Home General Discussion

Megascans is out!

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
pmiller001 greentooth
Hooray! Hail the conquering heros!
Megascans made it to us today. And it looks really nice. The pricing is very reasonable, I'm signing up as we speak. How y'all feelin about it? 

https://megascans.se/

Replies

• pmiller001
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Do you know if this would work with Substance Painter as well ??
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Shoot, thats a good question! :open_mouth:
    I wish I knew @PyrZern
    I'll look into it. 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern said:
    Do you know if this would work with Substance Painter as well ??
    Megascans is a library of scans, which are made of normal images. So, as long as you can import tgas or pngs or whatever into Substance Painter, there is no reason it wouldn't work.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I was hoping for a bit more hard surface focused materials like rubbers/metals/woods/cloth/etc so I could grab those normals but this looks like a great start.
  • Woggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woggle null
    Will there be a Educational version?
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Not sure. I didn't see any indication of that on the website. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    We'll be adding those materials to the site as we continue processing our scan library into functional, usable materials. :)
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Ayyyyyyy. Lit. I'm subscribing as soon as I get home today. :awesome:
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Don't worry guys, I'll make sure we get as many materials up as there is demand for them!
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Do you guys plan on putting out any non natural materials like plastics and metals?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Yep!

1st Wave
    Jungle, Rainforest, Desert & Wasteland Biomes <-- You are here.

2nd Wave
    Nordic Biome, Australian Lava Ecosystem, 3D Trees & Foliage <-- Next up

3rd Wave
    Fabric, Brick, Tile & Wood Surface Scans

4th Wave
    Metal, Plastic & Rubber Surface Scans

:)
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    For the wood scans my one request. 

If you all are able to go to a lumber yard or something, it would be great to get a variety of popular  bare wood types scanned. Having that fine grain detail in 4k as well as any imperfections would be super valuable for a ton of weapon artists. 
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome, looking forward to that 4th wave!  =)
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Is it possible to upgrade to freelancer later on and be able to use the assets for a commercial project?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very cool ! Can't wait to see more.

One thing I noticed by looking at the videos and browsing the website: it would be great to show more practical, technical information about the content. Wireframes, UVs, clear texture breakdowns, and so on. At the moment there is a bit of an "automagical" flair to the presentation, and while it has some merits to catch people's attention ... I find that it is getting in the way of the content itself. For instance, early in the UE video some foliage is laid down and it appears to come complete with a movement system, swaying in the wind. Is that part of the Megascans offering ?  Was that a FBX with baked-in animation, or is the model linked to an environment Blueprint controlling foliage movement ? For foliage, is the Megascan service providing 3D models, or merely texture maps to then apply on 3d cards ? And so on.

In short : since you are offering high quality 3d content ... it would be great to see it presented just like regular 3d content, not unlike the way the Ten24 team markets their 3D scan store. The website itself could also benefit from being a little bit more simple, with less big buttons and parallax effects and more straightforward access to the library. This is partly a matter of taste, and partly a wish for something more practical and straight to the point.

And it goes without saying : congrats on the release !
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Thanks for the feedback, Pior! I certainly see where you're coming from here; I'll pass it along to the team. :)
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
  • Flight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight polycounter lvl 10
    Damn some sweet stuff righ here, just when I'm about to dig in to substance. Checking it out as soon as I can. I echo the stuff Pior said about the foilage. 
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    So, I have been trying out free stuff from Megascans.
    Overall, they are high quality assets, although with some annoying problems.

So, what are the problems (for me at least)?
    - First thing which I tested out were two free textures Soil Clay and Soil Mud, textures themselves were pretty good, BUT when I was displacing (tessellating) them using the Displacement Map, there were small but visible seams on the edges of the 2x2m plane while being displaced, which means that the Displacement Map is not seamless, but when I do tile it, it shows no appearent seams, or they are really really unnoticable on the texture.
    If anyone has made it work good, correct me. BTW, I was using Blender and it's Displace Modifier.

- Second thing, when I downloaded two objects which were free, Rock Sandstone and Wood Log, they were HUGE, probably some 50 meters instead a little bit over a meter in length. I needed ti scale them down manually (not that it was hard, but I expect them to be ABSOLUTELY game-ready, and that includes proper scaling). I tested out FBX and OBJ formats. Again, if I did something wrong and/or it works for you correct me.

Everything else is pretty damn good. 

Cheers!
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Imported assets (not megascans stuff from you guys) do not seem to show up on anyone else's  bridge on the network, is this by design? 
    Loving the power bridge gives apart from that tho, its super tasty. 

This is probably user error, but it also throws up a "too many threads" error when importing assets from the network.