Home Technical Talk

having trouble with texture maps in zbrush

robertg
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
robertg polycounter lvl 3
so iv been trying to teach myself about uv's, retopology, and textures over the past week. i first created my high poly in zbrush, then exported my lowest subdiv to max where i unwrapped it and made uv sheets, i then brought the model back into zbrush. Im now stuck though, when i try to produce any form of map it produces what looks like a map of the lowest sub div? im not really sure what other information would be helpful at this point but ill include some pics to help clarify my issue

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

texture map zbrush is producing (iv also tried a displacement map, and the same issue seems to occur)

color.jpg

and a render of the high poly model

skin.jpg

Replies

• robertg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so iv looked around at a couple other threads in this section and found a mention of 3ds max sometimes separating all of the uv faces when exporting too zbrush? this sounds like it might be my problem, but im not sure how i might fix it? ill try re-importing the model from 3ds again and see if that fixes the prob
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    robertg wrote: »
    so iv looked around at a couple other threads in this section and found a mention of 3ds max sometimes separating all of the uv faces when exporting too zbrush? this sounds like it might be my problem, but im not sure how i might fix it? ill try re-importing the model from 3ds again and see if that fixes the prob
    Yup. Use goz instead
  • robertg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    using goz helped a bit, now it seems that some of the the faces are displaying correctly, but other still seem pixelated or detached.

optimize points order sounds promising but it requires the model to have no subdivisions. i tried to just delete the lower sub divs and then optimize the points order but my computer freezes up, its possible that i could maybe just wait it out, but then my computer will crash while trying to reconstruct the subdivisions.

anymore suggestions welcome

oh and here is the texture map that z brush produced after using goz (its a little better)
    col%202.jpg
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    An alternative option is to export your models to xnormal and bake there
  • YdoUwant2know
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YdoUwant2know polycounter lvl 7
    I've seen this a few times before... If memory serves, you should be able to fix it with:

Tools > UV Map > Cycle UV

You may have to click it a few times before its right. (trial and error)
  • robertg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i deleted one of the high sub divs and tried the optimize points order suggestion, it said it went from 55% efficiency to 88%. The texture however still came out crazy.

i also tried cycle uv which seemed to help a bit but, once again, the texture is still comming out wrong

iv also now noticed that when i use the morph uv on the high poly with my uv maps applied all the faces seem to detach and then rearrange themselevs on my uv map. iv also noticed that when i hit morph uv on my imported low poly mesh (the one that i used to make my uv map) the faces seem to act properly. as in they all seem to remain attached while they unfold and flatten... hopefully that makes sense

anyhow Im still at loss as to what iv done wrong, so any more help is still greatly appreciated, and thanks again for all the help you guys have been so far

*edit* ok so since it seems like the mesh im importing isnt the problem, iv tried to just use it as a base and re project all the detail and polypaint onto it. after one reprojection this seems to have solved the error (im just assuming its solved it because morph uv seems to now function properly on the new reprojected mesh) ill report back once iv gotten the new mesh up to my final subdiv (gunna be like 15 mill poly's... should be fun reprojecting that :()
  • robertg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reprojecting details onto the new mesh doesnt seem to work since my computer crashes while projecting the higher sub div levels (i guess that was predictable).

I also gave x normals a try. but when i try to produce a map, i get an error that says the mesh i put in the high poly input is void or non existent... could that error and the trouble im having be related?
  • robertg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id be happy to share the files, but I'm not really sure of any convenient way to transfer the scene itself, even compressed its over 250 mb. the obj's are easy enough though.

here are the obj's https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/170692477/dino.zip

i was also only able to export an obj of my mesh at its lowest sub div, when I tried to create an obj at its highest subdiv (about 15 million) it gave me an error. is this normal?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    robertg wrote: »
    reprojecting details onto the new mesh doesnt seem to work since my computer crashes while projecting the higher sub div levels (i guess that was predictable).

I also gave x normals a try. but when i try to produce a map, i get an error that says the mesh i put in the high poly input is void or non existent... could that error and the trouble im having be related?

Delete its uvs and polygroups. If that fails too, then decimate it for a new mesh.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    There's no need to copy UVs with UV master, importing a new set automatically updates them as long as the vertex order doesn't change (and if that was the case, UV Master's copying would be off the table as well).

Only the lowest subdivision mesh needs UVs, so it would be well within the stable zone to reapply UVs. The sculpt itself wont need UVs if you're baking the polypaint in xnormal.

Are you having problems with body uv.OBJ as well?
  • robertg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    throneinc - i haven't tried using zbrush to actually make uv's ,though maybe its time i give that a try. im still a little confused though i have made seperate uv's inside of 3ds max, which appear to be ok when i use zbrushes morph uv on them, but once i delete the uv's from my sculpted mesh and paste these new uv's the same detached face problem seems to persist.
  • robertg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryid- sooo xnormals seems to be working!!!! after deleting the uv's and re-exporting it into xnormals i have succesfully baked out a normal map (that atleast at first glance seems to be correct)

i cant say thank you enough to both of you guys, you were a huge help and id still be completely lost without your input. i owe both of you big time!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If the vertex order is unchanged, there is no reprojection involved. The mesh and UVs will just update instantly no differently than if any of the changes were made with a sculpting brush.