Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    not in games i worked on...
    multiple 2k or 4k maps... 
  • MITVIZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MITVIZ polycounter lvl 6
    saw for example you have a building with only things similar are like the windows and doors and all else are different would you split the roof into a separate map and the walls etc? what is a acceptable draw call for a simple building? is it better to have multiple parts of the building separate? like the walls and roof?
  • MITVIZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MITVIZ polycounter lvl 6
    also for a regular building would you opt to do baking from a high poly to low or not much baking for a simple building? i am working and a building that has about 6600 tris and 3300 polys
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    I don't think 8K is standard but it will begin to be once VR kicks off. Either that or more detail-masks.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8k maps are not used very often, if at all. 

For something like a building, you would typically build it with tiling textures, not a single, unique map.  You can split stuff up however you want, the more important the building is, the more unique textures you can get away with.  

Also, no point to baking a high poly for something like that....you can bake details for individual things, window frames, trims etc, but you wouldn't do a high poly for the building itself.
  • MITVIZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MITVIZ polycounter lvl 6
    the platform it will be used on is for pc, i got advice over on the unity forums that 8k is pretty normal and even goes up to 16k, so no am lost, should i stil render to texture and then use a tiling texture? or you have the building in parts and then apply the texture in the game engine? trying to figure out the best approach for this
  • vertex_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertex_ polycounter lvl 7
    I have never used an 8K map in any of the projects I've worked on, 16K is unheard of (Unity does not support a 16K texture) 4K can be used in moderation but as a 3D artist you have to mindful of the performance impact your assets will have on the application.

Typical way to approach a building is to assign separate material IDs for each section of the building (walls, windows, doors etc.) to use with corresponding textures. You might have a tiling brick texture on one material ID, and a non-tiling door texture on another ID. You could also put three different colored windows on one texture and use one ID for that, then offset UVs in your 3D application to achieve more variance. You could then apply some decals over the building or do some in-engine vertex painting for something like graffiti and stains.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    MITVIZ said:
    the platform it will be used on is for pc, i got advice over on the unity forums that 8k is pretty normal and even goes up to 16k
    Whoever said this is talking out their arse. It will be another while yet before 8K are anything like the norm, nevermind 16K!
  • MITVIZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MITVIZ polycounter lvl 6
    wow, never knew all this, thanks guys so my best bet is to stick with 2k textures
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn said:
    I don't think 8K is standard but it will begin to be once VR kicks off. Either that or more detail-masks.
    Quite the opposite.  VR requires you to render 2 screens per frame. It technically cuts performance in half with current hardware.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You are much more likely to see 1024 or 2048 texture with detail maps. But I think I heard Paragon has some 4k maps for characters, but most of the time they are going to be at lower resolutions. 
  • MITVIZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MITVIZ polycounter lvl 6
    o ok, didnt know, thanks guys