Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RF Diamond Heavy Rifle

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
WolfGrizzly polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone, I just wrapped up this project and I wanted to share some of the final renders here. This was my first time designing / modeling a weapon and it was a lot of fun. Since it was my own project and vision, it was pretty liberating to just able to wing it and make whatever I wanted, but that was also the source of a lot of procrastination and hesitation in regards to making design decisions and sticking with them. This thing was a real challenge for me, but I learned a lot from this experience. Any feedback / crits / comments are welcome and I hope you guys like it!

Replies

• Macolik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macolik polycounter lvl 6
    Damn that looks so cool :)
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Looks awesome, the cable over the magazine looks a bit strange to me, the way it bends looks like it should be fastened with something to the gun around the middle.
  • RitualSynergY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Wh...what!? Man that looks wicked!
    Also, what is this rendered in?
  • WolfGrizzly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WolfGrizzly polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the kind words guys! The render is done in KeyShot using some of the material presets that I tweaked slightly with several tiling maps in the bump and roughness to get some subtle material definition. 

As for the corrugated metal hose, I do agree with you that it could be fastened or connected to the lower receiver in some way to prevent the thing from getting caught on something or moving too much.

I'll definitely try out some other configurations there and see if I can make something work before I move on to the low poly. I'm thinking of either making a separate piece that attaches to the lower receiver that holds the hose close to it, or perhaps a slight redesign to the lower receiver itself.

I'm taking a few days to work on some environment stuff so I can come back to this with fresh eyes, so I'll take a shot at that section soon. I appreciate the feedback!