polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
Decided to model a sci-fi AA Gun.
The High Poly is pretty much finished, and the results so far:
ibefyeOVyKdrSO.png
And a fancy GI render:
ibfEWQtx4039yh.png

Suggestions and feedback are highly appreciated!

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice and interesting shape, will watch for textured version for sure
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    pretty slick design. I to will be waiting for textures! sick stuff
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Almost done with the lowpoly.
    Meanwhile, trying keyshot for the first time:
    ibgJxl6GGEmVwd.png
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man! Looks really good! Be careful, the keyshot render looks like it is flying, sorry if it is like that, but I personally find it weird. Everything else looks great, I can´t wait to see the textured low poly.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Remove the shadows in Keyshot, or Right click the model, and "Move to floor/ground". But part of the model is already touching the floor, so I guess you need to adjust it. Keep going man.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    The force is strong with this one
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips guys, balanced it out!
    Also, finished baking and started texturing(interior not done yet):
    ib2jIYoi7NvIQy.png
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    looking good so far. Some variation/shades of the colours would be nice. Texture screams dDo at the moment, is that what you're using?
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good so far. Some variation/shades of the colours would be nice. Texture screams dDo at the moment, is that what you're using?

Nope.
    Substance Designer. You are probably referring to the edge wear. Just started the texturing, so the wear and tear will appear more natural as I go further. Also, going to give it a Painter pass, for more specific detail.
    As for the colors, I am currently trying a new color scheme. Tried to stay consistent with the concept, but the concept is a bit blend. Should I go full blown scifi-colorful, or more "US Airforce"?
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    this is dope ! what did u texture this with? ddo?
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood wrote: »
    this is dope ! what did u texture this with? ddo?

Thanks! I'm using Substance Designer.
  • SnowGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowGhost polycounter lvl 11
    I generally like it, but it looks way to light on the back and heavy on the front. I think splaying out the legs like a german ww2 flak cannon would really help in making it look more like a Flak cannon and not just a cannon of some sort. If it's meant to be bolted to the ground then perhaps some sort of mount/base would also work. There also doesn't seem to be any sort of ammunition source (lasers?) Adding some sort of detail to the model to account for the ammunition would also add a lot to it I think.

Where does the user sit? Is it remotely operated or does the user sit inside that circle? A seat and some control instuments would be cool. Maybe a ladder. Thinking of such things can really make your model stand out and be seen as something real.

**EDIT sorry, I somehow overlooked you're highpoly there. :thumbup:
    I still stand by the "looks light on the back and heavy on the front" statement though.

I really need to sit down and learn substance designer better.
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Nice improvement, I see you went with the US Airforce style texture, good choice. Wear and tear looks better. Adding some slight damage on the yellow labels you did would probably benefit this. The labels seem so fresh and brand new, but when you look at the scratches on the metal, you know this thing has history. Especially the yellow stripes on the bottom. You could just go to that layer in photoshop and use a scratch brush as an eraser and damage it up a bit. Would add just a beat more realism

But thats just a suggestion. Also, are you going to be including the seat, and also those metal bars? I see its there in the first images you posted but not in the most recent. It adds a good amount of detail to the piece, you should really include it.

As i said this is doing great, keep us updated
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Lovely design ! Silhouette looks great.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words!
    Another update:

idMPTnWt00Q0p.png
    idt9QD50cAYoW.png
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Still trying to figure out how it manages to feed ammunition to the barrel(projectile or energy weapon?) The entire firing mechanism is the bit behind the "screen" there it seems.
    The texture work and such is absolutely great though and at this point it's just little design stuff which I'm sure you would have no problem adjusting to.
    You got the technique down for sure. Great job.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great but that blue emissive part doesn't work for me. Its detracting and hard to tell what its for. Besides that this a win for me
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot duders!
    That blue emissive thingy is the targeting crosshair. Should just make a sci-fi screen in photoshop, and dump it on the screen.