Home Career & Education

Portfolio feedback. Where to from here?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone what's crackin? I just want to get some feedback on where I am at. If I am up to the level where I could be trying to get junior roles and applying for job etc. I know I still have a long way to go but keen on suggestions on what I should do next. What is lacking etc. Just feel a bit lost at the moment.

My artstation is here https://www.artstation.com/artist/johneyre

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Stuart Campbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stuart Campbell polycounter lvl 13
    I think you're on the right track. Main thing missing here is wireframes and breakdowns of your textures and UV layouts so employers can assess the technical side of things. 

I'd put some notes on the images too. For example, vert/tri count, texture sizes, engine used, etc. It might be in the sidebar somewhere but don't make people go hunting for information.

Also, don't feel pressured to keep your older work just to fill out the folio. Only show your absolute best work. Any older or sub-standard pieces will only drag down the overall quality of your folio.

For me, I'd remove the Monkey Island piece as its nowhere near the standard of your pirate cabin. Same with the medieval lantern, carronade and misc props. If you need more content, do another piece and try to raise the level beyond your best work.

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    I think you're on the right track. Main thing missing here is wireframes and breakdowns of your textures and UV layouts so employers can assess the technical side of things. 

I'd put some notes on the images too. For example, vert/tri count, texture sizes, engine used, etc. It might be in the sidebar somewhere but don't make people go hunting for information.

Also, don't feel pressured to keep your older work just to fill out the folio. Only show your absolute best work. Any older or sub-standard pieces will only drag down the overall quality of your folio.

For me, I'd remove the Monkey Island piece as its nowhere near the standard of your pirate cabin. Same with the medieval lantern, carronade and misc props. If you need more content, do another piece and try to raise the level beyond your best work.

Awesome thanks for the reply.

I wasn't sure about the technical stuff, definitely something I could add easily. Being port folio works I don't strip down the poly count as much as I could. Should I really go out of my way to make the polycount as small as possible or just showing good edge flow etc is more important?

Should I put the engine logo and tools as an image in the corner?

I'll remove the older work now. Thanks again
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I wouldn't go out of your way to lower the polycount but make sure you are using efficient models at least.  Don't have decimated pieces in your meshes...good edge flow should be good enough.  I would put engine logo in for sure...I use marmoset on anything I render for my character stuff.  Stuff looks pretty good though man.  The pirate scene looks the most polished to me.  Maybe show some of those props by themselves with breakdowns in the same sheet?