Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Theater Room

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
JasonNorman polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone, my name is Jason Norman and I am a 3D Environment major at Laguna College of Art and Design.
I am in the beginnings of a new project and thought this would be a perfect chance for me to share my experience with you here.
I am very welcome to any feedback so please feel to drop a comment! Thank you!

This project is beginning as a class assignment but I plan on taking it past the semester course and into my senior year.
I will be creating an ornate theater room located on a colony spacecraft. The theater will have a traversable first and second floor with a small elevator connecting the two. The first floor will be the bulk of the environment with a focus on the center stage with dinning arrangements spread throughout the floor. The second floor will be a VIP room with much smaller space but more ornate objects.

I started off by creating a small background story and set up mood-boards for the two sections of he level. I want to aim for a contrast between an open and inviting theater room versus a small secluded VIP room.

Replies

• JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have also begun the blockout and placement of the key components of the scene beginning with the Theater Room itself. I plan to focus on this section of the Environment while in class and continue with the VIP room once the semester and this section is complete.

• RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    This is a really cool idea, and very well planned out. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! 
  • JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @RustySpannerz! I will be posting at least once a week with progress. I'm expecting it to run through summer with all the plans I have for it.
    For this week I was focusing on modeling the walls, floors and steps. Going to be working on the ceiling and getting all of these textured for the coming week. Also, Im trying to work in how Im going to incorporate lighting. Im not sure if I want hanging lights or built in lights at the moment.

• JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went in and laid a base for the tiling texturing in the scene. I used my planed color scheme from my reference sheet but adjusted how I wanted to use them. I originally planned to use more red in the scene but wasn't happy with how it was looking so I decided to use it for accents instead. I would love some feedback on this if anyone has some!

• JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all! Coming in with another update on the environment.
    I was working primarily on the stage area. I decided to make a wooden stage to help tie in some future assets. I also changed the dance floor to wood to connect it directly to the stage where the performance would take place.

• JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update on this. Looking forward to m Summer break I'm going to be coming back through and refining a lot of what I didn't have time do do during class!

• hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good so far, interesting concept and layout. Those chairs are looking a little squat though, might be helpful to keep a human scale reference in the scene for comparison. 
  • Xelar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelar polycounter lvl 2
    I think you have some good ideas but you need to pick a consistent style.
    The references are modern architecture, new american, rococo, scifi and then your actual scene is a different style once again. At least try to limit yourself to 2 styles and apply them consistently.