Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Robot Hangar

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
DerpingTimmy polycounter lvl 8

Hey guys! Hope you had a great Easter! 

Concept is done by the amazing concept artist, Carlos NCT Torres, who I brainstormed together with. Carlos and I decided to go for a bad ass robot with a small environment. 

As I am going into the deep with hard surface modeling, I am doing a lot of research into references and hard surface workflow.

A small moodboard of the references gathered. ( I usually pinterest for 10-30 min for my breakfast to get the creative juices flowing) 

Currently im getting out of the detailed blockout stage and working on the high poly of the robot. 

The robot will have mechanical interior as I want to be able to show off that the robot is human made, rather than being the next in a dozen sci fi alien robots. 

I hope this explains what I mean haha. 

I have spent a few days fleshing out the environment. The basic idea for the environment is a hangar underground. I decided on this idea as it will create a nice mix of materials, the rough rock against the clean sci-fi.

Moodboard 
aaannd, here is my blockout of the environment. 

Still a ton left to do but progressing everyday. Let me know what you guys think! Feedback is very much appreciated!
- Cheers

- edit: A few typos

Replies

• DerpingTimmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The past week I have been very bussy with the legs! I started the high poly and a lot of designing goes into it even though there is a refined blockout, haha.
    Very happy with the progress so far. :)

• Antheavl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Antheavl polycounter lvl 4
    the details on the high poly look amazing! cant wait to see the result :smile:
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Yep nice choice for the scene !  It turns really really great ! Subscribed and thanks for sharing ;)
  • DerpingTimmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Antheavl Thanks! Working hard as always :)
    @ macoll Thanks for the compliments and sub.

If you guys have any feedback it is very appreciated!

I have also been working hard this week to get the hips done and wanted to share my progress.
    White parts are still blockout. I included them so you can see how the connection will be.

Headlight close up
    Assembled view.

• DerpingTimmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another week another update.
    been working on blockin the upper section and as well just concepting the panelling on the plates. Not too happy with it but thats why its concepting right?  :)

Been working on some more inside pieces. Have finally figured out the inner top piece. It is basically a big mesh with smooth cuts. holding everything in place.
    Not the prettiest solution in my opinion but it works.

Whats up next is finishing the rest of the remaining outer blockouts this week, 4 remaining pieces left. Hope to get them done by the end of next update. Stay tuned for more!

• DerpingTimmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a few weeks, apologies for not updating. I haven't abandoned ship just yet!

On the contrary. I have been crunching a lot since the last time I posted to get the high poly done. Which I finished this week and already made a start on the low poly.

I would gladly show off my renders, I'm very happy how the high poly turned out.

I do have one question.
    I'm already thinking ahead about the UV's and I am wondering, as this thing is super large. what would be a good texel to use? I am already planning of splitting up a lot. I.E the legs, hips, engine, front plates and top will get their own map. Or would there be a better approach?

As always, stay tuned for more! :)

• DerpingTimmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got another highpoly render I did for fun / some lookdev while working hard on the lowpoly. I will share that soon! :)

• BallistikBiskit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BallistikBiskit polycounter lvl 2
    Looking really good! I was thinking -the footprint of each leg is tiny, like that's a lot of pressure and weight on one small area, i think it's likely the legs would pierce through any surface they were placed on. If you're not up for altering the 'feet' to rectify this, perhaps adding some sort of 'dock' for each leg to reinforce the idea they need a hardened area to stand on? Or signs/footprints of where the machine has walked? Just a thought, keep up the good work.
  • DerpingTimmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ BallistikBiskit, Thanks for the feedback! I really like the dock idea. As I currently don't have much time to redesign the legs; plus I like them being tiny but they feel indeed floaty.
    Once i'll have my robot done for my graduation ill revisit the scene and update this post accordingly.

Ill post some more images of my Unreal scene very soon. Currently working on my lighting and some post processing as my final deadline is next week Monday I hope to get something decent before the weekend and ill post it here for journal and feedback purposes.
  • DerpingTimmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all! I have officially graduated! 
    Here is the final result. Thanks for everything guys!! :) 

After my graduation I will be continuing the environment and hopefully a short cinematic like video. 

Here's the video showing off the robot!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qVMKEKuTNU 

• Pachinno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pachinno polycounter lvl 3
  • Pachinno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pachinno polycounter lvl 3
    Really nice dudeeeee, when are you allowing the germans pass through your country?