Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4]Cyberpunk Alley

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Mime polycounter lvl 14
Hi,
For the last few weeks , i've been working on a new project, based on the concept of a coworker.
I still need to work on the lighting, the concrete materials , decals. After that is done i'll add a vehicle of sorts.
Here's what i have so far.
Any feedback, criticism or question is welcome.
Latest:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And some progress images.

Below is the concept i am working from.
http://vladracean.wix.com/vladricean

Replies

• Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    I haven't used Unreal much before this project. Getting decals to work properly was WAY more difficult than i had anticipated.
    A bit of progress. 
    As always feedback appreciated.

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    It's looking good so far. To me the front shouldn't be made of bricks though.
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    @LanceUppercut Thanks. I've tried the front out of metal and concrete and it doesn't look good to me. Might try a different type of metal, maybe that would work.
    Some more progress on the lighting, i took it in a different direction. Added some extra decals as well. Is this better or worse ?
    Also , i get a lot of black reflections because of the dark environment , could i override the skylight reflection ? What other solution should i try ?

• ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Can't comment much on your reflection issue but I think if you just tweak the scene a little bit so your renders are more grounded you'll sell this scene a lot better. With the camera viewing areas that don't have anything in them it's drawing me out of the scene, I'm focusing on the negative black space rather than the scene itself. I don't have much to crit in terms of environment because it's quite solid IMO, so I'll just look at your presentation

It's just a quick crop because I don't have access to your camera, but something similar to this would be nice.

Eyes are instantly starting to rest on areas now and it's easier for you to tell a miniature story and let people run with an idea. Then again I could be preaching to the choir if you've already done this. If I'm going to really nitpick anything; that oil spill on the wall to the left looks kind of out of place.
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    Looking cool, love it ! Reminds me of Fallout :)

The oil on the left is indeed a bit too strong :)
    Overall, I think it's too clean. I'd had a bit of dirt/mud as well as some dirty footsteps and papers and destroyed cans and cigarettes and all kind of junk all around the ground !

I agree with ZombieDawgs on the presentation, this piece is great and deserves a more thorough presentation :) I think the camera angle is too wide at the moment.

Keep it up !
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    @Cremuss , @ZombieDawgs  : Thanks for the feedback guys !

I'll do a couple of junk meshes and decals.
    In the meantime, i widened the scene and tweaked the lights some more. Added a bit of graffiti as well.
    Now i need to study the unreal particle systems as well , i'd like to add some steam or something similar.

• samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samifira polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man this is looking good
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Oh man, I am totally diggin' this... I'm a complete sucker for Cyberpunk art haha. Subbed (Y)

I agree about the front of the buliding being made of bricks doesn't look or feel right, the original concept has it made out of concrete or metal paneling, hard to say which one.
    I also believe the crevices that joins your building to the floor could do with some grunging up, it feels too clean and could definitely benefit your scene and make it feel more natural.

The left inner wall feels a little empty and I think could probably be broken up with a little grunge, maybe things like leak marks coming down from where the metal panels / structures connect with the bricks.

On the functionality side, those pipe beams next to the doorway don't read much to me, they look like they're there for the sake of being there and serve no purpose functionally. They connect straight to the floor and nothing else, I suggest maybe adding some additional parts that connect them to the building or maybe a gutter underneath it that connects to it that makes it look like it's some sort of drain, etc.

Maybe drop the intensity of the light furthest from the entrance so it isn't as distracting from your main focus or even just dim the area light you have on top of it a little bit... it's already somewhat comfortable to look at but just dropping a little bit in intensity will just ensure it will remain comfortable to everyone.

Also, I feel like your piece could do with more cables... It's always been a massive essence to the cyberpunk theme and I feel like without it... this just won't feel whole but this is just a personal preference so discard crit at will on this one haha.

Great work so far though, the lighting is working very well imo... it definitely gives off that jazzy / nightclub back alley feel which I'm assuming you're going for. The puddles are working very well, the graffiti is sitting in there comfortably.

Keep going. :)
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    @samifira  : Thank you!
    @Kid.in.the.Dark : Thanks for the detailed feedback. I've tried the front out of metal and concrete and just doesn't look good. I also added more grunge as you said. The pipes are there to break up the symmetry and add some rounded shapes that break up all the square shapes. Also i added some steam coming from them which adds to the general atmosphere. 

I'm about to call this done.
    I added the steam , some small props on the ground and made general improvements.
    I'll start modelling a motorcycle for the scene in the near future maybe i'll add a little bit of vegetation as well.

• Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    If anyone is interested i wrote a bit about my process for this piece. 
    https://medium.com/evozon-game-studio/3d-cyberpunk-alley-environment-7746391bbfa2#.6r2uoqum7
    Questions and suggestions welcome :smiley: 

• TomasFantastick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomasFantastick polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for sharing the workflow,

Did you build the blockout in your 3D package or in Unreal?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Not a lengthy post but that's it you fairly nailed it, niiiice.
  • Jordan Best
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordan Best polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work man I'm currently working on a Cyberpunk alley scene myself this is some great inspiration. How did you go about creating those pot holes in the concrete floor? 
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    @Jordan Best : If you mean the big puddles, i did those as decals in Unreal. The actual texture was done in Substance Designer, just a few noises mixed together .
    @peanut™ : thanks ! 

@TomasFantastick : The block-out and the modelling was done is MODO.

• Ubuska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty neat, I like graffiti on the walls.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looks pretty cool, dig this :)

Make sure to take high-res shots next time so the renders don't look so blurry!
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    @Minos : Thanks so much. I got your gumroad tutorial and used a lot i learned from your videos, in my piece.
    About the big res screenshots , i wanted to ask here, but just forgot. If i use the UE4 screenshot grabber i get so really weird artifacting.
    Like so. Any idea what causes this ?

• Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Oh yeah I've seen that. How large are you taking the screenshots? At some point they just start to break. I think I could go as high as 3 or 4 without breaking.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    looks fantastic, I'm a sucker for cyberpunk and you got the mood right. 
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
    Mime said:
    @Minos : Thanks so much. I got your gumroad tutorial and used a lot i learned from your videos, in my piece.
    About the big res screenshots , i wanted to ask here, but just forgot. If i use the UE4 screenshot grabber i get so really weird artifacting.
    Like so. Any idea what causes this ?

Theres an issue with the Highres capture option, no clue what it is but heres a workaround.
    Just type this into the console: HighResShot 3840x2160, or any other value you want, and the issue will not be present anylonger. (Make sure you press Strg+the play button, to fly around ingame and access the console)
    If you changed the FOV  you have to type youre desired FOV value ingame before you take the Console screenshot.
    In order to get your desired Fov just type: (Fov 80) or whatever value you want and press enter after. :)
    You can assign a specific key to access the console ingame ( This can be found under  Settings-Project Settings-Input- Console)
    I assigned the TAB key.
    Hope this helps :)

• Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks everyone for the help.
    I managed to get clean shots. One of the reason was that i had a sharpen postprocess on and that seemed to cause a lot of trouble.
    I also rendered a video, took  a while to wrestle Unreal's sequencer and compression for both the video and Youtube.
    I think i got a decent result. Any info on how to make a crisp youtube video is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wSO2WW0-Oc
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    Managed to get better compression.
    I learned that H.264 seems to do the best job. Also 60 fps looks much crisper than 30 fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WAtzyZ1H0g
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Damn dude, this is sick :D The only thing that breaks the overall scene for me is the huge metal cylinders in the alley, they're just too plane? Material definition is fine etc and I like the composition but I feel like they could have more going on.. maybe i'm wrong. Nice work though!
  • gerbilho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gerbilho polycounter lvl 2
    Nice one. I like it.
    In some parts of the video everything seems blurry and then suddenly it becomes sharper. 
    Good work!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great work, love the atmosphere and style of it all
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks guys! 
    Updated first post with the latest image.

@"Mathew O"  : Yeah, that makes sense. I had some normal details on them but, i "might" have overwritten that normal map and never went back to fix it :blush: 
    @gerbilho : compression is just .. ughhh .. headaches. It was the best i could do ..

I also wrote a detailed breakdown for 80.lv
    Never written an article of this scale before , i hope you'll find it interesting.
    http://80.lv/articles/cyberpunk-alley-aaa-environment-with-accessible-tools/
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I adore the colors you've used! Great write up.
  • Steve_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw this on the UE forum, looks so good!!