Home General Discussion

Getting a Job overseas without a Degree, Can it be done?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
I was just curious if any of our fellow polycounters have done the tedious task of getting a job overseas without a degree as its the main grip I have been dealing with lately. I would really like to know what everyone's thoughts are on the matter and how it would be achieveable. 

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Probably want to mention where you are and where you're trying to go since those are pretty relevant factors
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably want to mention where you are and where you're trying to go since those are pretty relevant factors
    Sorry, based in Australia at the moment, I have some professional freelance expierence, I have had 2 potential jobs overseas in Canda but they haven't been willing to look at me because I am foreign worker. I can get a visa if I had a job offer, but they would only be able to offer a job if I had the visa already.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    It is ... harder. Basically the company needs to make an argument that they would not be able to find the skillset that you offer locally in order to bring you in.
    Generally it's done for more senior positions, where the experience they bring to the table balance out the lack of degree. 
    Relocation is expensive for a company, so generally it is only done for people with that highly desired skillset.

However, contracting/freelancing for companies is a lot easier overseas. 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Best I could suggest is taking a look at this thread, it's a couple years old and it takes a bit of a tangent but your question is discussed there, can't say it's super promising though..

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best I could suggest is taking a look at this thread, it's a couple years old and it takes a bit of a tangent but your question is discussed there, can't say it's super promising though..

thanks I have had a read, found another studio to apply to, but I have been going through quite a few now, I am learning Vray to get some more expierence with that render engine but I don't know where I am going to wrong to be honest, I am also working on some other textured props atm and considering to do an environment.

I have also been trying outsourcing companies and haven't had much luck getting through the door. If you guys know anything else I can definitely try to bump up my professional expierence would be appreciated.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Make more art. Improve your skill and content. That's what it comes down to. It's hard enough to get a junior job with 500 students and other juniors applying, who are not international. So unless you stick out from the crowd, there is a very slim chance to none, for a company to be willing to put money down on you (it is also a timely process). Connections are great, but if you don't have the art and experience, it won't matter much. 

Vray isn't that essential in our field. Unless you are planning on going the CGI route. There are so many options for rendering HP and LP at the moment, how you render is not much of a bonus. As long as the art turns out good. For game art: Learn engines like UE4, Unity, or Cryengine(?). Even Marmoset is great for smaller pieces.  

Remember: if you throw your line in the lake (Australia), but no fish(Studios) are biting, it will be very doubtful a fish(Studio) in the ocean(Internationally) will bite. Time to rethink your bait (Your art). Eventually you will land something and you will have the experience to take on the work when you do. It sucks waiting, but this is a skill acquired overtime with practice, no running around it.

I kind of jumped all over the place and answered some stuff you didn't ask, but this is what it boils down too IMO.  
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make more art. Improve your skill and content. That's what it comes down to. It's hard enough to get a junior job with 500 students and other juniors applying, who are not international. So unless you stick out from the crowd, there is a very slim chance to none, for a company to be willing to put money down on you (it is also a timely process). Connections are great, but if you don't have the art and experience, it won't matter much. 

Vray isn't that essential in our field. Unless you are planning on going the CGI route. There are so many options for rendering HP and LP at the moment, how you render is not much of a bonus. As long as the art turns out good. For game art: Learn engines like UE4, Unity, or Cryengine(?). Even Marmoset is great for smaller pieces.  

Remember: if you throw your line in the lake (Australia), but no fish(Studios) are biting, it will be very doubtful a fish(Studio) in the ocean(Internationally) will bite. Time to rethink your bait (Your art). Eventually you will land something and you will have the experience to take on the work when you do. It sucks waiting, but this is a skill acquired overtime with practice, no running around it.

I kind of jumped all over the place and answered some stuff you didn't ask, but this is what it boils down too IMO.  
    but the thing that gets me is I've had more potential bites overseas than I have in my own Country, I'm not talking about small fish either, I am talking fairly close to tripple A grade companies.

I am not picky I am happy to work for anyone that wants to give me work as long as its with 3D architecial companies, film, games, advertising, what ever type of work needed to be done using 3D.
    I just think its really frustrating as I feel like I'm making a lot of progress skillwise but yet nothing has come of it.

• Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey,

I am not sure how old you are but if you are still under 30 (depending on country) you should be eligible for working holiday visa's. These do not require a degree and they can help get your foot in the door to possibly changing visa. 

For example I am also an Australian without a degree, and I moved to Tokyo on a working holiday visa and after about 18 months I was able to change to a Working Visa with my companies help. I am not sure how Canada handles that sort of thing but I know for a fact Japan is very picky.
    Hope it helps.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I only have a 2 year vocational school degree and usually it don't do much when it comes to visa issues, but I was able to get a working/engineer visa in Japan when I was quite fresh, no working holiday visas for swedes.

Japan can go on emotions more then rules sometimes, so a lot depends on the company, they will write a letter explaining why they need you, which seems to be able to bend the rules sometimes, I think rules are set more in stone in most countries.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    In China it can be skipped if your company is a "high tech" company. I'm pretty sure companies like EA, Ubi, Crytek, Oriental Dreamworks are - they benefit of relaxed visa rules for bringing in talent without degrees. It's just more bureaucracy for them though.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
      @Jonas Ronnegard
    I get where you guys are coming from and will definitely have a look into it, I know that Montreal for sure has a working holiday visa and I will also have a look into the states. I know the states can be a real pain and  @Benvox2 age is not issue at the moment  as I'm only 18 going on 19 in a week!

I will be flying out to LA and Montreal on a holiday a little later this year to network and get to know the community over there, I will also be attending the zbrush summit. I have a fairly decent paying job so I can afford to travel at the moment and still have enough saved for anything else I need to plan for.

I will make some notes when I am out there and plan accordingly, but I really appreciate you're input as its given me an idea on how I should approach getting overseas.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm said:
    In China it can be skipped if your company is a "high tech" company. I'm pretty sure companies like EA, Ubi, Crytek, Oriental Dreamworks are - they benefit of relaxed visa rules for bringing in talent without degrees. It's just more bureaucracy for them though.
    when you mean it can be skipped are you talking about working over in china or Chinese worker coming over internationally to work in a another branch of their company?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    sziada said:
    when you mean it can be skipped are you talking about working over in china or Chinese worker coming over internationally to work in a another branch of their company?
    working over in China.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know that publications like vertex have helped artist previously gain this type of visa.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    sziada said:
     I would really like to know what everyone's thoughts are on the matter...
    Every travel aversed remote worker needs their Orange County connection.