Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hard-Surface / Environments Portfolio Critique

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
purplekami polycounter lvl 2
Hey Polycount, sorry to bother you guys with yet another portfolio critique, I'm a senior game artist entering his last semester of college and was wondering what projects could I accomplish over the course of this semester to have a portfolio in good shape. I'm unsure whether I should keep focusing exclusively on sci-fi / hard-surface, or if I should branch out my environments more, for example making a more traditional Victorian era scene.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/alexisfaintreny

Fortunately I've been learning a ton and working really hard over the last year trying to improve myself, unfortunately this also means I don't have very much work to show. Over the winter break I've been working on a sentry turret I plan on adding as well. (Thread here if curious: Link)

I really appreciate taking the time reading this and would be really thankful for any advice / feedback.

Replies

• Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi!
    I think the mech prototype facility is by far your strongest work.
    The mecha does not to bad either, but it is very hard to tell because I could only find a textured version with a wireframe on top of it - maybe add a "clean" presentation shot for this?
    Compared to the other ones, the courtyard looks very lackluster, I think I would take it out/replace it with newer work.
    In general the modeling looks quite solid, the overall texturing could still be improved a bit to the same level as the modeling :)
  • purplekami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    @Shylaron  Thank you for the feedback! Yeah I agree about the courtyard project, it was mostly to get my feet wet with making an environmnet, I'll try and replace it with something more demonstrative of my modeling skills. Also I'll re-do renders of the mecha since the background is also quite distracting.