Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portrait critique

Hey everyone! It would be awesome if I could get feedback/critique/suggestions for this piece I recently finished. I'm still learning, so any recommendations to material, tutorials and the like would be handy and appreciated as well!

I'll do my best to respond to any replies :)

Thanks!

f1siQmJ.png

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    not bad. need a bit more info n what your aiming for though. what style are you going for? what do you want to improve on? what do you want crits on? anatomy, composition, color, rendering?
  • Shade117 pro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lotet I don't actually know what I've done to make it look alright, I suppose a stroke of luck is what happened haha. I would like to know what I can improve on, especially in composition, colour and rendering. However I'm open to anything!

I had some struggle in making it have depth, the rim lighting helped remedy that but I feel like I could do more lighting to the face (and hair actually). I can't figure out how to go about it though.
  • xeoncat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    Nice shapes, they're pretty much on point. the only thing I could say is that the right eye could be more squashed and the pupil a little more hidden.
    As for color. Skin shadows are a little more red (especially the neck shadow). shadows are never black, so they usually carry the color of the surface they're projected on.
  • Shade117 pro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @xeoncat Thank you for the feedback, I tried to fix what you suggested.
    catGhDs.png?1

For squashing the eye, I wasn't sure what that meant but I tried bringing it in closer. Should the shadows be more saturated?
  • gavinli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Shade117 Pro,

As Lotet mentioned it's a little easier to give constructive feedback if we know what style you're aiming for with the image. For example if you're going for a cel-shaded, Borderlands style like how you've done the eye lines then I'd consider lightening the nose bridge and lip lines a tad. Or else if you're for example going for a more realistic and soft shade like the rim-light transition on the neck and shading on the iris, then you could use the white reflections on the hair more sparingly and her face could have a little more depth of tone. If the hair is picking up that much light above, she may have some shadow from her brow ridge or cheekbone. If you want to go a little more realistic you could could give the mouth region a tiny bit definition.

Let us know what kind of style you're aiming for so we might manage to give some more constructive feedback ;)

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Gavin
  • Shade117 pro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @gavinli Thanks for the reply! Sorry it took so long but I've had other work to do :(

The style I'm going for is something more realistic. I'm trying to go for it, but things may just look a bit cartoony due to me just not knowing much about blending colours and such hahah.

Since I was working on one layer, I had trouble doing a complete paint over on the image I posted earlier, however, I ended up working on a new piece and took into account some colour techniques to help make things look more closer to what I'd like.
    Here it is:
    blue_by_shade117pro-d96jeb7.png

I feel like I have trouble going over the linework, as if I'm not doing it the best way I could. When I paint over the linework, I think I lose some of the shapes that I had initially and some parts also lose definition and I don't know how to remedy that. Also, is there any advice that could be given to clean up edges?

Thank you all for your replies so far :)
  • gavinli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Shade117 pro,

This latest image is already a lot better in terms of colour compared to the previous :) The colours of the shadows are nice and could even be a little darker near the tighter regions for a more pleasing ambient occlusion. In case you haven't already looked into ambient occlusion it's the regions where light can't reach as well as others (doesn't require a light source) for example the second image in this: http://orig02.deviantart.net/887d/f/2014/271/2/3/masks_by_visoutre-d80wync.jpg

Some ambient occlusion near the fringe will help make her less 'flat'.

Where there's the main light source from the camera's direction seen on the cheek, nose and chin highlights, the hair doesn't show this as much so you could treat the hair as a very general rough sphere shape and render it as such, where there's highlights in the camera's direction, a cooler light source from the right of the image and a natural darkness in between like on the nose tip and chin.

As for line art, I find myself that cleaning up line art just takes a bit of time and whether you do clean lines from the get go or clean it up at the end, either way you'll still need to invest some time into sharpening them up (if that's the clean style you're going for). If you hide the line art layer it's a great way to see the areas that need some clean-up so just start and enjoy the process for now. And let me know if you find a shortcut so I can also use it! :D

I hope that helps and great job so far!

Best regards,

Gavin