Home Technical Talk

Cad software for hard surface modeling?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
Hi there!

So I have been wondering whether CAD software might be the better package to create my high poly models with. I've seen some pretty nifty functions possible in CAD type software that are just simply not possible in Max, Maya or ZBrush. Does anybody have experience in this?

Now my main question is. Which cad-software is the best for creating 3D shapes (not caring about functionality or stress testing)?

Replies

• 2bytes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    Moi is the fastest for concepts...Fusion 360 has a slower workflow but more features.
  • 2bytes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    The rest are more technical, and more suitable for Engineering needs.
  • YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moi looks like the type of program I'm looking for. In case I am going to extend on this workflow then I might look into moving to Fusion. Thanks!
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    I would seriously look at Rhino, its easy to use, very powerful and stable.
    We use it extensively when working with CAD, and we've even quickly modelled stuff directly in it, bypassing Maya/Max.
    Fusion is also worth a look.

In many ways, these packages are superior in much of their modelling capability, the issue is though, you're often dealing with NURBS and not actual polygons, and though you can convert NURBS to polys which works fine, you won't get the kind of clean topology that you would get if you 'hand' modelled. You'd have to retopo.

• YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey said:
    I would seriously look at Rhino, its easy to use, very powerful and stable.
    We use it extensively when working with CAD, and we've even quickly modelled stuff directly in it, bypassing Maya/Max.
    Fusion is also worth a look.

In many ways, these packages are superior in much of their modelling capability, the issue is though, you're often dealing with NURBS and not actual polygons, and though you can convert NURBS to polys which works fine, you won't get the kind of clean topology that you would get if you 'hand' modelled. You'd have to retopo.

I understand. I have however found myself waste a lot of time doing the "how do I make this flow correctly" when hard surface modeling.

I saw some videos online where people didn't need to do this because they worked in a CAD product. Since I create assets for games exclusively I will use the CAD model as the High poly surface and then the Low I will create in 3Ds Max or another package. 

Do you happen to know how fluently this process works?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @beefaroni introduced me to spaceclaim and we're on the warpath learning it lately: http://www.spaceclaim.com/ pretty fast to pickup and some powerful features without any fluff.  
    Just got my hands on the trial. Damn this program has some wonky navigation controls. And it's restricted in what you can change them to... :(
  • 2bytes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    The creator of Rhino, also created Moi...so he knows his stuff.  He created Moi for speed and ergonomic UI.  It's a solid modeler, so mostly Boolean tools.  Rhino is a surface modeler, so the tools focus on splines.   For concepts, and anything that remains purely digital...keep it simple.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It's a yearly circle - a high profile 3d artist or concept artist releases a few videos showing that [insert name of popular CAD software of the day] was useful to improvise some clean hardsurface models, and then the CAD discussion starts all over again :) 

But cynicism aside : how does one get to try Spaceclaim ? Last time I looked into these apps and "requested a demo" it only led to chatting with some reps on the phone. But maybe it was for another suite, can't quite remember.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
     A lot of us keep up with CAD tools as inspiration for developing sub-d tools, altering workflows or to perform very specific tasks, but every time I see a thread like this I can't help but think to myself that here is another person who can't cope with the challenges of sub-d. So that's what you need to ask yourself, have you mastered sub-d? Because if not, it's likely you will not master CAD, and considering how superior sub-d is in terms of flexibility and efficiency, a divided focus may be the opposite of what you need at this stage.
    I understand what you say. And there is certainly a point in what you say that applies to me. I have not mastered sub-d yet but I can get the job done most of the times.

I'm not looking for a replacement in my workflow. Merely an addition. Main functions I see myself using and having great advantage is Booleans & Filletting. 

On the topic:
    I'm trying out MOI this week and see if it fits. In case it is too restrictive I will move to Fusion 360, Thanks to everybody for replying!
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    It basically comes down to 'different strokes for different folks', but the overlap is getting bigger. There's very good reasons why CAD modelling software is used for what it does, and while some time ago it was easy to simply dismiss it for anything other than for things like product design and manufacturing, things are changing.
    For years in games and vfx, models are more or less expected to have good and clean topology and with good reason. But now there are examples and situations emerging where you might not necessarily need this. Some of the auto tessellation and LOD/optimisation tools are becoming very good now, and in some cases what they produce is adequate, depending on the type of asset of course. We're not perhaps at a stage where these tools can replace huge steps in pieplines, and many are sceptical but the tech is definitely maturing. 
  • kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    There is rarely an instance where modeling in CAD software and retopo-ing is faster than a sub-D workflow, even for the novice modeler. It may be more intuitive to model complex objects in an "easier" software package at first, but the time taken to understand how to model a low poly asset that subdivides well to a high poly model for baking and will require few edits to be game ready is a far more efficient workflow. 
  • 2bytes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    Retopologizing a CAD model is missing the point.   The only reason to use this workflow in games and VFX is when the topology is irrelevant.    There are plenty of situations when that is perfectly acceptable.   Another hidden gem is that UVs and normals will be done as well.  Uvs would need work...but they go a long way.