Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

L115A3

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
BetaRazer polycounter lvl 6
Greetings to the Polycount community.

Finished this model a short while ago. Didn't see anything else out there in the world of CG art that compared close, so I made a personal effort to make the quality of this as high as possible.

10,777 tris, Diffuse, Normal, Specular and Gloss maps at 4096 x 4096 (a bit overkill I know). Rendered in Marmoset Skyshop. Any feedback is welcomed.

cwD85E5.png

XL6Q0vs.png

m4R8H75.png

jjfk0Vo.jpg

Replies

• BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hey!
    Good Start, but i would make the parts which are nearer to the player more rounded.
    I mean the main scope and the handle lever. Next Gen offers you much more Polys ^^
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work.
    What do you mean that there wasn't anything that compared close?
    I would expect this weapon with over 10k tris and a 4k to have a rounder scope, though. The poly count love haven't been given to that area and the bake doesn't look clean.
    If this is a 1st person weapon, I would assume most of the attention would be put here, especially when the rest of the gun doesn't need very many tris.

Otherwise, nice work. I think it's a shame you called it finished, it would be so much better with a little texture love. Some parts of the gun looks like just the normals with a blockout diffuse, and it would really make this a lot better if you spent some time breaking it up just a tiny bit, in my opinion.

Hope you decide to do so!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I believe he means it's not a very common gun model like the AK-47 or M4/M16. Which is true, although there have been a few other people that made it.

And yeah, the scope is definitely too angular for the polycount, as is the bolt.
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To elaborate on my earlier point, I've seen a lot of military weapons for games, and I wanted to try something that isn't commonly seen and attempt to be different. There has been various AWM's such as the L96A1 and the L118A1, but I didn't find anything related to this one with similar artistic quality.

I have yet to try a very high poly version, so this does open up some room to experiment. The overall look that was aimed for was to show the rifle is fairly new, but has seen some light usage already. Neither clean nor over-used.

This is some very useful feedback however, all of which I'll take into account. Much appreciated guys/girls.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Its great to see someone who takes critique, now that we have had a few uhm... less open minded people posting lately :D

Can we see a shot of the wires, please? Im actually curious where you spent all the polies.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I actually made one of these a while ago. Your scope actually isn't the correct one (I learnt this myself the hard way). I don't consider the texture finished, but this is what I have so far myself (hope it helps in some way):

d694b5bb23.png
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I actually made one of these a while ago. Your scope actually isn't the correct one (I learnt this myself the hard way). I don't consider the texture finished, but this is what I have so far myself (hope it helps in some way):

Unless I'm mistaken, aren't scopes removable/ interchangeable?
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Unless I'm mistaken, aren't scopes removable/ interchangeable?

Yeah, but the scope is standard issue for this rifle, and I don't think the British military (who issue this gun) like people changing it around. At least this is what I was told.
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can find my WIP thread here under digital sketchbooks:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134217

It's interesting to see how many different variations one can come up with, so I wanted to find out how much I could get away with by keeping the model to around 10k tris.

There are other attachments available, such as the Bipod, Monopod and different scopes, but these are not present with my rifle. I may consider these too.

The British Military recommend the standard Schmidt & Bender Telescopic sight, even though the brand is German. I don't understand why either.

In response to Spoon's question, here is a wireframe:

SyTP1Pq.png
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, but the scope is standard issue for this rifle, and I don't think the British military (who issue this gun) like people changing it around. At least this is what I was told.

I admit I don't know a thing about British military, but the American M4 comes with standard issue iron sights. Fortunately the M4 has picatinny rails and optics are highly customizable. Similarly, This rifle has a fairly similar rail system and I'd be shocked if sniper's aren't allowed to tinker with their guns. Whatever makes a soldier better at his job, right?

All this to say; I think deviating from standard issue is acceptable. Last thing you want to do is go back and remodel, UV, pack, bake and texture right?
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I admit I don't know a thing about British military, but the American M4 comes with standard issue iron sights. Fortunately the M4 has picatinny rails and optics are highly customizable. Similarly, This rifle has a fairly similar rail system and I'd be shocked if sniper's aren't allowed to tinker with their guns. Whatever makes a soldier better at his job, right?

All this to say; I think deviating from standard issue is acceptable. Last thing you want to do is go back and remodel, UV, pack, bake and texture right?

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1875230&postcount=29

I had to re-do mine :P but then again the project called for accuracy (mine was originally for project reality 2). Obviously it doesn't really matter unless your target audience are gun experts...
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a small update from me. The scope I've added some more polys, as it was looking slightly "blocky" before.

ATcIkML.png

I'd also love to find out how to improve the scope, with regards to it's reflectivity, and any additional cubemaps. If there's any good tutorials out there, I'd like to know.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Scope is looking so much better! Good job :) Are you done with the textures? Some more wear and tear could really make this gun pop.
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Kimon.

I had taken a small break away from this, but given popular demand, I'm going to re-visit the texturing. Some wear and tear will be on the cards. :)
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Technically this is not a L115A3, as ghaztehschmexeh said.

Wrong Muzzlebrake, wrong scope, wrong mount, missing parts.
    Color isnt flat dark earth either, but more sandish.

Parts are interchangeable yes, but as ghaz said, the weapons are issued, hence they are all the same, with all the attachments.
    A bloke cant just use a different scope and whatnot, just for his liking.
    Those guns are also part of MoD insurance, meaning once a "privatly" aquired part should fail, no insurance will be paid to the soldier.

Similar should a piece on the M4 fail, say a privately bought scope, buttstock etc
    The guy will be sacked, reprimandated or whatnot.
    Gun Parts on an issued Weapon are specially selected to fit regulations and requirements of each branch of the military.

Just because something "maybe" better, doenst mean it does fit military rules and requirements, or does fit the weapon type.
    An L96 isnt just different from its appearance to an L115A1/2/3, but also has a different caliber, hence, needs a different scope, etc etc.

The model is nice, but it´s no L115A3 it´s rather an A2.
    They also did use S&B scopes on the A2´s.

For a bit more artsy fartsy critique..
    it´s boring to see a sniper rifle in its pure shape..
    The guys really try to cam it up..

Brits use loads of sniper tape and paint..
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BringMeASunkist: Tinkering with the existing mesh again is probably not wise. I'd have to go back and re-bake all the maps, as you've said. I might model a new scope from the existing one however.

Rumkugel: I'm not trying to be pedantic or anything with the naming convention of this model. I simply chose the L115A3 designation as its a very recognizable weapon. However your point about camo, tape and colour is valid: I will take this into consideration. If you look at the L115 model belonging to ghaztehschmexeh, this isn't 100% alike to the real life version. We as artists can get away with some artistic license ;)

Updated the normals a bit, with the inclusion of some tape. Not sure if white tape is the colour, but feel free to comment on that. After some trial and error, I eventually get there, with ND02 throwing a fit and crashing on me a few times. A bit frustrating. :/

Moved everything into Marmoset TB 2. Made a small adjustment with the Scope lens (both sets, front and rear). To me, it's getting there. Rounded them a little more, so that they are no longer flat meshes, but now have some curvature to them, which refracts the light a bit more. Just to give it some more radial effect.

Yjh53JD.jpg

CEa55wQ.jpg

phD6buG.jpg

Adding some slight surface detail to the stock to imitate carbon fibre a little more will be my next task. Not looking "sweet" or "awesome" yet. This has yet to change though.
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, been working on an alternate scope. Adjustments including an additional dial and a slight increase in length.Front and rear flip covers excluded.

14RzVxQ.jpg

ypcsJEK.jpg

v9R63A3.jpg

N1UhfTk.jpg

I've come across some interesting modular rifle attachments, including a different scope mount. Going to attempt to try and produce some more of these in the meantime.
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might have to amend my original statement, not quite finished yet. But we're getting closer. I may have to edit the magazine tape, the bolt and the stock in the near future. Modified scope from earlier has not yet been added (but fully intend to).

Here's an update:

WOmtAAq.jpg

laFbb0M.jpg

6k0OtJV.jpg

j2EUAah.jpg

1ePIyZW.jpg

Any thoughts/ comments; do feel free to post them!
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    Can you please share the maps (essp for the scope)?
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock: Here are the textures; Diffuse, Normal, Specular & Gloss @ 4096 x 4096. Hopefully that clears up your question. Resolution of image below is lower for faster loading speeds.

eZdzBxX.png

The scope UV's are located in the lower right-hand corner. I also created a separate material in Marmoset 2 for the scope lens; this uses an Alpha material overlaid with the diffuse map; to show the accumulated moisture.

Hopefully that answers your question :)
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome work! The scope looks great
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I know it's been a while.

Just altered the textures for this rifle of mine. Previously, it was using last-gen materials. This time; now fully PBR complete and available to view in Marmoset Viewer too;
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/betarazer

Here are some shiny new renders and the maps I used;

gqGeTPS.png

nfyLQf5.png

wGX9Hg8.png

NoSXwVs.jpg

teWfB4i.jpg

QceLJOI.png

v7wH8JW.png

msLvUOW.jpg