Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular Building (UE4)

Hello I am creating a modular building. I have 6 weeks and this is the 4th week. I currently have it in UE4. I have a question with how I should go about the silhouette for the main building pieces. I used floaters but it created poor shadows. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Progress so far

aB908B.jpg

y1W313.jpg

lItF2K.jpg

eqQQRf.png

OR3bFA.png

Replies

• locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, nice work.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    looks good, wish you would go back and work on the brick texture. Use crazy bump or quixel or bring it in as a displace map in zbrush and build a model there to make your maps from.. The texture looks flat, meaning there is no bump coming out.
  • james swanson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    james swanson polycounter lvl 5
    I agree with snake85027, and to add, I think the bricks are too large. Compare them to your reference. The bigger bricks mess with the overall scale and make the building smaller than it should be.

For the brick texture, I think you're adding too much contrast to the actual texture. The contrast in the bricks in the reference mostly comes from the shadows they cast.

j27409.jpg

In this ref, there's much less actual contrast in the actual base color of the bricks. I suggest making a tiling texture by using 3ds max (or whatever modelling program you're using) as well as Zbrush. I think Oniram has a good tutorial for this, and it would give much more believable results if paired with fixing the contrast.

Keep it up, it's looking good!