Home Technical Talk

D3CRYPT3D 3D Encryption Software

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ranek polycounter lvl 8
For a long time, being a modeler and working in the industry, I have always felt that Modelers get the short end of the stick.  Things get re textured, models get hijacked and studios just kind of store models and stock pile them up. Some people will even resell models that don't belong to them. I used to see it all the time. Well,  my crew and I came out with a 3D encryption software to give models some protection.  This is the beginning of some new things we have been tinkering with. If you would like to sign up for the beta. Go to www.d3crypt3d.net  and register so we can send you a beta. Any feedback would be great!  I want to thank the polycount community for being such a treasure trove of learning for a craft that is now more important than ever.  Hope you guys like what we are making .  Hope to hear from you soon!  

Replies

• ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
      www.d3crypt3d.net   is where we are posting up. Wanted to drop it here first, cause well its polycount!  
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I didn't see one on your site; however it'd be neat if you guys posted an .obj that we could download to see how the encryption works for ourselves.
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    good idea!  Doing it now!
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    Putting up the file on the site now. Thanks for the idea mate. We'll Make it look pretty tomorrow. 
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    EAAAANgqOV/7+h/jfUc3PD3FnyMpSwlpWTtGrMGNHiwaqwhaVNYB0MWMoFU+FVMPZUktjbut2r2tYquZZnK3+yk9Obk2WsKZ3Tp+8wXoh1lmXuEQUsXwvcegshWyZe5CbRzWvg==   
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    Thats the key to this particular obj. Another key is located on the website. 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Why does it only work with OBJ files? Your "how to use" page states that once decrypted it can be used like a normal obj in any application which makes it sound like its just extracting from an encrypted container? 

How do you ensure that the user is connected to the internet? Does it need to retrieve a key required to decrypt the files?

If you can just open the file in any application then how can you possibly track it unless you only ever send the file to one person? If you have to send the OBJ to multiple people, your tracking log will have multiple IP addresses in it so what's to stop one of those people from just opening the file in Maya, saving it back out and distributing it knowing you can't know which IP address was used by the person responsible?

Edit: Sorry I don't mean to sound so negative, I'm glad someone is trying to solve this. It's just something I have thought about too and I have a difficult time avoiding the conclusion that this is just impossible to deal with. There are so many points of failure that we have no real control over as artists, especially in the game industry where the end consumers end up with a copy of the mesh that is easily ripped out of the game files (see: Skyrim community)

Perhaps this is more intended for other industries where that's not the case. Either way, I'm hoping you plan on supporting more than just OBJs.
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Atticus!   Yeah at the moment its obj files cause they are the most widely used format in 3d. We want to expand it even further but its just a beta and we are testing it out.   We ensure that the user is connected to the internet, well the program doesn't work other wise.  

As for the key for encryption. The first user of that file is the only person to place an encryption code on it. It doesn't stop you from making a new file from the encrypted one, but we have some plans for that in the future. Its not the total protection yet , but we are working on it.  This problem has been in my head for quite sometime, I just want to put out a great product that helps out our industry as a whole. 

Its still early in our testing so whatever suggestions you have, don't hesitate to tell us how to make a better product. 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Thanks for the response, it's a difficult task and I hope it works out for you guys.

If you haven't already you should hit up the Unity and Unreal engine forums, I think people who sell marketplace assets might be most interested in this since theirs are the most vulnerable to theft.
  • cgBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad polycounter lvl 5
    Doesn't sound like it does much more than if you simply encrypted it yourself and handed out the key to whomever you sold it to.

It's a tough problem that has been around for a long time and many smarter people than you have tried to solve it. DRM doesn't work. If people want it, they will find a way around it.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    cgBrad said:
    Doesn't sound like it does much more than if you simply encrypted it yourself and handed out the key to whomever you sold it to.

It's a tough problem that has been around for a long time and many smarter people than you have tried to solve it. DRM doesn't work. If people want it, they will find a way around it.

I don't think that insult was necessary, and as I understand it, it tries to address the problem by providing an easier means of accountability through IP logging. Simply sending an encrypted container to someone doesn't do that. 

DRM has had some success. Encrypted installations and the requirement to connect to the internet to activate games has basically eradicated pre-release leaks of PC games. For a long time it wasn't uncommon for retailer employees who got game copies early to dump them on the internet days before launch, now it's very rare.

For the most part DRM (in the games industry) has been focused on trying to delay/slow pirated releases of games, not stop it completely. The latter is much harder to do than the former, and the former could be more effective for niche products where there isn't as much demand such as 3D models.

I don't know, time will tell.
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    Hey thanks guys. I don't know if this is the magic bullet, but this has been in my head for quite sometime. Printers and models ripped from games are problematic. Early next year we will have a version that has several versions of encryption. Our main goal is to track and make sure that the author of the object has some control over where it goes and how many times it is opened. We are gonna open the beta to everyone. I'll post it up here when we do!
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    Just talked with some hardcore 3d printers who hate this product already. But being a modeler, it takes real work to make these things. Movie industry and music industry will go to great lengths to protect artists. I think its about time we do the same. What we do is a craft.
    Due to people hitting us up and we need more input to make this a thing. My crew and I are opening the beta to everyone.  you can visit our site and download it for yourself.

http://www.d3crypt3d.net/download.html

Any input will be good. Tell us how to make a better product! Thanks! 
  • cgBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgBrad polycounter lvl 5

I don't think that insult was necessary, and as I understand it, it tries to address the problem by providing an easier means of accountability through IP logging. Simply sending an encrypted container to someone doesn't do that.
    I mean I not sure it was really an insult, well maybe a backhand insult.

I mean the product is bad and he should feel bad, now that's an insult. It also happens to be true.

In order for this "DRM" to really have any more than no effect it would have to go much farther than simply providing an IP of the person decryption, because really once the decryption happens you have the original object. From there you can really do whatever you want with it.

So if you wanted to pay some guy for something that encrypts a file and provides you an IP of a person who decrypts it (possibly only the first time), that's fine. But to pretend that it would really honestly do anything meaningful is a joke and you are probably getting ripped off. I realize it's beta, but I'm not sure what the point is of even showing it at this point?
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    cgBrad. looking to see how and where we can make this better. need user input so we can see if and what sticks. its still green but its something. Something is always better than nothing. any crits are welcomed. We just need metrics before we get into the new year. 
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8

Our New Build is up and wanted to say thanks to all those who have tried it. I will always post up here when there are changes to this program. Hope this helps you out. This is a more comprehensive explanation of how our program works. 

www.d3crypt3d.net  for free trial

D3CRYPT3D utilizes AES-256 Bit cryptography to fully encrypt the 3D asset itself. During encryption, SHA-2 hashing is utilized to uniquely identify the asset and allow for tracking. Inside the encryption, identifying metrics are stored which allow for full tracking of the asset from the moment it is encrypted. These metrics remain with the .OBJ file after it is unencrypted. The metrics, however, remain in an encrypted form.  

D3CRYPT3D differs from Winzip and 7-zip in several ways:

FAQ

How is D3CRYPT3D different from WinZip or 7-Zip

1. There is no compression algorithm applied

2. The file type remains the same and can be opened in its native application, even in an encrypted state.

3. Asset tracking metrics are embedded in the encryption which allows for tracking throughout the lifecycle of the file.

4. The assets owner is identified by the calling card which gives the artist the ability to promote themselves and control their creations. When someone attempts to open the file, they are directed to the artist to contact them and request the access key.

Why would I want to use D3CRYPT3D

You spend countless hours on your 3D creations.  These files are sought after and worth real money.  Your assets by nature need to change hands after they are created. D3CRYPT3D allows you share your assets with authorized parties and gives you recourse should an asset become pirated or leaked.

The purpose of the beta is to get feedback on vulnerabilities and suggestions on enhancements and feature additions.

The first iteration of the software we release will initially be able to track down the source of a leak. The leak, however, will not be prevented.

In our second iteration of the software, we plan to integrate with several 3D software programs as a plugin and control permissions on the files from inside the programs. In addition, we will introduce a multilayered encryption which is highly enhanced and requires information from multiple separate cloud-based servers in order to properly unencrypt the file.

Without the plugin, you will not be able to unencrypt the file. After the file is unencrypted, what you can and can’t do with the file will be controlled based on the permissions granted by the owner.  

Down the line, we will introduce an encryption layer which will allow the file to remain in an encrypted state perpetually from the moment it is encrypted. This layer can then be integrated into gaming engines and 3D printers preventing the ripping of meshes from games while the assets are in play and preventing printing of unauthorized objects. If a person attempts to rip an asset, the resulting meshes will be unusable encrypted data.

We realize this is a never-ending battle. Our solutions will be defeated every so often, but our talented programmers will quickly patch the software vulnerabilities further enhancing the product.

Our cloud-based asset tracking and encryption will enable both artists and major corporate 3D asset holders to gain full transparency into the usage, dissemination, and proliferation of their assets in a managed and controlled fashion allowing them to maximize profits and snuff out piracy.

Our team has a deep and thorough knowledge of how data is stored and managed in Windows, Mac, and Pure Linux-based platforms such that we are able to architect systems and file structures in a manner which utilizes every functional aspect of a segment of data stored on a drive regardless of what platform the system is running.

We are not complicit with any government body. We champion protecting our user's data and strive to create an environment where the creator of an asset is in full control of their digital 3D assets.

D3CRYPT3D is by the artist, for the artist, and will always choose the artist first.

We need your support and feedback to help us in the endeavor of protecting 3D assets worldwide. Too much genius work is being stolen and will continue to be without this intellectual property protection. It’s time for D3CRYTP3D to protect our hard earned creations.

D3CRYPT3D. Protecting your ideas one polygon at a time.

FEATURES
    1. Strong Multi-Layered Encryption: Protect your valuable 3D assets from piracy

1. Prevents unauthorized access to your assets

2. Protects against piracy

3. The file type remains the same and can be opened in its native application, even in an encrypted state.

4. AES-256 Bit Encryption

1. Asset Tracking and Control: Know where your assets are and control access to them

1. Asset tracking metrics are embedded in the encryption which allows for tracking throughout the lifecycle of the file.

2. Monitor who is accessing your asset

1. Calling Card: Sign your 3D creations and drive access requests directly to you.

1. Displays your contact information when unauthorized parties attempt to access your file

2. Promotes your work and control your creations

How It Works

1. Download and Install D3CRYPT3D
    Installing D3CRYPT3D is as easy as downloading the app and installing in on your computer. It doesn’t require any configuration or maintenance. The software automatically checks for updates each time you run it ensuring you always have the latest version.

2. Register 

Once you have installed the software, register using a valid email address and create a password. You are now ready to begin encrypting and tracking your assets!

Begin Encrypting Files and Tracking Your Assets Encrypting your files is as easy as dragging and dropping them into the D3CRYPT3D application and clicking the encrypt button! You can drag entire folders of files or one file at a time.  Once you have encrypted your file, tracking and protection are now enabled.

• ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    Working on a cloud based system where models will be locked in cloud.  Getting written up in several publications now.  Much thanks to this community.   

The next iteration will have an update so that encrypted models will showcase the web address of the author and the email address to the model.  So would be users can now get the key from the author him/her self! 

• ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    Featured on Cg Channel today. Adding our new calling card feature by the end of the week. Allow anyone opening the file to know how to get in touch with the author. Super stoked! 
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8

Our New Calling Card Feature is out today. Getting to other file formats currently and Building out the IOS version.  Super happy that this feature is a thing now.  If you guys have any suggestions, sendem our way.  I posted up a video as well on the process of encrypting 3d Files!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYktfoH9nD4&t=2s

Thanks! 
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8

Our D3CRYPT3D Program is a finalist for the interactive innovation awards. Its been a second since I hit this forum up, but we have been talking to cgmarket places and various manufacturers about this tech.  The beta is the only one out but we've added some new features that will ensure more protection and documentation to 3D files. Beneficial to the creators or owners of the respective models. Super stoked that we are among the people presenting. Wanted to post up and share with you guys.  Our new version is more robust and will be launched soon. I'll keep updating here to let you guys know when new things are developing. Thanks!