Home Career & Education

Education Question: Academics + Social Life

nima0041
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
nima0041 polycounter lvl 2

Hi! :)

I have a question that I hope people who know more about "game schools" can answer. After many months of consideration and research, I have decided an education in game design / development is right for me. I have always been interested in designing worlds and locations and actually forging them into unique experiences.

One school has had my focus for a while: DigiPen. While DigiPen does offer the rigorous academics I'm seeking, it doesn't provide the social aspect I'm looking for. I enjoy the out-of-school events in a typical college experience, such as the frequent parties. Therefore, I've had my eyes on two other schools:

• University of Utah and their EAE program

• Savannah College of Art & Design's Interactive Design and Game Development program, which is much less technical than DigiPen and Utah's programs, but will allow me to develop more as a designer and artist, which I prefer

So finally, here comes my question: does anyone have some insight into these three schools, and any recommendations for "game design" schools that offer both rigorous academics and the typical college social life? As a side note, I realize most people will recommend me getting a normal CS degree, however, I prefer my education to have an design/art focus as that is my main interest, and then I'll take on programming on the side!

Thank you so much for reading!

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    In before the don't go to school and learn on your own crowd. 

I went to SCAD. It was fine. Typical college experience, location etc. Savannah is a really nice town, lots of stuff to do and culture. I made lifelong friends there, some of whom live and work close to me here in LA and I'm thankful for their friendship and meeting them at school.

There are a few caveats to the school however. It's expensive and the financial stress this puts on you or your family if you have to take out loans, is not worth it. Financially I would recommend that you spend a year at a community or state school completely liberal arts credits like speech, composition etc. This could potentially save you tens of thousands. IE one class at SCAD is like 3 grand. One class at a state school was $600. The credits transferred without a problem. 

I can't comment on the quality of the classes as I did not depend on them for learning explicit skills. Regardless of which school you go to; never depend on classes or professors to teach you all you need to know. Treat assignments as deliverables like you would have in the industry. Use classes as guidelines for your own self education.

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    nima0041 said:

I enjoy the out-of-school events in a typical college experience, such as the frequent parties. 

All I will say is that I wouldn't have gotten a job out of school if I had continued partying as I did the first year of college. Don't go into Game Art / Game Design if you want a typical college experience. You will have to put in a ton of work in order to be competitive out of school. 

What you do in class will most likely not be enough to land you a job.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I guess there is nothing wrong with parties and all that things, its not like game art students are different than other students/human beings. Still there is the basic truth that art is a skill that needs training. Unlike things that you simple can learn, it really needs training = hours put into it. And you are actually appyling with your work that shows your level. Don't expect that there is a 'beginner level' for those that get out of college. There is far too much competition and the companies don't need to settle with entry level artist - not at all.

As someone who started late with 3D and switched education even before that I understand that its simply not the case that people come out of highschool and know what real life is about and what they want from it. I also understand that urge to party and make those experiences. Maybe they are even necessary for the development of a person and most probably they are more benefical than just sitting in class and at your computer for 100 hours a week improving your skills.

BUT you have to accept the fact that those years of partying are wasted years when it comes to getting a job because the kid that spent 100 hours working on his skills each week will get it (and most probably there are more students that put in this kind of workethic than there are good jobs). Its your choice what you want from life.
  • NicolasKruzel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasKruzel polycounter lvl 2
    One thing I want to say is that don't expect to learn all you need to know going into college. I am going for my B.A. in Game Art and Development. The main reason I went for it is connections and to eventually get an M.F.A., so I can teach university level one day. I can honestly say I haven't learned as much as I wish I had and I spend all my free time working hard on forums, tutorials, pluralsight, etc. Depending on the college, they offer great connections which has already lined my up for a 3D modeling, Lighting, and Rendering job for a company. Not game design yet, but it's great experience. 

As people have already said, don't go into it looking to have the whole college experience. That being said, you should be fine going out for drinks a few times as long as you keep up with rigorous classwork and learning more outside class. Just manage time wisely. Good luck!