polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Plan122 polycounter lvl 6

Replies

• EEEnt_OFFICIAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EEEnt_OFFICIAL polycounter lvl 2
    As some would say: less is more. I myself have an affinity for low-poly content. It's easier to produce and helps reduce performance issues. Sorry if it doesn't fully correlate with what you're saying but I do think that small games can be successful, even with a less realistic art direction.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't be another douchebag that calls AAA garbage, you haven't a clue how much hard work goes into it.

We have quite a few actual AAA developers who post here, that's demeaning, not to mention career suicide.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Eric Chadwick I don't think he's QUITE doing that, but I can see a tone of that.

@Plan122 The core of your encouragement for others to not attempt to match the art direction of certain triple-A companies is understandable.  You're making the same argument Blizzard at its core does: Gamplay first.  You're making the core argument USC Games made to its students like me: "The prototype is more valuable."

Also, you gotta avoid run-on sentences.
  • CrackRockSteady
    haha he literally said "...so don't try and produce the garbage they make,"

Also, making a blanket statement about AAA games being "shit" isn't going to endear you or your post to anyone, and following such a statement with "no offense but its true" doesn't make it, you know, any less offensive.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    You should re-sentence your OP so it only says gameplay is more important than graphics. There is an argument to be made that video games should prioritize being fun and trying to push forward new innovative concepts, instead of being just showcases for graphics. 

If that is not your intent and you wanted to create a thread bashing down AAA,  well, disregard my post.

I'm an artist whose criticisms extends to creating better gameplay in games only.  :| The AAA industry does its own thing to survive because they have to make money. I don't let that effect me for trying to focus on gameplay. 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would be weary of posting on a forum filled with AAA developers and just painting everything they do as garbage with a broad brush. If you are planning on entering the game industry at any point you might want to think about having some tact.

I do totally agree with keeping the scope of personal productions small, and in most cases I think 99% of indie projects are destined to become vaporware without at least a small team and more importantly funded team with an actual production budget. 

To be honest your post kind of comes off as someone lacking any actual hands on industry experience, and more of a rant on how they personally think things should work but cant properly convey why.
  • Plan122
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't be another douchebag that calls AAA garbage, you haven't a clue how much hard work goes into it.

We have quite a few actual AAA developers who post here, that's demeaning, not to mention career suicide.
    I didn't mean offend people in the industry who work for AAA companies I am more trying to target those who are making there first game, As I see a lot of people trying to replicate AAA studios and in my opinion that is a fault majority of new comers have and they wonder why they don't succeed or well just don't finish..i'm not being a douche bag well trying to not be I know this is a very touchy subject for some but I am not trying to discredit the talent behind the AAA studios as they have pretty good talent and are some of the best, I personally know former employees of such studios...what I am trying to say is that no matter what they will be able to make there money back well on most games as they are trusted lets be real here games like Call Of Duty are rubbish well they have turned rubbish but they will always make money on them because people trust them and the general consumer doesn't know any better, Majority of people I know who actually play C.O.D haven't even played the campaign I sure have and well it's lacking....and I will say it again I am NOT discrediting the Devs but more so the CEO's....    
  • Plan122
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha he literally said "...so don't try and produce the garbage they make,"

Also, making a blanket statement about AAA games being "shit" isn't going to endear you or your post to anyone, and following such a statement with "no offense but its true" doesn't make it, you know, any less offensive.
    Yea probably should of worded that differently, It was a rant and I was trying to get my point across that AAA studios can basically do whatever and no matter what they will still make money on it, I didn't mean to offend I meant to show/tell new comers that you don't need fancy crazy graphics to get there foot in the door.
  • Plan122
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN said:
    You should re-sentence your OP so it only says gameplay is more important than graphics. There is an argument to be made that video games should prioritize being fun and trying to push forward new innovative concepts, instead of being just showcases for graphics. 

If that is not your intent and you wanted to create a thread bashing down AAA,  well, disregard my post.

I'm an artist whose criticisms extends to creating better gameplay in games only.  :| The AAA industry does its own thing to survive because they have to make money. I don't let that effect me for trying to focus on gameplay. 
    Yes, looking back on it now I did word my post wrong, my main point was not to compare yourself to AAA studios as I see alot of people making there first games who shoot for the moon and well fail quite badly and then leave the industry I am just trying to get new comers to realize that yes they can make it without crazy funding and or insane graphics , as to a true gamer graphics isn't what makes a game.
  • Plan122
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay to clear it up I didn't mean to offend people and shit on all AAA studios the point I was trying to get across was that a whole bunch of people who are starting out use there work as a example and try and make something to that scale with crazy graphics etc they just forget that these company's have a lot of funding and also have the teams for it......I am sorry to those I have offended..
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It's cool.

I had a suspicion that was the case.