Home Technical Talk

Zbrush File Organization / Bloated Incremental File Sizes

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
jengy polycounter lvl 12
Is there a way to reference separate Zbrush subtools as Tools in order to avoid bloating file size?
I often work incrementally to prevent losing work, but find that if I have an ZTool with lots of subtools, my file sizes are rather large. But I usually work on one thing (subtool) at a time once I hit the middle stage of my object.

Replies

• nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No you can't reference in external tools. There are some things you can do to decrease file size however: clearing masks, deleting morph targets, clearing polypaint, creating subD levels for dynameshes. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yeah I noticed that the project save (file) gets big fast. At a file size of greater than 5Gig the file will refuse to open, so now I have a standard project file saved in the ZProjects file folder that has the settings I like.  Its good for standard modelling and texturing and I just use the tool save which keeps the file size down. If I have a model with assets that make the tool size large I save the out as separate models, Like a character with a detailed weapon. Once I have the correct size for the rough asset I save it out as a separate tool so I can work on it further.

That seems to be the best solution at the moment, unless someone has a better one, I'd be galad to hear it.

Cheerio
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    In regards to keeping the file size of ZProjects down, I've found that turning off the saving of the Undo History helps a lot. You can do this in:
    Preferences -> Undo History -> (Deactivate) Enable Saving.

As for regular ZTools I try to avoid layers unless really necessary as the file size increases whenever one is created (similar to creating a duplicate of the SubTool).
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    In regards to keeping the file size of ZProjects down, I've found that turning off the saving of the Undo History helps a lot. You can do this in:
    Preferences -> Undo History -> (Deactivate) Enable Saving.

As for regular ZTools I try to avoid layers unless really necessary as the file size increases whenever one is created (similar to creating a duplicate of the SubTool).
    Good advice! Undo history off (sub tool only not a point), no layers and no morph targets.