Edit

LVG
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
LVG polycounter lvl 12

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    My two cents:

The environment you've currently got in your portfolio is really strong.  Maybe post some of the other work you've got here so people can gauge how strong it is in comparison.  If it is significantly weaker I would recommend leaving it out and just stick to showing your strongest work.

As far as non-industry related work experience, it probably doesn't hurt to have it on there but personally when I'm looking at a potential candidate's resume I honestly don't care about anything that doesn't relate to game art experience, whether that be professional experience or mod team work or whatever.  I don't care where you went to school or what jobs you've had outside the industry.  I look at portfolio and relevant work experience.

As far as including unpaid work experience/internships/whatever, I would definitely include that since it is relevant to the position you're seeking.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    there is one thing missing from all the things you have been doing that you listed. Actual portfolio work.

Right now it seems you are kinda having paralysis by analysis, looking at all this info online and trying to figure out your next course of action, when in reality, deep down you probably know the answer. Output more high quality work.

It might sound like I am oversimplifying it but thats all it really comes down to. Your current portfolio Doesnt have enough content to really show your ability to tackle a wide range of environments. The execution is pretty well done in terms of modeling/texturing, so it shows you have a solid foundation of the game art workflow. I would say the lighting is a bit all over the place with too many different colors/and really scattered bright areas that makes it hard to focus on any one central thing, which shows you could work on your lighting, color and composition skills.

All of those things will get better with more time and practice, and that's exactly what you should be doing at the moment. Polishing your CV is going to get you about a 1-2% gain, having 2-3 more environments showing consistent improvement with each is going to net you the other 90%, throw in some networking and you have the other 5-10% of the missing picture.

here is exactly what I would do step by step:

1. Figure out a couple studios you would really want to work at.
    2. Find current environment artists who work there through linked in/artstation and look at their portfolios.
    3. Hold your work up against theirs and the games the studios put out and try to get the quality level at least the same, if not better.
    4. Get to work.
    5.Work some more.
    6. once you have a couple more baller pieces, start to reach out to those people in linked in messages or through art station and ask for a quick critique or some feedback, and find some way to provide value to that person. probably 1-2 out of 10 will respond, which is normal
    7. This is critical: whatever feedback that person gives you....make sure you actually implement it and follow through. now not only are you starting to get on these peoples radar, but you are showing you are open to critique and can implement feedback. Plus if someone takes the time to give you feedback and it goes unused....they probably wont bother next time. Avoid the common excuse "thanks I will incorporate those tips in my next project"
    8. Work some more.
    9. in your spare time, provide some value to the game art community by posting critiques on other peoples work and participating in discussions. This also helps get you on industry peoples radar.
    10. Once you have  a super high quality portfolio start applying at relevant studios when you see job openings, and from time to time (space it out) reach out to the people you have built relationships with over the last year or so of busting your ass and ask if there are any open spots on their teams. A lot of times, studios will ask around internally and hire someone before the job even gets posted.

Basically, put out a bunch of awesome new work and post it everywhere to get as many eyes on it as possible, while gradually building relationships with industry artists. The key though is to make your portfolio so awesome, you have people consistently asking you if you are looking for a new position. Then you have the power to be choosy with where you work and will be much happier.

A final note....and this is a common misconception I find most recent graduates have: Your competition isn't your fellow grads looking for work, its people already in the industry. get your work to their level instead of comparing it to your peers work. You will make huge strides and improve a lot faster. But mainly it just comes down to putting your head down, executing the work with consistency and self discipline. Hope this helps :)
  • LVG
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    My two cents:

The environment you've currently got in your portfolio is really strong.  Maybe post some of the other work you've got here so people can gauge how strong it is in comparison.  If it is significantly weaker I would recommend leaving it out and just stick to showing your strongest work.

As far as non-industry related work experience, it probably doesn't hurt to have it on there but personally when I'm looking at a potential candidate's resume I honestly don't care about anything that doesn't relate to game art experience, whether that be professional experience or mod team work or whatever.  I don't care where you went to school or what jobs you've had outside the industry.  I look at portfolio and relevant work experience.

As far as including unpaid work experience/internships/whatever, I would definitely include that since it is relevant to the position you're seeking.
    I appreciate that, I honestly think I'd rather just produce new better content, and thank you for the advice and your view on that i think the answer is clear then, thank you

@PixelMasher I appreciate you taking the time to write all that and couldn't agree more, I was simply unsure of what to be doing I thought I would need more and  just wanted some advice, that's an incredibly eye opening reply, I already know from your little critique as well as others what I need to focus on improving and I will spend the coming months consistently trying to produce more work, I can't thank you enough it's a strong motivation and really helpful guide  for myself and whomever finds this

thanks again both of you!
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13

6. once you have a couple more baller pieces, start to reach out to those people in linked in messages or through art station and ask for a quick critique or some feedback, and find some way to provide value to that person. probably 1-2 out of 10 will respond, which is normal
    As an introvert, I know I should be doing this, but it freaks me out so much! 
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    @RustySpannerz  I get it, the industry is filled with a wide gamut of introverts, people with social anxiety etc.

Really, if you are going to be working in a production environment, you are going to have to learn to talk to random people on the team, especially if you are working at a larger studio, its pretty unavoidable. You are going to need to push your comfort zone a bit if you really want success.

Just remember, its just another person whos passionate about 3d just like you, and most people feel flattered when asked for advice or tips etc. sure it can be scary for certain personality types, but people also tend to thrive when they step out of comfort. starting to network within the industry will really open a lot of doors along your career :)