Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Abacus

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys,

I saw this concept, which I think is called Acabus, and decided to start modelling it.
Think I will go for a slightly more Overwatchy rendering style, if I can get in that ballpark. For me, it seems very difficult to be so detailed, yet so subtle, so I want to attempt that.

Any comments and critique welcome :)

NEWEST:

This is my progress so far:

Concept: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XnwGa

Replies

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    The character scale in the concept art does a lot to give a sense of how massive this space is, are you planning on trying to do anything like that?

I think you've done a good job so far putting this space together so far, the only thing that seems a bit different is your doorway seems a bit fatter width-wise than the concept.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Nick!

Yes. Without them, I don't think the scale is sold well enough. So I will try to see what I can do :)

You're right! I'll get that fixed. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Also i like that the statues are very much in front right between the colums, like soldier guarding and watching you. You pushed them quite into the background. Also maybe Scale them up a bit so they are taller and wider. 
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, good catch! I will do that. Thanks, Anchang :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    First iteration on the pillar.
    @nickcomeau made me think, and I might readjust the scale to more "normal" proportions, so I can also do something inside, looking a bit more game level-y perhaps.

I also pushed the statues forward like @Anchang-Style suggested. Thanks again for that!

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    First texture iteration for everything. Light was dynamic before, and just switched it to static before this screenshot, so needs some tweaking, definitely.

Does anyone know why the textures get SO blown out in the sun?

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Tweak your auto exposure settings to adjust your brightness. Coming along nicely btw!
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    If it's been textured in Substance Painter then it's necessary to turn off sRGB in the texture editor within UE4. by default sRGB is on and it will completely bleach out your albedo. Again this only applies on any assets textured within Substance Painter and exported from SP directly into UE4.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @FreneticPonies
    Thanks, I forgot all about the exposure settings. Think I killed them, because I found them annoying switching around all the time :)

@Kid.in.the.Dark
    Thanks fort he tip, Kid. Are you sure, though? I thought sRGB always had to be on for albedo, and always off for everything else. 
    Did I misunderstand something?
  • stefan_armand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, it looks great.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Ah my mistake! discard that information!.. Think I got it mixed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpuK6FGNNLY

There's some settings that Wesk tells you to go through when importing textures from SP.

However I'm pretty sure I've seen other artists in other tutorials say you need to turn sRGB off for Albedos, I'm really unsure myself now tbh but I'll be honest and say I trust Wesk's advice more haha
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @stefan_armand
    Thanks a lot!

@Kid.in.the.Dark
    I havent heard about it, so if you trip over the info one day, please send it my way :)

I'm pretty sure I've seen other artists in other tutorials say you need to turn sRGB off for Albedos,
    A little update, mostly just for my own sake. Tons of lightmap errors, and I still need to tweak that ligh, so it doesnt make the pillars so "meh" in direct sunlight :)

• Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking nice man, love the progress so far. Adding in scale reference is most def gonna help. Also adding small details to the pillars and such could help this.

Esspecially adding details on the bits above the door like in the concept can really help, also adding some little birdies and such on the last couple of steps.

Going to be cool!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hey @Luxap
    Thanks a lot! Yeah I should get some basic char geo in there, to show scale. Although I want the scale to be a bit different than the one on the concept.

I agree, the door would really help. My trim sheet seems to be blown out, perhaps I have to make a unique model for this. Thanks for pointing it out :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I couldn't seem to be able to save the door, so I decided to actually sculpt it, instead of just making it of tilables and trims.

• Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Great progress, looking really impressive and huge.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Looking awesome so far, man! Excited to see how this one will turn out. If I had to nitpick, I'd say I'm still having a hard time gauging the scale of the scene. The stairs look far, far bigger than they do in the concept art. I think once you get some small, high-frequency details in your scene it will help out a lot, but for now, if feels much smaller and less of an epic size than the original concept.

Keep it up though, it's looking great!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you, both of you :)
    @Will Faucher
    I'm very happy you are nit picking :) And you are absolutely right! I wrote a bit further up, that I am trying to 
    'scale down' my scene a bit, so I actually tripled the size of the stair steps, to make the level smaller. 
    I'm trying to go for something a bit more like a game level. And you are right, no matter what size I go for, it is not established, and I will try to get some size reference in there as soon as I figure out how to do it. 
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to feedback!

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I'm going to leave it here. It's not 'done', but I want to do the inside instead :)

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Did a little update. Thanks for the feedback! :)