Home General Discussion

Need help with Dishwasher/Cook Resume + other job questions.

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
This is now my last week of school. However, I want to continue making my portfolio for the next month or two.

I'm now looking for a part time/full time job to help support me while I make a new environment art portfolio.

Before I print off 20 - 50 resumes and drop them off all across my city, I hoped to get feedback on them first.

vd1jgae.png

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Also, some questions I have about my resume:

1. Under education, I left off the schools I went to for art. Is this a good idea?

2. Like the above, I'm worried about telling employers about my 3D art ambition. I still don't know how to answer stuff like

"why do you want this job?"
    "Where do you see yourself in the future?"
    "what do you do in your free time?"

3. I'm thinking of adding a cover letter but I don't know how to format it. I'm still trying to avoid letting employers know I'm doing 3D art and that I might not be worth their time.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    JordanN wrote: »
    This is now my last week of school. However, I want to continue making my portfolio for the next month or two.

I'm now looking for a part time/full time job to help support me while I make a new environment art portfolio.

Before I print off 20 - 50 resumes and drop them off all across my city, I hoped to get feedback on them first.

vd1jgae.png

You are missing your objective, that goes at the top right before your profile, everything else, if it not technical falls under Highlights then experience then education.

Objective:

To work as a "your desired odd job position," in an organization where my skills and capabilities will be challenged to enhance the esteem and prestige of the organization, while accomplishing the goals and objectives.

Highlights:
    Everything that is not machine related skills goes here including your personal skills.

Techincal skills:

Any or every machine related skills goes here.

Experience:

Any experience that is relevant to your desired job goes here.

Education:

Any degree, diploma and certification goes here.

Reference:

Available upon request.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your questions essentially boil down to "How do I effectively lie, or omit the complete truth from my resume and cover letter?" Short answer: you don't. If your having aspirations beyond making sandwiches and washing dishes comes as a surprise to them, then they're delusional. Nobody wants to do that forever. Be honest on your resume, but feel free to highlite things that make sense for the job you're applying for. There are a metric ass ton of articles on how to write resumes online.

Not sure if you have been a recruiter or have hired someone before but here is a bitter fact; Every body lies. The reason being, they dont really care what you put on your cv, but being honest wont get their attention, writing white lies might. This will at least allow them to bring you in for an interview and then you can show them what you've got. I havent seen a single person that I came across never lied on his cv.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I updated it.

You didn't mention volunteering, so I wasn't sure if you wanted me to remove it or merge it under experience.

55D4Yz7.png
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Not sure if you have been a recruiter or have hired someone before but here is a bitter fact; Every body lies. The reason being, they dont really care what you put on your cv, but being honest wont get their attention, writing white lies might. This will at least allow them to bring you in for an interview and then you can show them what you've got. I havent seen a single person that I came across never lied on his cv.

wow, thats sad
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    This is a resume for a menial task job. A job to pay the bills while you seek your actual career. These usually don't require any sort of resume and are just your basic employment form you fill out and a 20 second interview.

The interview usually goes as follows.....

Them: "Are you breathing?"
    Me: "Yes"
    Them: "Do you have a rough temperature of 98.6?"
    Me: "Yes"
    Them: "You are hired."

Cooking is like art. Your resume doesn't mean a hill of beans if you can't put tasty food on the plate.

Dish washing, well, if you screw that up then you seriously need to rethink your life choices.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Applying for fast food work has become a very serious deal. It's highly competitive and managers even outright refuse to take resumes if they feel like it.

It's why I've come to Polycount and want to make my resume look the best it can. Because there has to be something going on if my experience applying is a long one.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Yup, here in the UK I had to give a covering letter, CV, and do 2 interviews (including a test) to get a menial minimum wage job picking items for online shopping in a supermarket. And then I had to do 2 full days training.
  • mentalfrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Each resume should be specifically tailored to the job you're applying for. If you're making 20-50 copies then you're doing it wrong.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    mentalfrog wrote: »
    Each resume should be specifically tailored to the job you're applying for. If you're making 20-50 copies then you're doing it wrong.

I don't know how to do that.

I'm going to need links to know what are the differences in dishwashing responsibilities at every fast food restaurant.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Well I don't know how to do that.

I'm going to need links to know what are the differences in dishwashing responsibilities at every fast food restaurant.

You should probably consider going to recruitment agency first. For example, just hand out your cv to four or five recruitment agency.

Don't listen to people who say it is really easy to get a job.

Most jobs are posted online through recruitment agency in the UK. I'm assuming it would be similar in the US.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    As a former dishwasher (Rogers Arena Vancouver, circa mid-1990s), what I can say is both editions of your resume looks alright.

It's a good plan. Work part-time while you reserve time for your long-term goals.

I think when you apply for a kitchen job it's most likely a manager or owner who you'll need to impress more than a dedicated human resources person (for which, resumes and diplomas matter more). In other words, you have to impress them in person via interview or when you hand in your application. More than your academic or community credentials they'll be more impressed if you're capable of physical work, availability to work shifts, can tolerate low wage, not on drugs, and won't cause issues with other workers.

Other tip, from my arena dishwashing period (about 3 months :) ) try to get work at a big or busy restaurant so you have good chances to take home free cooked (and untouched!) food. I was eating steaks and smoked salmon for months while just earning minimum!
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Why dishwasher? I see you're in Brampton, there's a lot of warehouse jobs out there, more then here in Toronto that's for sure. As a aspiring artist/warehouse mule myself, your best bet is to grab a quick warehouse job. (Go on craigslist or kijiji and find an employment agency, they are not as bad as people make them out to be. They will find you work fast.)

1. Time flies on the shift doing manual labour, you'll be home doing 3d before you know it
    2. Day is hassle free, don't need to interact with moody customers
    3. You'll find a job very fast, and most don't even need experience. Just need two hands and two eyes usually.
    4. It opens up your eyes as to why you should really pursue a real career and not be stuck working minimum wage jobs.

I see you around here a lot, keep up the good work and keep pursuing 3D! I'm in the same boat as you.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    mentalfrog wrote: »

Doing a bunch of custom cover letters that are based off the same template, sure. Having a few versions of a resume depending on the exact position and type of studio, sure. But we're talking about spending 10 minutes tweaking a few lines.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Why dishwasher? I see you're in Brampton, there's a lot of warehouse jobs out there, more then here in Toronto that's for sure. As a aspiring artist/warehouse mule myself, your best bet is to grab a quick warehouse job. (Go on craigslist or kijiji and find an employment agency, they are not as bad as people make them out to be. They will find you work fast.)

1. Time flies on the shift doing manual labour, you'll be home doing 3d before you know it
    2. Day is hassle free, don't need to interact with moody customers
    3. You'll find a job very fast, and most don't even need experience. Just need two hands and two eyes usually.
    4. It opens up your eyes as to why you should really pursue a real career and not be stuck working minimum wage jobs.

I see you around here a lot, keep up the good work and keep pursuing 3D! I'm in the same boat as you.
    I found some warehouse job ads/recruiters although they still ask for a resume.

I'm actually confused as to what to write them. All the examples I find online are people with warehouse experience. :(
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I washed dishes when I was 15 part-time, often until 2 am then going back to high school the next morning. It's a terrible job. You really don't want to scrub cheese off of metal for ten hours.

Look into an apprenticeship in a Red Seal trade. Here's a list:
    http://www.red-seal.ca/trades/tr.1d.2s_l.3st@-eng.jsp

Some of the best jobs with steady work involve annual testing of things like fire alarm systems or backflow preventers. You could be making $30 per hour in a year or two if you got into fire prevention. Backflow testers typically charge $100 to $140 per test and each test takes about 20 minutes.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    wow, thats sad

Allow me to elaborate; In Canada many jobs that are relevant to the IT requires at least 3 years worth of experience. People that I have come across really make such experience that guarantees them an interview call, otherwise they wont call. Same experience that I refer to as a lie because they dont know anything about that job but they know damn well that for the first month they may get a training. I could be wrong because I have been wrong before there are many who are honest in their cv and get a job, and there are those who are honest yet they dont even get a chance for an interview, and then there are those who lie to get a job.

To the OT; Sorry for the delay on this one. Since the job that you are looking for is odd. You dont really need to state what exact position you that you are looking for.

Objective:

To work in an organization where my skills and capabilities will be challenged to enhance the esteem and prestige of the organization, while accomplishing the goals and objectives.

Fix't

In fact you can make it even shorter.

To work in an organization where my skills and capabilities may be utilized.Or make it something of your own but keep it short and to the point.

You dont have to write technical skills if it isnt relevant in your case, it isnt really unless you are going for call center.

Here is a little example of what I did for general CV.

Highlights:

• Well versed in standard computing environment, relevant experience in networking.
    • Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication skills.
    • Remarkable organizational and analytical skills including problem comprehension/resolution.
    • Highly motivated, organized, results oriented and ability to work under pressure.
    • Good presentation skills with capability of adapting to new and fast changing technologies.
    • Able to adapt quickly to the work environment and willing to learn.

TECHNICAL PROFILE:
    • Languages: C++, C#, Java, Python, HTML, XML, CSS, Java Script, PHP, ASP.NET.
    • Compilers: Visual Studio.NET, Eclipse, Python IDLE.
    • Database Tools: MySQL, MS SQL.
    • Virtual Workstations: VM ware workstation, Virtual Box.
    • Operating Systems: Windows 7 Pro 64, Ubuntu 12.04, Fedora, Centos, Debian.
    • File Transfer Protocol: Drop box, Codeplex.

I would also not recommend working as a dishwasher, there are many customer service jobs that are a bit sophisticated and pay well, also if you require time to study I would suggest a security job but you may need to get a license for that along with some set of training.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Nitewalkr That is mostly due to HR not knowing the ins and outs of things and looking for lack 3 years experience or a computer science degree as a easy way to knock people off the list.

If you can manage to talk to a Sr software engineer or something like a technical director your chances for a job go up greatly. The 2 types of interviews feel so different too. I always feel stressed out when dealing with HR departments but when i can just talk to a senior programmer or director in person, it is a much more relaxed interview where i can just talk about what i like doing and what projects both personal or pro i worked on.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I'm sorry but isn't this for a dishwasher/student job ? They couldn't care less about putting that much thing on our cv, they'll spend a big 2min watching it, just put your name, your info, your school degree (yeah in canada it's important for them to know even if it has nothing to do with the job) Your language if it's a "public" job (like being a cashier) And your past job.

Drop the profile or technical skill w/e, if they want to know they'll ask you during interview, the only thing employer of "students jobs" care in Canada is mostly if you have previous experience. If yes and if you look decent they'll take you, If no well, this is the worst moment of the year to search for a student job. All Cegep/University student are currently searching for a summer job because school is over in max 2 weeks for almost everyone. And in a month it's going to be highschool kid, so stop losing time with stuff they don't care and go send your Cv at 50places.

Summer job/minimal salary job are all about sending tones of CV and getting 2-3 interview, getting one job, and not about doing the best bullshited CV ever. They aren't stupid they know when it's over-the-top white lie. They gets tones of CV at this time of the years they almost don't even look at them. They just mass call the people who like polite/nice when they bring the CV or who have relative experience. I don't know how it is to find a job elsewhere but Canada is one of the easiest place to find that kind of job and it really doesn't required cover letter or intense CV.

tl;dr Cut the chase, Do a minimal CV: Information, school, past job. Print 50 of them and go EVERYWHERE they are searching somewhere, It's the worst time of the year to find a summer job don't be picky.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    TBH I agree with a lot of people here, when it comes to this kind of work your CV is pretty irrelevant unless you already have experience doing dish washing etc.. as a job. Even then I would still suggest the following.

Work a trial shift for free, I've done this before in pubs / restaurants and basically it shows your capable of doing the job in a low risk way for the employer, making it an easier decision to hire you. And whenever I've done it I've always got some work out of it.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I found some warehouse job ads/recruiters although they still ask for a resume.

Just look in the newspaper and theres literally a tonne of ads for warehouses and open houses for recruitment agencies. Had a warehouse job during a college summer through one place where literally they made sure I was not retarded and could do basic math. Didnt matter much about resume really, they just wanted people. Just google resume writing tips and make sure not to copy word for word.

Looking at your resume, for experience I have no idea where you were hired so put that down.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Ever so slightly tangential, but I'd recommend that you prioritize retail jobs over restaurant work, and if you go for one of those, I'd target the closing shifts.

If you're going to be spending your free time building a portfolio, you want a jobs that keeps you on your feet, and preferably moving around and consuming energy. This'll help you focus in your off-time, and keep you from getting as out of shape as you might otherwise get, especially if you set about doing your job as quickly and as well as possible.

Later shifts also generally attract a more energetic and personable audience, in my experience. So you generally end up liking your co-workers more than you would otherwise.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Looking at your resume, for experience I have no idea where you were hired so put that down.

Oh no, I already printed out the resumes.

I never worked before. The experience was from my Grade 10 cooking class. I thought I had to fill that out with something.

Should I throw out my resumes and start again?
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Then be honest, if you never work at your age in Canada (I'm guessing you must be around 20), Be really cash with employer " this is my first job"
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    .nL wrote: »
    If you're going to be spending your free time building a portfolio, you want a jobs that keeps you on your feet, and preferably moving around and consuming energy. This'll help you focus in your off-time, and keep you from getting as out of shape as you might otherwise get, especially if you set about doing your job as quickly and as well as possible.

+1, a lot of people trying to get a job doing art for games go into QA first and work on their folio at the end of their shift... spending all day sat in front of a PC screen isn't ideal for your health!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yeah i really don't get the "lie to get a job" attitude, i mean it is obvious and will be revealed, hwo does that look? or does nobody care in canada and shitting everyone is the way to go?

I as an employer would be super pissed if i found out that any info i got from my employees is a straight up lie, it would be an instafire for me
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    +1, a lot of people trying to get a job doing art for games go into QA first and work on their folio at the end of their shift... spending all day sat in front of a PC screen isn't ideal for your health!

this path only makes sense if the QA position gives you access to artists in senior postions or if you can somehow find a way to show off to the art director.

Problem is most QA teams dont work on site with the art team.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if they do, the occasional success story doesn't make it a golden path. QA is a lot of work and long hours ... we'd prefer to hire people into QA who WANT to be in QA, rather than being artists in waiting.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    yeah i really don't get the "lie to get a job" attitude, i mean it is obvious and will be revealed, hwo does that look? or does nobody care in canada and shitting everyone is the way to go?

I as an employer would be super pissed if i found out that any info i got from my employees is a straight up lie, it would be an instafire for me

Passerby actually answered that part.

I know it is a dick move on the applying part, but they may not consider you if you dont have a 3-5 year worth of experience yet have the skills to do the job. As Passerby explained the reason behind this strategy. Its because the HR depts dont know the ins and outs and it is easier for them to knock the scrubs off the list.

I can never lie because I get caught and perhaps its the main reason why I never got an interview in a long time, but I know of the people who play this game at a greater length.

I apologize if I may have offended you in anyway.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Passerby actually answered that part.

I know it is a dick move on the applying part, but they may not consider you if you dont have a 3-5 year worth of experience yet have the skills to do the job. As Passerby explained the reason behind this strategy. Its because the HR depts dont know the ins and outs and it is easier for them to knock the scrubs off the list.

I can never lie because I get caught and perhaps its the main reason why I never got an interview in a long time, but I know of the people who play this game at a greater length.

I apologize if I may have offended you in anyway.

In the case i was explaining it is more of a white lie, what counts as experience? Think of things you have done that you can count as those years. Portfolio work, maybe making content for one of the workshops or selling assets on the unity asset store. Having worked on a few professional projects i found i have often learned more and challenged myself more from personal projects. so you can count that as work experience. Later on in your career you can just count pro work as your work experience, but i would still make sure your potential employer knows you are the type of person who will learn and improve on there own as well.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    What's the consensus on using multiple recruiters? Is it advised or not advised?

I registered with one recruiter today for warehouse labor work but I had to pass on a job position (public transit doesn't operate early enough).

They say they'll contact me tomorrow with another opening, but I'm not sure if there's enough time.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use multiple recruiters if work is too slow, recruiters are in it for them selfs so why not you.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Thanks man. I went ahead and started answering other job ads figuring I'm not getting any responses anyway.

But something I fear right now though is lack of training. It seems no one wants to train new people. Hence, why even the "simple" jobs like dishwasher or general labor have high requirements and ask for a resume.

It makes getting a first job very difficult for me, because businesses are no longer accepting inexperienced people like me.

At this rate, I feel I'm going to get more work done on my portfolio and start applying to all the game studios in Toronto before I ever work a first shift at a McDonalds.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Getting a job's tricky for younger people without experience anymore. Seems like most of the fast food jobs in my town have been taken up by recent retiree's who are revisiting their youths for extra cash, and grad students with plenty of experience already.

The only way I see people getting jobs without work experience is through contacts at various firms, so I'd recommend trying that out. And, bar that, try to hunt down an 'internship' at some small business, where you can do busywork for them for a month or two to get a reference, or start volunteering at a local soup kitchen, or something.

Otherwise, you may have to wait until companies start hiring seasonally.

Also, a trick I picked up is to always introduce yourself to the manager of wherever your applying, within 24-hours of doing so. A friendly handshake and a formal introduction go a long way towards putting you on top of the list.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL wrote: »
    Also, a trick I picked up is to always introduce yourself to the manager of wherever your applying, within 24-hours of doing so. A friendly handshake and a formal introduction go a long way towards putting you on top of the list.

This, you have to make a impression with the right person. Also like half or more of the resumes that get handed to staff somewhere never make it to a manager. Since the staff have there own motives and will often just trash things if they feel they aren't getting the hours they want.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I got 2 job interviews! One is with Wendy's and the other is McDonalds.

Are these some good things I can say during an interview?

- I have safety shoes or the equivalent for fast food
    -I want to mention I can work anytime (because I have literally nothing else doing other than portfolio work)
  • sushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked at Wendy's many years ago. They like someone who can be relied upon. If you are punctual, work any shift, and don't slack then they will love you. Safety shoes don't matter, all you need is a pair of black shoes.

Just be genuine and try not to be weirdly nervous. If you get a question you don't know the answer to then politely ask to come back to it later. Try to show some confidence too.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I had the interview with Wendy's today and I think it went very well! I went in with confidence and told them how I can work any shift.

Now they want me to go in for a second interview tomorrow.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Great news, good luck with it :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, Wendy's have second interviews?? back in the days it used to be one interview and they would explain the job and ask your availability.

Grats none the less.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Guess they get a lot of applicants.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    So I just did the second interview with Wendy's and eh... it felt like a mixbag. :poly122:

When I first arrived, it felt like the interviewer wasn't aware I had an interview with them today. I even had to remind her I was told to come back a second time, making the whole thing feel like it wasn't planned or coordinated properly.

Then came seating. Yesterday, I got scheduled for an interview in the morning, so there was plenty of seats and no commotion. Today though, I was asked to come in when it was very busy, so there was a lot of noise, making it somewhat hard to hear what the interviewer was saying. There was also a family watching me on the right so I felt there was more pressure.

The actual interview was pretty standard. A lot of it was recycled questions from yesterday (i.e availability, work experience, questions about working).

When it was over, I was told I would hear back in a WEEK if they want me or not.

I dunno.... this just feels depressing. The most shocking part was when it came to asking about availability. I told the person I was literally within walking distance of the restaurant and she didn't seem phased at all. How many companies wouldn't want an employee who lives right next to their workplace to the point you can get up and walk there in minutes?

Of course, I may be speaking too early and there's still a chance but oh well.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I understand needing any employment u can get while u r working towards yer dreams in parallel. ( particularly while in college )

But have u considered another field of menial readily available employment that might welcome yer aspirations?

When I was in college I worked as night watchman at a factory by my school ( some colleges also include security position as a work study )
    Where your position is usually there just to fulfill insurance requirments...
    I found employment was easy since employers were happy to have a student that was going to paint all night instead of getting fired in their first week for sleeping on the job. They know u will b awake since homework completion is important to you education. ( a perfect fit: paid for doing your studies! )

After college I volunteered at a local TV station for the expensive ( at the time ) AVID experience. When a job turned up at the station I had the same resume worries anyone without experience has. Until my producer told me I needed to stop worrying and lie like she and everyone else does on their resume ( embellishment is an art ). I found it hard to do still. So she did my resume for me ( with her embellishment experience :) )
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Ok guys, I'm now absolutely lost.

Today I went to a McDonald's job interview and I was destroyed. When the supervisor went over my resume and saw my education, he asked me why don't I have a job in the game industry?

I was caught completely off guard. I tried to answer it by saying "I'm still working on my portfolio and I still need job experience regardless" but he wasn't convinced.

Do I have to remove my education from my resume now?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    nah, just have more confidence. If that simple question threw you for a loop he probably thought you'd have a nervous break down in the middle of the lunch-rush.

Have you tried aiming a little higher? You should be able to snag some sort of junior IT job.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    The way he said it though gave me the impression he didn't want to interview me anymore because of it. In fact, he didn't even ask me any questions about work experience or availability. He just kept pressing me on the "how did you go to school and not have a job in the game industry?" and then he just ended the interview with "give me 3 reasons why we should hire you?".

As for aiming higher, my brother did tell me his company has "computer work" I could do. I have to ask him more about it the next time I see him.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    JordanN said:
    Ok guys, I'm now absolutely lost.

Today I went to a McDonald's job interview and I was destroyed. When the supervisor went over my resume and saw my education, he asked me why don't I have a job in the game industry?

I was caught completely off guard. I tried to answer it by saying "I'm still working on my portfolio and I still need job experience regardless" but he wasn't convinced.

Do I have to remove my education from my resume now?
    Don't remove stuff from you resume or lie.
    If you have gaps in there the employer just gets suspicious and questions will be much more uncomfortable than what the McDonalds guy asked you.

Cannot tell anything about the resume itselfe for this kind of job.
    I started having several part-time jobs at an age of 13, at that time I never wrote a single application. I'm pretty sure if you look at smaller companies/restaurants etc. you can do without much paperwork.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    This thread is almost a year old.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    BagelHero said:
    This thread is almost a year old.
    Why you answer to such an old thread then? :wink: