UPDATE: I stopped working on this back in March, but decided to pick it up again for my portfolio. I rebuilt just about everything, including new textures.
After getting some great feedback on my portfolio(still looking
for input), I decided to try and bust out a scene before Sunday. If I'm not 100% done by then, that's alright, but I'm aiming to get as much of the main stuff done as possible.
My goal is to utilize a lot of tiling textures for this and vertex paint everything. Nothing too complex as far as models go right now, but after GDC I may revisit some parts.
Here are some refs I'm following:
I'm following the layout of the concept the most, but with some details from the two photographs.
- Finish tiling textures for everything (the roof mesh is UVed, because I baked down the normals for the panels)
- Get more foliage done(already have a few things)
- Small props: mattress, beer bottles, glass shards, broken concrete/wood, wires,
- Graffiti decals
- Vertex paint the walls, ground, and roof
- Have a tiling alpha that moves through the UV space of the roof texture, so I can reuse the same mesh and get different holes
- DX11 tessellation on some of the textures
- I would like to rebuild a portion of the UDK vertex wind shader, so there's some movement for the plants, especially the ones outside, but that's the last thing on my mind right now