Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Basement Workshop WIP

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
fill3r polycounter lvl 12

Trying to iron out the workflow for PBR from Substance Painter to Unreal. Eventually rig for interactivity in VR

Floor and wall textures are place holder for figuring out the lighting.

Unreal setup

model

Any CC would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Philip

Replies

• brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work Phil, it looks good. It looks like it's in a game. Your stairs are not physically correct as there is nothing supporting them and would break if someone walked down them.  But other than that it looks good. Love the model of the electrical boxes.  Can you show the cardboard ones too?
  • snoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    Other than what's been stated already (also, nice work!), the materials look pretty much correct, but I didn't know this right off the bat until noticing my materials weren't translating very well from substance painter or designer to UE4. Make sure your greyscale maps, like metallic and roughness, have sRGB unchecked. I think you already do, sorry that I said anything if that's the case. I just remember not knowing that and having to look around a good hour or so before figuring out what was wrong. 
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    Looks really good!
    The ground seems to be too weared compared to the rest of materials, there is something wrong there, since all the materials should have aged, more or less, in the same way.
    Also I would add a horizontal line of grout where the walls meet the floor, since now it seems to be a little bit harsh.
    I don't think the stairs are physically incorrect, since the steps are embed in the two long planks and the two long plants rest both in the entrance and the ground floor.
  • keket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keket polycounter lvl 2
    Yeah you need to break that join of wall to floor up a bit, adding some dirt and grime should help, with the stairs I can see both peoples point of view, I think maybe a couple of vertical beams at the back is what's needed, and some more texture on the bricks, they seem overly uniform right now.

Good work on the lighting too, it reminds me of one of the levels from Swat 3 for some reason, I think it was the first one in the house.
  • fill3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fill3r polycounter lvl 12
    Thank you everyone for your comments.

I'll post the cardboard boxes soon as I fix a texture error. I'm planning on posting all the individual models to sketch Fab for my portfolio and ill update this accordingly.

@snoop - Thank you, I was unaware of that  sRGB issue. Ive just been using the presets in Painter. Ill make sure to keep an eye on that.

The stairs didn't feel right to me either I think I'm going to opt for something more like this.

The floor was a texture I was playing around with in Substance Designer but just couldn't get it to feel right. I'm going to opt for a less destructive look and more poured smooth concrete.

@keketYou are right, I definitely need to keep any eye on the seams from floor to wall.

Thank you all for the feedback,
    Philip
  • A_Clockwork_Bug
    Aside from what others have mentioned, I think that the wear on the metal surfaces could also be more targeted. It seems very uniform for the most part, which is fine if the intention is that nobody ever really goes into this room. 

If not, you could try adding some scratches or dings to the models in a more irregular fashion. The other thing that I noticed is that the wood propping the largest metal box up is very clean. It seems like it has been there for a while and should have been subjected to moisture and dust.

Lastly, the grey tubing seems to be very smooth and shiny? Not necessarily a problem, but that effect is not suggested by the base texture.

Aside from that, really nice work. All of the materials look like their real world equivalents, and the models are very well done.