Home Technical Talk

Maya collada animation export

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
root polycounter lvl 18
I'm trying to get Maya to export an animation (via the FBX_DAE export plugin), but when I re-import the DAE file back into maya, none of the animation is preserved.

I also tried exporting the animation as FBX, and loading it into the autodesk FBX viewer to convert it from FBX to DAE, and got the same result.

When I load the file, there's a series of errors (one for each joint) that says something to the effect of the node's transformations not being valid in FBX and they're converted to TRS.  (That's not the error message verbatim, I didn't have the good sense to copy it down before I left work.)

The animation being exported is being driven by set driven keys, rather than directly animating the joints.

So I'm curious if there's specific settings I need to be paying attention to in the collada export, or if the joints need to be directly animated (I really hope that this is not the case, the entire animation library I've spent the last few weeks building is all via driven keys), or if there's newer and better collada exporters I should be looking for, or what.

Replies