Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Zhang Jia Jie Mountain

Hello everyone,
This is my latest level:

This time I tried the Chinese wind.

Reference to a number of Chinese scenes, such as Zhangjiajie scenery, some of the top of the temple scene. Carried out the fusion.

The use of dynamic light: and skylight, and not use fill light

Two huge stones, 4 medium stones, a small stone. Are ZB engraving, baking.

Temples and plants to increase style.

Clouds and fog are used to increase the atmosphere, the feeling of wonderland.

The whole show is close to nature, but there are some ancient people dug, and building traces. High mountain peaks, showing a chaotic and natural order. Ancient temples are like on the mountains, is a very interesting thing

Scene screenshot:

My video address:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZwE2fJ68ZU4

Unreal 4 is now landing on the official mall:

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...iajie-mountain

my mail:

ma3781666@aliyun.com

Replies

• machuanglqy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rock / Mountain production process

• The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Impressive, love the third picture. One thing - I feel like the mist particle could be more transparent/subtle.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your shots in general just come off as very messy.  You have a lot of stuff in each shot, and its all fighting for attention.  I can barely make out the ground, I don't have a strong interest in the temple, or going inside.

I took your first shot, which I think is the strongest as it has a focal point, and brought it into photoshop.  One thing I like to do often, is look at my level with with no saturation, removing all color so I can just focus on the value.  Ideally, your composition should pass the "squinty eye test" meaning if you squint your eyes, the image should still work, you should still be able to read the space, have a rough idea of what the space is trying to convey.  I just blurred your image to give the effect:

See how messy this looks? 

I did a really quick and dirty paintover to demonstrate what you want to be able to see:

I put emphasis on the ground, so you can see a path to move throughout the space, and pulled the building up higher, so its unmistakable.  The secondary building I did the same thing, it actually gets completely lost in your image.

Taking this a step further, I blurred my paintover even farther.

Even when its quite blurry, you can *still* read the image.

I think some things you could do are remove that fog, or at least, make it not so white, desaturate the green in the trees a little bit, pump up saturation on the red for the temples, and maybe fiddle with the lights a bit so you don't get as much shadow on the main path up to the temple as well as brightening up the materials on that path a bit.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    That is like, 90% awesome. But there's some heavy repetition and tiling like effects in the fog/clouds as well as the branches. And as @gsokol said, the overall composition of the scene feels cluttered. I think part of it is the color, not just the amount of stuff. Everything's highly saturated and it all kind of blends into itself. If the temple architecture say was a bright shiny red instead of a dull one it'd draw your eye more and give the whole thing more contrast.