Home Technical Talk

Time to complete models?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
I know the answer to this question will vary, but I want to get an idea of how much time a 3d modeler takes to complete an asset in a professional setting on average. I just want to know so I can gauge myself. Not only on quality, but speed as well.

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Super broad question that has no real answer.

1 day = 8 hours
    1 week = 5 days

Modern main character? 4 to 20+ weeks.
    Modern simulation-game car? 3 to 10 weeks.
    Modern First Person weapon? 1 to 6 weeks.
    Modern tileable texture? <1 to 3 days.
    Modern simple prop? <1 to 3 days.

There will be people that post after me to correct these times because that is what polycount has become as of late, but just remember, these are VERY vague estimates, but should give you an idea.
  • dyf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyf
    I used to frequent an irc channel with a bot that sets up a timer, tells participants to start modeling, gives them the link to upload their work once the time is finished. The channel is #smc on freenode. I haven't visited it in months but it became dead if i remember right. But it helped me a lot in comparing my modeling quality against other people.

It is better to get an idea of how much time YOU need to model instead of relying on information from others. I remember there was someone in that irc channel who does an amount of detail that was just impossible for me to do in the same time.  He was a super modeler or something
  • Klunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk ngon master
    as long as it takes ! :smile:, though someone should really tell management :wink: At one studio I used to open scenes to add the effects to find them half finished, artist would just shrug and say "I ran out of time". it's a very tricky problem to gauge, especially when you have to achieve a certain "quality" , models can get reworked many times over.

• Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    Depends on the asset, it's importance and the artist's comfortability with the content. If you make one type of model all the time, you'll get in a groove. I used to make spaceships, by the 300th part I was going pretty damn quick.. but if I were to switch gears to women's hair? Brick wall while I figure things out. So it's not exactly fair imo to compare yourself with an artist that's been working in a solid pipeline hammering out whatever content for ages. Keep that in mind when you get some rockstar quotes.