Home Career & Education

The tales of the unemployed clueless!

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
VoxArcana polycounter lvl 4
Hello there!
I'm a game design undergraduate student living in Brazil.
I was luckly working at an indie studio for the past year and a half, I learned a looooot about game production and my job was to do every character of their games (I love it), but recently all of the team was fired and the games dropped in to that kind of weird and dark gurgling limbo where all the incomplete and finished in a hurry games go due to management problems and shit
Ok then, "with the amount of experience and speed I've gained and my not so bad portfolio should'nt be SOOO hard to live by freelance or to find a job, everybody does it" - I thought.

Right away I applied for a job that seems the perfect job for me, an indie company wanted a 3D generalist to do fantasy hand painted art (MY FAVOURITE STYLE YEAAAAH), I sent my folio, I went to the interview full of confidence and destroyed their hearts with magnificence and I did pretty good so they sent me the test, full of eagerness I sat down and gave everything I've got in the time limit they proposed (some assets to be made in 16 hours but they didn't established a deadline, I can even show it for the sake of curiosity because they asked to post it in sketchfab for easier viewing) all happy and full of confidence I was thinking "OKAY I'll start working next month and I have nothing to worry about paying the bills"  :)  < THIS IS THE FACE OF THE MISTAKE! I am still waiting their reply, I know they will reply me because I also know people inside and they are not one of those companys which in Brazil we would call "pau no cu" (sorry I don't know how to translate this properly but it would be something like a stick in the arsehole) and then I asked for my friend "why is it taking so long?" they're waiting for the other applicant tests who actually take an ENTIRE ETERNITY to do something you have to do in 16 hours... You might think I'm kinda anxious impatient guy, sadly yes, working on it.
Even if I am confident I cant sit here waiting forever for their response that is not taken for granted, then I started looking for another jobs and freelances

a month goes by, the bills and college aren't going to pay themselves, and I realized the harsh truth:
DAMN I SUCK AT FINDING WORK

Maaaaaaaaaaaan how I suck. I realized I don't really even know where to begin. I have my portfolio, but how should I use it? I'm desperately looking for advices of how to go after these things, specially FREELANCES which I'm even more clueless, it seems so easy for other people

I'm not here to get spoon-fed, I'm here to learn how to be an independant professional!

Replies