Home General Discussion

A UArtsy Subscription Kickstarter

ryankingslien
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ryankingslien polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, thought I would share this kickstarter I've just launched.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1612243374/uartsy-subscriptions-affordable-3d-art-education

Its to get our live master classes into the hands of everyone at a much reduced price. Let me know what you think and please help me share this when you have a moment. :)

-ryan

Replies

• stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    something about this make me uneasy. first of all its the sales language, but maybe thats a neccesity. i feel though that some stuff is very vague like for example;
    "Why subscription model?
    • No waiting for instruction to begin
    • Work at your own pace and on your own schedule
    • Subscribe and grow immediately
    • Incredible pricing for sold-out thousand dollar courses
    • Pricing makes access possible for anyone
    "
    the two first says the same thing, the third doesnt make any sense or answer the question, and the two last also says the same.

just an example obvoiusly, but i feelt that this vague sales talk went through all of the text. you do have prestigious names and people tied to this thing, so why not let that speak for itself?

secondly i think that kickstarter is the wrong platform for this. i read most of the text twice, and i still dont understand how or why kickstarter is used. if you have a subcribtion pricing modell why not let people sign up for that and then lower the price if it gets enough people? why mix in kickstarter in this?
  • ryankingslien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja - I reread it and agree with you. I just finished rewriting it. :)

I also moved that section, "Why I'm Using Kickstarter" up some and really cut to the chase abit more. Its just below the catalog of courses.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

r
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yeah good presentation Ryan.
    That is an impressive list of artists you have there and of course it takes money to start and run a business.
    I hope this project fires up and succeeds!
    Cheerio
  • Syzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan never gets enough with money
  • ryankingslien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanga - Thanks for the support! :)

Syzero - Not sure I understand you but I'd agree that money isn't the point. Can't take the money with you, after all. Hopefully, though, we can make these courses available to everyone. :)
  • ryankingslien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tidal Blast. Edited those images just a moment ago. Been a long day of writing and rewriting to get the whole message clearer. My hats off to marketers & wordsmiths!

I just completely rewrote the beginning part to really explain why I think learning 3D is so important. I remember waiting tables like it was yesterday. Loved the excitement and rush but so glad I'm doing something that connects to my core today.

-ryan
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I'll support it, some of those courses look amazing, and if everything goes well with it this could become an invaluable resource to artists who are starting out.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    I will support this, but probably at a later date. Either one or two years subscription.

If you haven't seen this https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1612243374/uartsy-subscriptions-affordable-3d-art-education/ it gives a basic projection. If you see this goes below 90% you should probably consider adding more higher tier pledges or how you are advertising this.

I really hope you don't lose the 10 week courses and I really also hope the quality doesn't go down.

I see what you mean about making it affordable to people, however there is a lot of low quality 3D courses where you do them and learn nothing. The good thing about uartsy is that the courses are worth the money. I really for example like Brett's course I'm currently doing. The two other course I brought are also really good. So yes they are expensive(through a lot cheaper than doing an art school course), but they are worth the money.

Good luck with this.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Ryan,

this strikes me as a good idea but as someone who paid premium price for one of the courses on Uartsy that specifically read "environment creation techniques for games" and ended up working on a bunch of highpoly projects for what seemed mostly still renders, I became somewhat wary of the game art side of Uartsy. I hope you keep adding more game-focused courses that *really* deal with game art...
  • unpixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unpixel null
    This looks great. I Backed it. 2 year.