Home Technical Talk

[Blender] 2.76 - How to view textures in 3d viewport (SOLVED)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
hypronost polycounter lvl 6
I love blender... but I have absolutely no clue why they made it so incredibly complicated to view textures in the 3d viewport without doing a render.

I've done it a few times, but every single time I get confused by it.
All the vids and tuts out there on this topic are using older versions of blender.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Replies

• Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Yes it's quite confusing : 

First it depends in which render engine you are (top bar) : In that case, choose Blender Render or Blender Render.
    Then in the View Panel/shading you have two option : Multitexture or GLSL, 

- Multitexture is use to show texture with only a simple diffuse shading, if you don't have any lamp, it'll be unlit. The texture shown is the Texture that is linked to the UV of the object in your 2D/Uv editor.

-GLSL is a full real time renderer that use the material system of Blender (simple or nodal) So to use it, you have to set-up your material. The main perks of this renderer is to create complexe material/shader settings. The texture shown are the ones in the material texture stack.

Now if you switch to Testure Paint, you have to manually set in the Tool panel which texture you want to paint.

Hope it helps you :)
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    Use shading mode..?
  • hypronost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hypronost polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks Yadoob.
    I've figured it out again using cycles render by opening an old blender file where I had the setup.
    I'm currently using it with cycles cause this gives me a clean ambient light.

The thing that throws me off is the alt+z situation.
    I wish this stuff would be more straightforward. Still love blender though. <span>:smile:</span>
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    In Blender Render you can get OK soft lighting in Material shading mode with a Hemi lamp that has specularity turned off.