Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio showcase #2

vertex
Offline / Send Message
kasigawa vertex
Hey everybody! I made a portfolio a long time ago and you guys helped me make a new and better one. Although I don't plan to make any changes on my latest portfolio, I want to know what you think of it. 
Check it out here: http://ivan-kazuya.wix.com/home

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You posted a thread recently and I got reminded that I had this open in a tab to reply to, but completely forgot.
    So. Bumping this, I guess.

- Browsing your work is difficult with this site. I don't really know at a glance if these are your only 3 pieces, or if you have breakdown shots. Your texture work is not immediately visible, but what you do have is unfortunately pretty poor.
    - You should also name your images; "screenshot 000" doesn't let me point to the gun and give my thoughts on it.
    - There's a lack of things I can point to and immediately recognize. Combined with the lack of names, I'm sort of stuck wondering what half of these things are; not a good look. Do more work from real life references. Make sure you pay attention to materials and the smaller details.
    - Use JPG for smaller file sizes, combined with the layout issues the slow loading is making this a pain to navigate.

Sorry to be so harsh upfront, but I got the impression from your other thread that you needed to know. Your (seemingly) more recent pieces seem to show that you're pretty good at modelling, you just need to use that ability to make more impressive/functional pieces. You don't need to show everything, by the by; only your best work. The Gun, "352878_8cd2c890eb6e4431b8fc920d311f788f" and the Military Crate really bring this folio down. The Arm with the screen on it and the pipes are pretty nice, though. I'd suggest maybe try making a small scene, or at least some matching props that use reference more heavily. Look at employed Env Artist's portfolios.

I hope this isn't too heavy handed. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work, and as I said, this is less to do with your skill and more your portfolio site itself and the choice of content you show.  Trim it; quality over quantity and all that jazz.

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Here's a couple of things that struck me quick:
    1. Quality over quantity
    2. Summary is spelled incorrectly
    3. I wouldn't recommend even having a summary section to begin with. The way you wrote it is pretty long winded and confusing. Try to have your portfolio as  a "very streamlined art viewer"
    4. Display your props all in one page or gallery. I didn't realize you had more work than the two on the homepage until I read Bagelhero's post. Then I realized there's arrows on the sides to slide through images.
    Hope this helps out! :)
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    I agree with what others have posted above.

like @Kanni3d said - quality over quantity any day.  Can't stress this enough.  Some of the best modelers I have worked with normally have 2-3 models on their site.  

I would really re-think how you're displaying your work.  A gird of smaller thumbnails would prob work better, that way you can see all of your work in one go, then the user can pick what they want to see in more detail.

Your texture work needs some love, Its really making your models look weaker 
  • kasigawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kasigawa vertex
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I found them very insightful, I will make the changes and hope more people will be willing to comment as I update the portfolio.