Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Nordic Winterland environment

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
DLoud polycounter lvl 15
So it has literally been years since I posted anything on polycount despite frequenting it almost everyday.  Time to fix that.  Here's my latest environment.  It was inspired by a concept from Anna Christenson and has been my pet project for waaaaaay too long.  Time to wrap it up and put it out into the world

If anyone has any questions or would like to see some more detailed breakdowns feel free to ask!

Cheers!

Replies

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Nice! Though I"m not sure the stylized feeling proportions of the models totally gels with the more realistic take on the texturing.
  • AdamFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamFlake null
    Looks great!

A couple of questions if you don't mind, Is the snow on the buildings are decals or is it layered materials? Can you show a birds-eye view of the map? The mountains behind the village (the blurry ones) are all the same mesh?
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    That's very good for a stylized envi ! I really like the mood of the scene and the lighting is 5 stars, gratz. Perhaps the DOF from near is a bit strong...
    Don't forget to sell it at the MarketPlace imo, gg  ;)
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15

@FreneticPonies
    I can totally get that.  I was going for a style that's akin to what you see in the fable games, specifically fable legends.

@AdamFlake
    The snow on the buildings is a layered material.  It's being driven with vertex color and a heightmap.  I'm also doing some displacement in the snow layer to make it feel puffy.  I'm not sure if the displacement was that successful though.  The mountains and the vast majority of the ground is all using UE4's landscape system.  The initial landscape heighmap was generated in world machine.  Here's a bird's eye pic.

@macoll
    Thanks for the kind words!  I definitely agree with the DOF.  after watching the movie a few times it is harsh in some spots.  I see you have a couple projects up on the marketplace.  I haven't put anything up there before.  Any suggestions on how to approach it? organizing assets in the project, etc?  I was pretty diligent with naming conventions and folder structure.  Does the marketplace expect any kind of standard with this stuff?