Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Class Project WIP - Critiques Welcomed!

Hi there! I'm making this thread to show my progress for my high poly model I'm creating for class. My professor wanted us to show our work on these forums to get some exposure to other artists and get some great feedback. This is my first thread I've made on here so let me know if my images are too small or large for viewing! :)

So this is my second go at a high poly model. I'm creating a desk telescope and I'm working out some of the final details before I start exploding it and creating the low poly. Let me know of any critiques you may have! Thanks!  :)

References

Replies

• vincentvangeel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vincentvangeel polycounter lvl 4
    It's looking really nice so far, keep up the good work!
  • Andrew-The-Tall
    I've made some more progress! I'm ready to start converting my high poly to low. And I'm planning on adding a base for the prop to sit on for presentation. :)

• Andrew-The-Tall
    Still in the process of baking my low polys but here is the final approved high poly assembled

• joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    Can I get a wireframe without the turbosmooths or Nurmbs added? Essentially just show me the model with support loops 
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I can definitely tell from the get go is that your edges are way too tight in a lot of places, try to dial it back. From far away the edge highlights would'nt read good.
  • Andrew-The-Tall
    Still optimizing my low for baking. These 5 pieces are the ones my instructor told me to go back and work on. After a 2nd pass, these are my results:

• Andrew-The-Tall
    Can I get a wireframe without the turbosmooths or Nurmbs added? Essentially just show me the model with support loops 
    Hello Josh,
    here are some renders of the wireframe. 
    I see what you mean with the tightness of the support loops. I'll go back and ease up on them

• joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some areas are good, others you have the supporting loops too close to the edge thus causing a thing highlight. The LP's could be lower on some e.g. the 3rd you can remove all those extrusions. Also for round objects put 2 supporting loops so your highlight doesnt run off.
  • Andrew-The-Tall
    Finished unwrapping this thing! Searched near and far for any seam errors, overlapped/inverted polygons, 90 degree angles and such and it's all clean. Below is a collage of some of the major pieces. (You might notice some errors in the collage but I'm already fixing them as you observe  :) ).

• Andrew-The-Tall
    I made a huge push over the week. I got a lot of maps baked and applied to the asset. I currently have it in Marmoset and completed a first texture pass. Each map is 2k so rather than have a thread 100 miles long, I made a collage of the main maps. If you'd like them separated, let me know :) 

• DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DweenieTodd polycounter lvl 3
    Great texturing so far! Just out of interest, are these textures you've sampled from a free website, or have you use perhaps substance designer, quixel or another software to create them?

Based on your reference, the metal i would tone down a little bit. As well, you could add some noise and grunge into the metalness map. Currently, the scope looks completely brand new and has never been touched, which isn't the case in the references you've got.
  • Andrew-The-Tall
    Great texturing so far! Just out of interest, are these textures you've sampled from a free website, or have you use perhaps substance designer, quixel or another software to create them?

Based on your reference, the metal i would tone down a little bit. As well, you could add some noise and grunge into the metalness map. Currently, the scope looks completely brand new and has never been touched, which isn't the case in the references you've got.
    Hey there! I've been getting my textures off of CGTextures.com

And yeah definitely! I'll grunge it up and make it look more used. Thanks for the tip! :)
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

And yeah definitely! I'll grunge it up and make it look more used. Thanks for the tip! :)
    Ahh CGTextures is often my place for textures! 

No worries dude, just something i learnt that helps to add some more telling wear and such ;) Any work in substance or qixel, or is this purely taking textures from CGTextures, and editing them in Photoshop?
    Keep going, loving the overall project.
  • Andrew-The-Tall

Ahh CGTextures is often my place for textures! 

No worries dude, just something i learnt that helps to add some more telling wear and such ;) Any work in substance or qixel, or is this purely taking textures from CGTextures, and editing them in Photoshop?
    Keep going, loving the overall project.
    Thank you man! Yeah right now it's just cgtextures, and photoshop. I'm still fairly new to the 3D game, and learning about various programs and apps. I haven't touched on qixel just yet!
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For someone that's fairly new to 3D, you've grasped it well! You've made quite a nice model, but it's normally the case with beginners as i found myself, that modelling is the part we all enjoy. Actually making a convincing model requires good texture work, which you've started on. It's like a marriage, both parties need to have the same amount of love and effort placed into it for it to work ;) 
  • Andrew-The-Tall
    One more base pass before I move onto details! I also added to my cavity map and normal map to create some engravements in specific areas

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Very nice work. :)

However, you should remove the Cavity and AO details from your Albedo texture - your Albedo texture should not contain any shadowing information at all if you are trying to make physically realistic props. AO and Cavity are separate textures in themselves. If you open the "Occlusion" rollout within the Marmoset Toolbag, you can add an AO and Cavity texture there, separately.

• Andrew-The-Tall
    Oh wow thanks! I did not know that. I knew about the AO slot but I wasn't aware of the cavity slot.  :o Thanks!
  • Andrew-The-Tall

Did a detail pass. This guy is due tomorrow night, so i will be up all night cleaning things up! I have this asset in Unreal as well, but I'm currently working out some bugs. 

• Andrew-The-Tall
    I prepped the asset in Unreal 4 and getting for final looks for class tonight!. Never used unreal before, so any tips on making this thing look hot are definitely welcome! :) Not sure why that ridiculous lense flare is going on. It doesn't appear in my viewport, but only when I render it for a screengrab does it appear.

• Andrew-The-Tall
    Alright I turned in the assignment! Wish me luck! I exported my Marmoset file into a viewer. Take a closer look if you wish! Thanks for all your feedback!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k2avy
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Looks really nice. I have a hunch you'll be getting a good grade!