Home General Discussion

Getting Past Tutorials

Talix
null
Offline / Send Message
Talix null
Hey all,

I've been working my way through a fair share of Modelling and Animation tutorials on Digital Tutors and wanted advice on when the best time to step away from tutorials is and to start doing personal work just from reference photos/video? 

I feel like im not adequate enough yet to do this and wanted to here other peoples thoughts on how they approached this during the early stages of their cg work.

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    My thoughts on it are, you have your own ideas, right? Just start. Start now. Start working on your own ideas. Only watch tutorials when you come to a part of your piece that you arent sure how to do it. You need to do. You need to fail to really learn. So just start. 

If you`re modelling something, just start modelling. Use photo reference. That will never stop in your career. So dont think it's cheating. But if you come to a certain shape you cant figure out how to model, like holes in things, then look up a tutorial. But try it first. 

If you`re animating, find or make video reference of what you`re trying to animate and just animate. If you run into a problem like you cant figure out why your hands are always sliding around when using a sword, then look for tutorials on that specific part of it. But again, try it first. 

Dont rely on tutorials. Use them in a time of need. 
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    The point of tutorials is teach you what you don't know. So if you do know how to model an object, a tutorial isn't going to be of that much help anymore no?

Since you haven't reached the level yet to model independently, don't worry about using a tutorial. You should just focus on making as many models as possible to develop an understanding of it.

Where you should absolutely cutoff from tutorials is your portfolio. Do not stick a model in their own you have not made yourself. You cannot present those.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I wouldn't look at it as a linear process of tutorials -> personal projects -> portfolio, but rather bounce back and forth. If you do a modeling tutorial, follow that up with your own model. Just keep the scope and complexity at a similar level. When you feel OK with the tools, then just jump in, problem solve, research solutions, etc... (what @slipsius said).
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    "I feel like im not adequate enough yet"

Just start! You might surprise yourself. I'm not sure what you're worried about? You're probably not going to produce AAA content any time soon but you have to start somewhere.

Personally, what got me started was actually having a reason to create models, rather than just creating 3d art for the sake of practice. I.e. Making levels for games or skins. 
  • Talix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talix null
    Thanks for the advice guys. After reading, I think ill just start making personal projects and use some tutorials in between and when i come across roadblocks. 

I think with digital tutors i just got swamped by the vast amount of tutorials and felt i needed to go through a large portion of them before i could make anything decent

I definitley need to get past worrying about failing a personal project since its all a learning process.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Look around online, pick a concept art that you like, that use the same or similar technique you learn from the tutorials. 

Also, when you watch tutorials, what you should learn are the techniques; like hardsurface, how to create trims and bevels, hairs or furs, muscle, clothing details, crack and surface materials, or stuff. Not 'how to model a AK-47' or 'how to model a Porsche'.