Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Banana Farm Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone,

After been quite absent from the boards in recent months mainly due to the birth of my second child and starting Ubisoft Reflections. I'm finally ready to get back into the swing of things. This is the latest environment that I'm working on and it's based on a piece of concept art by Victor Jonsson. It's still super early, but I wanted to start posting right from the start so people can hopefully learn from it and realise that environments don't necessarily look great from the start.

Goals of the project:

- Improve at asset creation and texture work in general

- Tackle some foliage. I personally think this is one of my weaknesses

- Take on feedback and suggestions earlier rather than waiting till I’m 90% finished

- Further improve on my CryEngine knowledge

As always feedback and crit is welcome and thank you for your time

Current Progress: Currently on blocking out the environment. Road and mountain are temp CryEngine assets at the moment and will be replaced.

BananaFarm_0008.JPG

Concept Art By Victor Jonsson

mwiPJsT.jpg

Replies

• Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Victor Jonsson has some really awesome concepts. Looking forward to seeing this one brought to life in CryEngine : D
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funny enough that victor probably drew that concept while being at crytek :D

awesome concept and your blockout looks solid. terrain and such look sufficent enough for now, the only thing that stands out to me right now is that the fov in the concept art was probably more narrow and the camera further back, but that's just presentation!

looking forward to your work on this! and congrats on child #2 and the new job!
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    great execution of the block out so far can't wait to see more.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dudealan2001 & @Scizz Thanks guys, hopefully I won't disappoint.

@e-freak Haha I knew he was at Crytek, but it never occurred to me that the concept might have been from Crysis. Totally agree about the FOV and camera position, it's something that I'm looking to correct asap. Actually you may be an excellent person to ask about this, do you know of anyway of exporting a camera from max and matching it in CryEngine because I've got the Camera pretty much spot on in max. (See Image Below)

SYmPyR6.jpg
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    Great blockout so far, Neil. Looking forward to seeing this develop and to learn more about cryengine.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Solid so far. I love anything with bananas on it so I'll be watching :)
    One thing that I liked about the concept is that the dirt road leads into the ocean, are you going to keep that in yours?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome blockout so far. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom wrote: »
    do you know of anyway of exporting a camera from max and matching it in CryEngine because I've got the Camera pretty much spot on in max. (See Image Below)

yeah there is, but its been a while since i've done it - i will investigate :)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I figured out what the export between MAX and CryEngine is for Cameras - I'm gonna make a proper write-up of this at some point but this might be helpful for you already:

The CryEngine expects Collada files to not use a unified Matrix and to have FOV values in y-FOV (the height of your screen is important, not the width).

So before exporting anything, go to your camera profile in max and switch the field of view to vertical:
    KqcpJhV.gif

You might also want to change your aspect ratio to 16:9 (any resolution) in the render settings!

Now you get to Export your Collada. Select the camera, and go to Export Selected - Collada DAE:
    tCGFG6U.gif

When you import this into CryEngine's Trackview it will now already produce correct Translation and Rotation, but you will miss FOV. You can now do two things, depending if you need animation or not.

To import to Trackview, create a camera with the same name as the Camera in MAX in CryEngine. Add that Camera to a Trackview Sequence and right click on the Node in Trackview and click: Load from Collada File.

If not - just go to the roll-up bar in MAX and copy and paste the y-FOV value into an FOV key in Trackview. This is WAY easier than what I'm about to propose :)

Option Nr. 2 requires you to do a bit of XML hacking. CryEngine expects the FOV information to come after the Translation information in the Collada File so here's how it goes: Max doesn't format XML to nice it seems, so i usually do a small hack: I rename the new collada to .xml and open it in internet explorer, where I click on the text and display source code.

This gives a nicely formatted version of the Collada file which I then Copy and Paste into a new file (that ends on .dae).
    The collada file starts with a header wrapped in the <asset> tag, which we can ignore.

Next up comes the camera's animation wrapped in an <animation> tag with id and name of the camera. Inside of the first animation tag are now <animation> tags for the individual channels that are keyed. Select the entire first <animation> tag (from <animation> till </animation>) which should contain 'Camera1-lib-yfov-animation-input' and similar <source> nodes.

Cut that and go to the very end of the main animation tag of the camera itself, which should be two </animation> tags and paste inbetween those two the text you just cut. Now the FOV information is at the end of the camera's animation node.

Last but not least: search for <instance_camera url="#"/> and add your camera in there so it looks like this: <instance_camera url="#Camera1-lib"/>
    Now further up in the DAE file should be a line <library_cameras> with an empty <camera id="" name="">. Here you fill in: <camera id="Camera1-lib" name="Camera1Mesh">. "Camera1" being your Camera Name in all of these. What this does is just connecting the Camera's FOV values with the correct conversion from Max Render Settings'.

Save the DAE, import and you should have beautiful FOV keys in Trackview!

I suppose these last steps could be automated and I will see if I can do something in the future about it, but I hope it will help you getting your cameras in from Max for now!
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Solid Blockout Grimm, got my eye on this one. Thanks for the mini tut e-freak I look forward to the in depth version ;)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Looking awesome, Blockout looks pretty 1on1 ~, can't wait for more :)
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Sorry that it's taken me so long to reply to this thread. Almost a year in fact :O. Wow, how time goes so quickly these days.

Anyway I just wanted to let you know that this project is still alive but it's had some complications over the last year that had forced me too put it aside and concentrate on different ventures.

This was mainly due to getting CryEngine working on both my home computer and work computer. Ubisoft has so many network ports blocked that it makes CryEngine unusable.

I've finally given up on CryEngine for this project and switched over to UDK, so expect this thread to become more active again.

Anyway here is what I've got so far. It's pretty much as I left it but I've refined the blockout a bit and added average colours to everything to get an overall feel. I'm about done with the blockout now so I'm looking forward to getting started with the asset creation.

As always feedback and crit is welcomed.

BananaFarm_0008.JPG
  • silver_hoodlum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    u still need to spend a some stresful days to sort out a bit the lighting, also keep adding detail. Good progress though