Home Technical Talk

Normal Map Help: What Am I Missing?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ricky polycounter lvl 12
Hi,
I thought I understood that you had to split a mesh on its UVs where there was a hard edge, but this has both worked and not worked, and I can't figure out why. Here is the simple model that shows it both working and not in two different areas:

The last image shows that the plate at the top has worked. The plate part and its sides that go up to the ceiling are two separate UV islands, because there is a hard edge between them on the low-res model. The normal map has worked as expected here, making it appear smooth. However, where the plate joins the main beam to the floor, there is a noticeable edge. This problem is also shown on every corner of the beam itself, with each face a separate UV island.

The normal map:

Replies

• Ricky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ricky polycounter lvl 12
    Fixed using a custom cage with xNomral. Reading up on why it worked now, as I don't really see what difference it made. 

Can't seem to find a way to delete this topic, so you can if you want to. 
    Thanks ^^
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The difference is that some baking apps split the rays according to the hardness of the lowpoly model, and some don't.

Xnormal will require you to use a cage if you need rays to not miss anything if your low has hard edges, whereas Toolbag3 for instance will cast rays continuously regardless of the edges of the low being hard or not.
  • echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    You should also add some padding to your bake.  Without padding you'll get those seems as you move away from it (thanks to mips).