Home Quixel Megascans

AWAITING CONFIRMATION: 3DO somehow not connected

Whenever I launch 3DO with a custom mesh loaded I'm greeted with a blank screen as if the mesh failed to load. The same happens when adding the mesh into a new project or using the custom loader. I tested with a triangulated box, but the same issue occurs so it's not because of topology issues.

Furthermore, 3DO fails to display any of the textures even when using the build-in preview meshes, so in a way it seems like it's completely out-of-synch with the rest of the application.

I'm using the latest version (1.7).

Any ideas?

Replies

• saixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably same problem here. 3do.png
  • mindflux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it seems. The mesh icon in 3DO is grayed out at all times.

Just tried reinstalling 1.7 from scratch with UAC disabled, no help.
  • saixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had this problem in 1.6 too and hoped the 1.7 will fix it. I try it reinstall many times but nothing changed. I tried it install with UAC off but same problem. Update 1.8 doesn't helped me.
  • mindflux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tested 1.8 as well, but sadly there's no change. To be fair there was nothing about the issue in the release notes, so it wasn't really expected anyway. Otherwise stellar work with the update, as always.

I just noticed that 3DO does work somehow if you create a new project without defining a mesh; after loading 3DO the maps are displayed correctly on the default mesh. However, loading a custom mesh doesn't work at all, and seemingly it makes no difference how the .obj exporter is configured.

Might be a coincidence, but it looks like you're using CS6 as well.
  • saixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using PS CC , Win 8.1 . But we have here little different. I have this problem with NDO too . My maps doesn't display any way no matter what type of mesh i'm using. I have always same result. (screenshot on top)
  • mindflux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, so also if you add no mesh to the project when creating it, just a map? Because mine works then.
  • saixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. Here I try it with NDO. ndo.png
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
    I'm having the same problem but mine is not even letting me load the mesh after. What makes me upset, is that I never had a problem before and then I wanted to update to the newest version and ever since then I haven't been able to use 3do. I hate updating things just for this reason. If it's not broke don't fix it,.... but I wanted the new features.
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    Mine was only showing the AO in the window at one point. Was very strange. Tried reloading several times but didnt fix the issue.

Not had a chance yet to create a new project though to see if it is an issue with the current project.
  • faceless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    faceless polycounter lvl 2
    Duplicate post. Deleted.
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
    I found a solution to the problem I was having and it was just a mesh export issue. Here is how I exported my mesh out of 3ds max
    VQDMQbY.png
  • faceless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm posting here as it seems that I am having a somewhat similar issue. Specifically for me I ran into trouble when I made a small tapering adjustment to my mesh, hit reimport mesh via quixel and ever since my mesh has lost all it's material info and renders in the default 3DO white material.

Has this happened to any of you? I've tried reverting to 1.7 from 1.8 yet the issue persists. No matter what I seem to do I can't get my mesh to once again display it's associated quixel materials.

I'm fairly certain if I made a new project it would fix the issue but it would be at the cost of all the customization I've done with the materials so it's an absolute last resort (to start over).

Any insights/comments would be appreciated.
  • mindflux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I use ZBrush preset when exporting, seems to work.

My 3DO started finally working after I upgraded to CC and reinstalled. It still seems somewhat shaky (i.e. often crashing unless you work carefully) but at least I can finally work. Again, an ingenious piece of software.
  • saixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cg mindflux

For me is this problem still not fixed, i hope someone answer me from quixel support.
    I will try find solution myself and if I will succeed I write it here.
    I will be glad for any help.
  • mindflux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's hoping you'll get it sorted out soon enough, 3DO is pretty crucial.
  • faceless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    faceless wrote: »
    I'm posting here as it seems that I am having a somewhat similar issue. Specifically for me I ran into trouble when I made a small tapering adjustment to my mesh, hit reimport mesh via quixel and ever since my mesh has lost all it's material info and renders in the default 3DO white material.

Has this happened to any of you? I've tried reverting to 1.7 from 1.8 yet the issue persists. No matter what I seem to do I can't get my mesh to once again display it's associated quixel materials.

I'm fairly certain if I made a new project it would fix the issue but it would be at the cost of all the customization I've done with the materials so it's an absolute last resort (to start over).

Any insights/comments would be appreciated.

After some more experimentation I managed to solve this, so I'll post what I found in case anyone is having the same issue.

Turns out (and I may have missed this information from the get-go) the group name of the mesh when you export is associated to the quixel project. Since my mesh is a composite from multiple objects and then combined before export... the order in which I merged the separate components determined which component name gets used to represent the consolidated mesh.

So when I made a change to an element of my mesh and then re-attached everything, I didn't do it in the same order (in 3DSMAX) as my initial export and so it chose it's group name based on the first object I used to attach the rest to, which didn't match up with the quixel project.

Anyhow, long story short... I renamed my group before export to what it was set to during the creation of my quixel project and voila.

Hope this helps.
  • saixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But my problem is somehow NDO and DDO is not connected to 3DO . I tried make new project , create something simple or open existing project but every time i got same result. Last time when worked NDO correctly with 3DO was in 1.6 version of quixel.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! So sorry for late reply!

Seems most of you sorted this out by yourself, very well done but again, sorry for not replying sooner.

As Faceless pointed out, the name of the group is very crucial if you are re-importing your meshes, otherwise DDO wont connect your maps to the model.

For those of you who still cant get it to work, could you try the sample projects from the wiki:
    http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_samples

Just to rule out any input problems, also make sure to update to the latest version, 1.8.
    If that doesnt help come back here and we will sort it out. Thank you for your patience.
  • saixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Eric

On the first screenshot (second post) i'm using project from wiki (Scifi Helmet) and the result is still same.

I have win 8.1, Photoshop CC (14.0 20130423.r.221) , GeForce GT 750M 2GB (i think that's not important but i write it here)
  • theOrzel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    i'm having the same problem as you Saixon. 3Do is connected neither with ndo nor ddo. Also, every time I want to load custom map I get this:

N0OdeEO.png

but I think I know what's the problem. I had some weird issues with Adobe After Effects as well. i'm using Win 8.1 and I'm logged to my Polish account. Polish language has special characters like: ł ś
  • saixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello

it would be weird but it's a option. I'm from Czech Republic and we here too special characters like : ě, š, č, ř, ž, ň (and i have it too in log in name) . I have windows installed in Czech language , adobe in english language. I can't test it on another pc.
  • theOrzel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saixon wrote: »
    Hello

it would be weird but it's a option. I'm from Czech Republic and we here too special characters like : ě, š, č, ř, ž, ň (and i have it too in log in name) . I have windows installed in Czech language , adobe in english language. I can't test it on another pc.

I'm just guessing. The error message has <?> instead of 'ł'. Or... maybe it's just Windows 8.1. Anyway I need to solve this ASAP
  • theOrzel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a clean Windows 8.1 install and didn't use special Polish characters in user name this time. I didn't help, but... I got different error (missing DLL). I had read about such problems before so knew what to do. I opened PS fist as administrator and then run Quixel Suite (also with administrator privileges). It works now!

Hope it helps
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys!

Unfortunately the suite doesnt (yet) handle those characters very well, so if you do have them in the path to where the suite is installed it will cause a problem!

If its any consolation to anyone i think theě, š, č, ř, ž, ň characters are way cool, and hopefully we will get support for them soon as well.

TheOrzel great news! :)
  • saixon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be nice ! :)

I reinstalled quixel to another folder (program files) but 3DO still don't work and I got this error.

error.png
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saixon - did your project have any special characters in the path name?