Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Zerg hive environment / shader work

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
What's up Polycount? I've been working on this Starcraft inspired environment based on a concept by Mr Jack. My goal was to create as much movement through the use of materials as possible, I was tired of building static environments and wanted to try some new techniques. I've been staring at this so long I'd love some feedback from the PC community. So far on the list of fixes:

1) Tweak the specular highlights on some of the eggs.
2) Make the teeth/mouth orifice move
4) Eyes on the main zerg need fixed.
3) Stretch goal - add a Terran marine trudging through to help establish scale.

What do you think?

Video on Vimeo - http://vimeo.com/71209357

Zerg_Comp.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks really awesome! I don't understand what's happening in the one really large egg though. It looks sorta like a strange comic book shadow. I think it would be cool if there was a lot of slim and stuff in there too. Dripping stuff and little streams of oozing slime. You could make a lot of movement with that, and make the ground not so dry looking.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    looking awesome dude! one thing about the video once you finish this scene would be nice to get some ambient sounds in there so its not silent would crank up the mood to this scene.
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Nice atmosphere, i like the softness of your scene!
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    really looking good man
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    love it :) Maybe put some 'open eggs' in there as well?
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

BradMyers82 - I re-worked the murky look to the egg "fluid" inside so it shows up better. I also gave the critter inside a bit more movement. Slime I'll have to figure out how to do... Oh, and I'm adding some creep effects to the ground in areas so it looks a bit more alive and wet.

ae. - Totally!
    Boyo, oxblood - thanks!
    Rhoutermans - As soon as I placed the eggs I wondered what it would be like to pop one ;)

I'll post an update soon. I just found out tonight the free Vimeo account only let's you do one HD movie per week.
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    love it it would be great to see in distance some zerg units
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated! I'm going to have to call this one done for now and shelve it, I think I need to switch gears and work on something totally different. I'd still love feedback if anybody has it though!

New video, moar sound, moar wet, moar pulsing!

http://vimeo.com/71786974

CavernScreenshot.jpg
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Needs vert/volume fog on floor.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelpatron, what do you mean by vert/volume fog? Vert as in vertex?
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    I'd LOVE to see a breakdown of how you put this together, the whole thing looks really seamless. Fantastic work! One issue I take is with the fog you have in the tunnel; you can see where the sheets intersect with the walls. You should use a depth-biased alpha node to fade out the fog where it meets solid geo. Great fog resource: http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-ue3-fog/ (DBA is about 3/4 of the way down the page)
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words KartoonHead! I actually am using depth biased alpha on both the fog cards and on the ground fog (so it doesn't clip into the eggs). I think maybe what you're seeing is the silhouette of the walls looking a bit too stark with fog right behind it? Maybe I can finesse the placement of the fog sheets so they always happen in front of a silhouette change. Is there anything in specific you'd like to see a breakdown of?
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    This looks fantastic, Harbinger. Lovely stylised feel to it! This deserves a spotlight in my opinion.

Again, I'd love to seee a breakdown of the scene. Specifically how you did the eggs blending into the terrain, and some material examples! :D
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work :) Really really cool work!
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    Harbinger wrote: »
    Pixelpatron, what do you mean by vert/volume fog? Vert as in vertex?
    I think he means vert as in vertical. he's talking about this effect dry ice type effect
    It's going to either look spooky or like an 80's music video :poly121:

255017-bigthumbnail.jpg
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

tadpole3159 - I do have some fog rolling into the ground like that pic, a little more subtle though. I didn't want to make it look like Scooby Doo :)

PogoP - Nothing fancy for blending the eggs and ground. I relied on AO and lighting to blend the transitions. The rest was carefully sculpting in Zbrush. Spotlight? I'm flattered!

Chrisradsby - Thanks!!

My general workflow was to set up the concept art both in Maya and in UDK and match my camera position and FOV to somewhat match the painting. I did some of this type of work back in my film days and it was fun to dust off those skills. Translating the concept art to 3D meant pushing the FOV quite a bit. Then I just placed proxy elements for the walls and eggs and some of the other key elements until everything matched.

Here's a shot of the zbrush sculpt for the main area:

Zerg_CavernSculpt.jpg

Thankfully I didn't have to go too crazy with detail as I used a couple of detail maps tiled across the mesh and blended them with vertex painting.

The eggs were the main challenge of this piece. I ended up using 3 different base meshes and got all of the variation I needed with a ton of material instancing, scaling and rotating. The biggest challenge was figuring out how to get the different larvae swimming inside. Each egg was UV'd mainly as one big piece with the center of the UV's being the translucent area. This would allow me to easily manipulate the UV's in my materials to get the desired "swimming" movements.

Zerg_EggUVs.jpg

Here's a chunk of the master material for my eggs:

Zerg_EggSwimUV.jpg

I created a custom material function that does circular UV motion. It ended up being very powerful, I can get anything from figure 8's to slow lazy back and forth movements to circles, all based on the parameters I feed into it.

All of that drove a custom flipbook texture of the larvae themselves. This was a blast to do! I dusted off a lot of old skills that I haven't used in a long time. Each version was quickly sculpted, rigged and animated in Maya. Each one had 64 frames and I rendered them using a zdepth shader, so that parts looked like they were deeper in the fluid of the eggs. I packed three variations into the RGB channels and used some switch parameters to control which one was used:

Zerg_LarvaFB.jpg

Finally, the other main key to the eggs was the vertex deformation work. I ended up using a type of squash and stretch movement so the eggs retained volume, mixed in with a little bit of "jiggle". That chunk of the shader looks like this:

Zerg_SquashStretchWPO.jpg

If any of that was unclear let me know!
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Harbinger wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words KartoonHead! I actually am using depth biased alpha on both the fog cards and on the ground fog (so it doesn't clip into the eggs). I think maybe what you're seeing is the silhouette of the walls looking a bit too stark with fog right behind it?
    You're quite right there! I should have looked harder! I love the effort you went to getting those little critters swimming around inside the eggs, it really paid off. Many would have just been happy with a nice looking egg and some jiggly vertex deformation.