Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Maxivz's free smart and context sensitive scripts for modeling

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator

I decided to make a thread for all my scripts. The point of these scripts is to make smart, context sensitive tools, that perform a number of actions with the press of a single button, depending on your selection.
I will update this thread as I go.

Super Smart Symmetry:

Detects in which axis and direction it should make the symmetry based on an edge loop selection:

Multiple symmetry if the selection includes multiple axis:

If you have a group of faces selected, it will delete the other faces and mirror the selection.

If you select models mirrored with this script it will merge them and weld the edges

Smart Edge Loop:

If you make a loop step selection of at least 3 edges it will extend it. Otherwise it will perform the standard edge loop operation

Also works with multiple loop selections at the same time:

Smart Edge Ring:

If you make a ring step selection of at least 3 edges it will extend it. Otherwise it will perform the standard edge ring operation.

Also works with multiple ring selections at the same time:

Note: Please, keep it private for now until I do a public release of the tool), developed in Maya 2016.5 (2016 Ext 2). It should work for older versions, but compatibility is not assured.

I will update this thread as I add new tools and update the existing ones.

Installation:

1. Go to Windows->Settings/Preferences->Hotkey Editor
  2. In the Hotkey Editor select the Runtime Command Editor and click on the New Button
  3. Name the script accordingly, select Python in the language check and paste the code
  4. Press Save Runtime Command
  5. Assign the Command to a hotkey

Get them here: https://gumroad.com/l/pRLYT

If you liked this scripts you might want to check out my other thread as well: http://polycount.com/discussion/170424/pedros-super-smart-create-for-maya

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    I'm officially your #1 fan now Max, can't wait to see more.
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks! It's looking good

• maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Hey guys, here's an update, a closed beta is going on atm and I'm in the process of rewriting some parts of the script to allow more flexibility and better auto symmetry recognition with a lot of bug fixing lol,  here's some more features!

If you have a group of faces selected, it will delete the other faces and mirror the selection.

Here's another gif showing the Multiple symmetry system, based on selection:

• maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Made two quick more for the pack
    Smart Edge Loop:

If you make a loop step selection of at least 3 edges it will extend it. Otherwise it will perform the standard edge loop operation

Also works with multiple loop selections at the same time:

Smart Edge Ring:

If you make a ring step selection of at least 3 edges it will extend it. Otherwise it will perform the standard edge ring operation.

Also works with multiple ring selections at the same time:

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been testing these out and they work wonders!  If you have maya and want to speed up your workflow, these are a great start!

Good job Max.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Just released this on Gumroad! Please find the download link, and information on the tools in the main post and report any bug you find so I can fix it. Hope you guys find them useful! I will be back with more tools soon
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    maya modeling will be fun again!
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    Max, the tools are great )) I planned to make my own step loop / ring script, but now I'll use your one. The only little suggestion - can you add any way to grow edgeloop or edgering with certain increment, like in Modo. Growing is VERY handy modeling feature. Also I love the way it works in polyboost (Graphite tools in Max) - where you can not only select the whole loop / ring, but also choose a direction of incrementing - like pickwalking in Maya but with the respect to your selection.
    Also, I appreciate that you decided to make a clean python scripts. Many guys here create mel-scripts. It's ok actually, but python code is much easier to read and understand.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    @skodone Thanks! Glad your enjoying them!
    @pasha_sevez : I'm very happy your finding the tools useful! Are you talking about something like this? I could try to implement something like that.
    I choose python as it was just more natural to me, I would advice against learning from my code as the way I'm doing things might not be the best way to approach a problem since I'm still learning both Maya and python.

• pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    maxivz said:
    @skodone Thanks! Glad your enjoying them!
    @pasha_sevez : I'm very happy your finding the tools useful! Are you talking about something like this? I could try to implement something like that.
    I choose python as it was just more natural to me, I would advice against learning from my code as the way I'm doing things might not be the best way to approach a problem since I'm still learning both Maya and python.

Yes, man, exactly. Expand selection into one side or another or both with respect to step and loop or ring mode. That would be fantastic =:smile:
    As for your Python - it's ok )) i'm migrating from XSI to Maya, so I have to write a lot of custom staff. So, any help use useful
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Subscribed to the thread, looks like this will be very useful!
  • Sebastian_Duran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebastian_Duran polycounter lvl 3
    dammm, great job max this script will make life in maya so much faster. btw can i get the link to your gumroad? btw would this script work for maya 2015?
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Ohh, now I'm super sad I had to switch to Max for work...Thanks for the contribution dude, you rock!! 
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    As someone who is learning Maya and is coming from 10 yrs of max....I thank you for this symmetry script.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    xChris said:
    Subscribed to the thread, looks like this will be very useful!
    Thanks Chris! I hope you enjoy them!
    dammm, great job max this script will make life in maya so much faster. btw can i get the link to your gumroad? btw would this script work for maya 2015?
    I am not sure it works in maya 2015 as I developed them in maya 2016.5, but maybe they do. I would like to know if they actualyl work in 2015 as well, so please tell me if it works for you!. The gumroad link is on the first post.
    Justo said:
    Ohh, now I'm super sad I had to switch to Max for work...Thanks for the contribution dude, you rock!! 
    Thanks Justo! I want to make switching from max to maya, and basically working in Maya a more enjoyable experience  for everybody if possible :)
    Kbrom12 said:
    As someone who is learning Maya and is coming from 10 yrs of max....I thank you for this symmetry script.
    Thanks Kbrom12, I'm basiclly coming from max after around 6 years or smth like that. The symmetry script still has bugs, but its functional most of the times. I should update the script soon with some bug fixes.
    I'm very happy with the positive feedback and seeing how much this scripts seem to be helping people. Thanks for giving my scripts a try  and commenting on this thread! Please feel free to report any bugs you encounter and post any suggestion you have so we can make an easier modeling experience for everybody, expect more tools soon!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I've been using these scripts @ work and home since Maxivz posted them. Really really awesome stuff. For anyone using Maya I cannot recommend these enough!
  • limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limeforce polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good, will try out soon!

Btw: a simple version of Smart Edge Loop/Ring exists in Autodesks own Maya Bonus Tools (Select N-th Edge in Loop/Ring), yours seems better though.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    @beefaroni Thanks man!
    @limeforce Thanks! I have never used the bonus tools, but hopefully this one will work as well, I will update it soon to work with face selections as well.

I have been quite busy lately, and so I wasn't able to update/work as much as I wanted on both my workplane and script packs. But I have been working on some new scripts to make your life easier inside of maya. Hopefully in the next two weeks I will release an update.  Thanks again for the support and the comment. And keep bringing the ideas and critics so we can all have a better maya experience :)
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Hey Guys, after quite some time here are some new scripts, they are not huge but they can help you work faster.

Smart Extrude:

If you have an edge selected it will perform an extrude and switch to the previous tool:

If you have a face selection it will duplicate the selection to the same object and switch to the previous tool, if you hold the button for a second and release it will duplicate the selection to a new object:

If you select and object and press the hotkey it will duplicate the object and switch to previous tool, if you hold the hotkey for a second it will create instances instead

Quick Align Objects:

Aligns all the selected objects to the position of the last selected object.

Subdivide By Smoothing Groups:

Same behaviour as turbosmooth by smoothing groups in max, still has some bugs.

As always, you can find the new scripts in the gumroad link here: 
    https://gumroad.com/l/pRLYT

Expect more scripts soon!

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Installing these first thing tomorrow!

Suggestion, update your original post with a simplified link to all the new scripts you post here.
  • Ballo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    This is supercool, thanks Maxi, muchas gracias.
  • bsichterman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bsichterman polycounter lvl 6
    Thnx man, super usefull! 
    Maybe its an idea to add a freeze transform at the end of the symmetry/mirror script. Had my own sort of similar script and ran into the situation a couple of times where I used it on my highpoly and the normals were reversed on export because it was -1. Just a suggestion, cheers!
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Max, the tools are great )) I planned to make my own step loop / ring script, but now I'll use your one. The only little suggestion - can you add any way to grow edgeloop or edgering with certain increment, like in Modo. Growing is VERY handy modeling feature. Also I love the way it works in polyboost (Graphite tools in Max) - where you can not only select the whole loop / ring, but also choose a direction of incrementing - like pickwalking in Maya but with the respect to your selection.
    Also, I appreciate that you decided to make a clean python scripts. Many guys here create mel-scripts. It's ok actually, but python code is much easier to read and understand.
    I can't believe this isn't natively supported in Maya, not to mention the lack of results when I tried searching for a script that did this loop/ring grow/shrink function. I don't really care for the direction of incrementing, but man it'd be nice to have a grow/shrink ability for loops and rings. 
  • nj0r0g3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nj0r0g3 polycounter lvl 6
    anyone got the smart extrude, subdivide by smoothing groups and quick align objects script. Really want to get these awesome tools.