Home Technical Talk

Cryengine 5 - full source code access, C#, humble bundle assets, royality free, pay what you want

Replies

• R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I've always had issues with Cryengine's documentation, have they improved it for CryEngine5?

<3 realmtime GI
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    I dont know, haven't really had the time to look at it. But from what crytek said it seems to be not on the level of the competition yet: 

[quote] mitz admits that there's some features that engine competitors have surpassed Crytek on, but that the team are working on delivering greater documentation and making working in CRYENGINE 'more intuitive[/quote]

but they have relatively cheap consulting it seems(for 50 or 150/month). 
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Interesting moves. I wonder how the screen space shadows look.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Did they fix their Mikktspace normal map integration yet? Last I heard it's not actually sync'd unless they fixed it.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, it's not synced to MikkTSpace or flipped-bitangent MikkTSpace but they include a Handplane-like tool called NoMaps that translates world space to Cryengine tangent space. I tested it out and the sync is just right.

Edit: I didn't test out any sort of normal map repetition like a mirrored face, just unique UVs. It's possible that you might get the "seam down the face" problem--I haven't tested it yet. But it's probably fine.
  • Macrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    Interesting.  Though, if this is all exactly as it seems, I wonder what they'll do to improve their chances of being chosen over UE4, besides a "no royalty" claim.

Last time I tried CryENGINE, there wasn't a whole lot of documentation and the engine itself wasn't very flexible for much beyond first-person games like Far Cry.

There wasn't much you can do to escape the "Crytek game" look, either, since it seemed the engine was designed just for those games and not much else.

Many developers (like me) choose UE4 is because it's as flexible as it is powerful.  It's designed to be streamlined for coders and artists alike.  Plus, its development rate is constant and regular.

What devs value today more than sheer horsepower in a game engine is ready flexibility.  An engine capable of high-end PC and low-end mobile experiences alike (not that every engine has to target every platform, but it helps to be wider).

UE4's delivers such a dynamic offering, if it delivers me exactly what I need (and, by large, it does), I'm fine with the 5% royalty thing.  (Considering these engines used to cost well over a million dollars to license commercially.  Haha!)

My unsolicited advice to Crytek would be: Benefit your business model with a balance in development priorities.  Because most will still prefer free and flexible engines (UE4, Unity 5) over one that's free but still quite inflexible--even if such may take a 5% royalty.
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    Cryengine is now up again: https://www.cryengine.com/get-cryengine

The pay what you want model is interesting. By default 50% of the choosen amount goes into the indie development fond - https://www.cryengine.com/developer-fund -which sponsors indie devs, and you can adjust it up to 70% or make it lower.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone else unable to make an account or recover a password on the cryengine site? 
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Humble Cryengine bundle is still going btw
    https://www.humblebundle.com/cryengine-bundle
    12 hours left as of now!

Going with a marketplace is a good call but late. They needed a game like Warface and use cryengine as a means of
    promotion and aquiring/learning new engine users by allowing people to map for it. They can still go for it with the upcoming coop Witchhunter game, I still think that would be a great idea. If they allowed mapping for Warface with cryengine even as late as now, they surely would get at least a lot of east european cryengine users that may transist to full devs later on.
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    Anyone else unable to make an account or recover a password on the cryengine site? 
    Yes, can't signin to my old account. Creating a new account worked fine, but I can't post on the forums and I can't write private messages or access my forum ucp (these actions redirect back to the get-cryengine page).
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Today I was able to download the launcher, after having problems logging in.
    However the launcher didn't work either.
    I am excited to try it out though, some of the new features are promising, are there any online documentation or videos on the new features?
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    Today I was able to download the launcher, after having problems logging in.
    However the launcher didn't work either.
    I am excited to try it out though, some of the new features are promising, are there any online documentation or videos on the new features?
    Could you not login through the launcher after starting it, or did you get an error message when you tried to start it? If it's the second case some users seem to had to install a newer C++ Redistributable to get it working: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Not that I know of (which doesn't mean anything ;D). The tutorial videos seems to be targeted at beginners: https://www.cryengine.com/tutorials

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't login through the launcher either. Hopefully a fix comes out soonish.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Skamander I get a error when trying to start the launcher, I had a newer version of the C++ Redistributable installed, but I'll try and uninstall it and install the one you linked to.
    Thanks for the tutorial series link :)

Edit: Didn't work for me, just have to wait then.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to download and run the engine after signing up for a totally new account.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JedTheKrampus
    Tried that now, still no cigar.
    Guess it will work it self out at some point, not in a hurry right now :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This comment fixed the launcher issue for me.

https://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=133563&sid=c63f0dd8c11d54d5e7d07f14c05298d2&start=75

"Finally got this fixed, if you still have the issue go to Users/yourusername/AppData/Local and delete the CryEngine Launcher folder, it launches fine after that "

• ken0y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ken0y polycounter lvl 7
    I really wanted to try out Cryengine for doing a piece of StarCitizen fan art but man...I'm really having second thoughts. I've never looked at Cryengine before and just found out that it doesn't even fully support FBX. Really? Isn't the whole staticmesh thing not a tad oldschool and awkward nowadays? Apart from that, the documentation and tutorials seems to be really thin on the ground as does the general community involvement. Maybe I'm just going about it the wrong way but I've spent the whole day looking into Cryengine and feel pretty confused/overwhelmed when compared to Unity and UE.

Where are all the game art tutorials that cover current day pipelines like Quixel>CryEngine or SP/SD>CryEngine, I mean damn...I can't even find a tutorial on setting up a PBR material :'(

Apologies if I'm being really stupid here.

Cheers,

K
  • coniurare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cryengine 5.2 is out, with a better FBX importer (not only static meshes, but now also materials and animations plus automatic conversion to cryengine formats), realtime GI (SVOGI) enhancements and other stuff (videos available at the link).

https://www.cryengine.com/news/cryengine-52-is-now-available-for-download