Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Helmet WIP

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator

Hey guys, I’m looking for any kind of feedback at this point, but mainly on design at this stage.

This is a lunch break project, so I get about an hour in each weekday, I’m one week in and have the initial blockout in, but I’m still iterating on design with paintovers and stuff.  I made the concept from photobashing internet images I found and painting in some ideas of my own. 

The goal is to make a scifi helmet using zbrush for modeling, substance for texturing and marmoset for rendering.  I want to get this done at a high level of quality as fast as possible.  I have some workflow ideas to keep things moving fast, I’ll share them as I go.

The main idea I have is a sci-fi helmet with a mix of different material and showing severe damage as well.  I have decided to not do the damage on his right side of face (which you can see in the concept), but I’ll damage him up in his left eye as you see, and his lower left jaw area (I have yet to do any of this).  The red face covering part is supposed to be leather with some stiches in areas, and its supposed to be very A symmetrical.

Currently, the next thing I’m planning to do is gather some specific reference for straps and stuff so it looks a bit more logical in its design.  Again any feedback welcome, thanks for stopping bye!

Concept:

Current Sculpt:

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Some more progress on this.  1. and 3. are painted over a bit as I'm still working on design and how I'm gonna detail this up.
  • kreativbloc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kreativbloc polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man. Good idea about limiting this to lunch break as it forces you to make decision to move forward. I've done it as practice and it forces you to make decisions and not fiddle around. Anyway, really like the concept image mashup. From the 3/4 angle if feels like its wider at the back and that makes it feel sturdier that the sculpt. Also the circle on the forehead area seems to be straight forward not tilted like in the sculpt. Not really feeling the straps on this although the exposed "exo skeleton" on the jaw area is a nice touch. Added it to my favorites, so ill follow this moving forward. Keep at it.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, thanks for the feedback!  I agree with everything you said and I'll make some adjustments accordingly.  I'll probably keep the straps for now as it might make for good material breakup later, but well see.  Thanks again!