Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male_Character_Anatomy_Help

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Azure_Dragon polycounter lvl 6
Trying to build my knowledge of anatomy and produce what i have learnt onto my sculpts.

face_zpsd2e28f8b.jpg

Any help to push my understanding would be great head. I have started with this, it does have a body but slowly ill move onto it. But for now the face :). I can see a few issues on their which are basic shapes i put in but are over done such as the cheek fat connecting from the nose to the mouth. the gap between the eye brows need to be reshaped. and the mouth i haven't rally touched upon. Having trouble with the jaw and jaw line.

Replies

• Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and the top part of the head needs to be be smoother and the ears i have just touched on. no serious commitment their just yet.
  • Croftyness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Croftyness polycounter lvl 11
    Hi,
    Do you have a reference?
    If not this image can really help you.
    8JAhmKg.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    My first thought is you have subdivided or are dynameshing too high. You need to work more on basic shape of the head, placement of the key features, and proportion of those elements. This will all be MUCH easier to do at a lower polycount. The major thing I notice is the cranium appears too narrow and possible too tall. From the front, the ears are too close to his head. From the profile, his head looks too wide from the front to the back. The ear also appears to be too small but that is probably accentuated from the head being too long from front to back. Get good reference and really focus on the proper shape and placement of his ears, nose, mouth, eyes before you start detailing at higher levels.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the references. Yeah i agree, i need to scale down the polys and really work on the shapes and form. I just keep finding my self stuck and frustrated when doing the face. I never seem to be moving forward that much. so i give up. But i have so many ideas for character art, its the only thing that drives me to just buckle up and deal with these issues. The basics of sculpting puts me down always. I lack the experience its like my 3rd face sculpt each one seems to be a slight push in the right direction. But nothing still looks right :(.

I will march on and have an update later on so please to be harsh i can take critique because i strive to become better.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iv started by adding in the face planes and smoothed them out moved the eyes and nose down slightly, reshaped the cranium by adjusting the height and width slightly. Moved the eyes and mouth slightly aswell. Is this going into the right direction now or has it gone worse. I feel some areas the shape and form has been destroyed and other slightly better.

face1_zps4f8af670.jpg
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If any one could do a quick paint over that would be great. as i am messaging this post i am still currently working on it cuz i still have allot of douts
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leon_Raven polycounter lvl 9
    Mp4ekN6.jpgI did it very fastly, but here is where you probably want to focus more. The shape on the head on the top is WAY too high! Also the ear needs to be more thick!

Keep it up though! You are doing very good! Use lots and lots of reference like the one posted before here!
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the guide lines, This may be my final update for today i could possibly squeeze in another before sleep if i get some feedback in time. Right now i've somewhat fixed the head shape. As advised i am looking into allot of references and face drawing, it became so clear to me that the face was very long and the proportions was way off.

The drawing lessons have really helped allot. So far this is my progress please leave a comment, anything will be helpful. paintovers, quick comments anything :)

face2_zpsbeb181eb.jpg
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retdfKr.jpgWay better, but the shape of the head is still weird. Check this out: you forehead is still looking like it's squashed towards the inside of the head, and the deformation is also still visible on the top of the head. Try and match the shape with the sketches from loomis. You are modelling in zBrush right? Do you know how to set the "seethrough" option? It can really help you! :)
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes i am using zbrush, hmm i have never thought of doing that, only using 3dsmax. Is it easy setting up. Is this a good reference to use, because i am going to be doing the complete body.

Figureproportions_zps00deb55c.jpg
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! Put that on your desktop somewhere, and resize the Zbrush window with the "seethrough" option on, and keep modelling adapting the shapes to the image behind! I used it for my 3D portrait we had to do at uni. It really helps when trying to get the shapes right.

keep it up!
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry i haven't updated in a few days, I'm working on the T-70 Light Tank for my portfolio alongside this project.

Any how iv got the plains in, but having difficulty trying to make the model see through
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays progress. Still working on the shapes hand forms. i am finding trouble picking stuff out that looks off now. Please critique and let me know if u can pick anything out so i can fix. Before i move up sub levels.

Facelatest222_zps97bc3f1f.jpg