Home General Discussion

VFX in Los Angeles – 100 hour weeks & homeless

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/vfx-in-los-angeles-100-hour-weeks-homeless/
Meet “Victor”

Victor is in his twenties, just starting out in the business. His work already has almost 2 billion views on YouTube and it has appeared on major network TV shows. A lot of the work is invisible, done under strict non-disclosure agreements for actors and musicians who don’t want you to know that any digital work has been done. He is passionate about the work, has given up a lot to become a part of the visual effects industry, but that passion has had a price.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    its a sad story, but it really seems like he's doing this all wrong. He had a roof over his head while living with the parents, but instead of finding a job first and then moving out he decided to go out on a whim and to no suprise got burned.

When you're desperate you will take shit jobs, the trouble there is that it becomes a vicious cycle that is hard to get out of
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Victor sounds like a fucking idiot.

VFX isn't THAT fun.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    > Victor’s annual income is under $10,000

so much for being a c r e a t i v e p r o f e s s i o n a l instead of working for ikea or fulltiming at 7/11 for that matter
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    seriously. I made more money for less hours working retail at Fred Meyer in Seattle. I can understand the desire to be successful but if you're working 100 hours a week and homeless that isn't really successful now is it?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    facepalm - seems like 9 times out of 10 the "move first, get job later" approach always ends in poverty or damn near close.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    what the fuck. seems like a sob story to me, if hes not being paid properly, why continue to do that VFX job and not even get a normal job?

maybe im jaded but if I was ever asked to work a 100 hour week and was making less than 150g+ a year I simply would refuse and tell them there was no way in hell im doing that.

the part that made me lose pretty much all interest was actually where he said the 1st hostle sucked. surrounded by a bunch of international travelers having a good time, with artists and musicians being some of the coolest cats around............makes me think this guy has a hard time fitting in personality wise. checking out after one night is pretty brute, if I was living in poverty I sure as fuck would want my nights to be filled with all sorts of zany adventures and debautchery, which a place like that could have been amazing.

don't get me wrong, I find the situation super shitty and horrible, but if you are going to subject yourself to something like that, then I cant have sympathy if you keep putting yourself in shitty situations.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with the point the article is trying to make, but it's a terrible article and a lot of it doesn't add up. Or this guy is a complete moron.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    So this guy fears going public, but some other guy leaks NSA secrets and gives his real name? If you want a revolution, you need to have a face to it.

He goes to a for-profit school, he gets shit jobs, expects to make 100k a year for essentially cleaning up rocks in background plates, and gets in a housing scam. Sounds like a dumbass to me.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    First of all I don't support exploitation of young people. I saw similar outragious anecdotes in Toronto's animation industry where studios hire 4-year university grads for full time unpaid "intern" positions (dig up canadiananimationresources site's archives).

But I can understand why this guy did what he did. No career support or direction where you live in Nowhereville. No insider network to refer you to studio gigs so you can work remote. So instead of waiting for nothing you take destiny in your hands and go where the actions is.

I mean you can still be a victim of a crime even after you land your dream job like that Pixar artist who got stabbed in a holdup years ago. Or, a studio undos your life thru a sudden layoff.

Do your due deligence, yes. But paying your dues might involve submitting yourself in uncomfortable living situations.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I hate to say it, but Victor is what is wrong with the industry. Some newly minted grad goes, "Oh boy! I get to work in Hollywood!" and takes whatever low paying abusive job they can get but they think it is putting in their dues. They need to say, "No thanks, I am worth more than this job is being paid. I respect myself and my health too much. Take your low paying job and shove it up your ass."

Paying your dues doesn't mean to have to be treated with less respect than a common street whore. Paying your dues means you may have to start off cleaning up textures, Unwrapping, painting out trees, lighting the same boring 2pm daylit scene over and over again. Paying your dues DOES NOT mean you go without food or a place to live.

No one put a gun to this kid's head and make him take that job. No one made him stay in LA rather than moving back home. At some point, I stop feeling sorry for him since he kept doing it to himself.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    The insanity of it all is that no one really wants to change the system by saying "no" to the higher ups. We all have this idea that someone else is waiting to jump in and take our spot in this industry, and while that may be true... if everyone just quit when faced with retarded 100 hour work weeks then it would put the ball in our court as artists and make the heads of the big studios think twice when their new blockbuster has terrible vfx because all they can find to do the work is students and first year grads.

(No offense to student work but I know back when I was a student I wouldn't have been able to produce the quality of work in the timeframe needed for triple A projects.)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    All I read in this thread is "I only meet successful students that made it, so this guys must be a dumbass..."

Seriously, what hell, is it Polycount Angst Thread day, and I forgot?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    All I read in this thread is "I only meet successful students that made it, so this guys must be a dumbass..."

Where do you get that from? It's the 21st century version of the nieve young hopefull moving to Hollywood hoping to become a star only to fall into ruin.

I don't personally know anyone that pulled off the move first and find success route. If you honestly think being local is such a huge advantage, just pretend you're local, flying yourself out for the interview is cheaper in the long run.
  • WDewel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WDewel polycounter lvl 7
    Oh, Victor. So many mixed feelings. I wish more artists respected themselves and their time more. If you don't, no one will.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

It's not that, it's that the vfx industry has a lot of problems right now that aren't being fixed by the artists who have the power to do so.

This guy got skrewd over and there are a lot of parties responsible. To say it's all his fault is going a bit far imo. But obviously he holds some of the blame.

I actually know a lot of friends who moved to CA before finding a job, but they had connections and were able to crash on a friends couch until they made it into the industry. I notice a lot of the people that I know would be willing to let me stay with them at their places if I were to pack up and move out there. It seems to be somewhat of a normal thing. If he went to a for profit school then he's gotta have at least some classmates who are willing to help out.

Maybe this guy had a plan and it all went to shit.. I don't know. But I do know that in this world you gotta have a back up for your back up plan because shit happens.
  • Mr Whippy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    Guy takes risk going for dream job, risk kinda doesn't pay off.

He must really like retouching video to do all that for it though... and must really want to be paid well for it to go through all that effort for a job.

So surely you can't complain at the risks of chasing the dream, if that is indeed his dream?
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    I feel sorry that there are places that'll take advantage of people like this, however he kinda did it to himself....

If he is working such stupid hours for terrible pay the guy should of looked for a retail/bar/restaurant job etc to support himself in LA then try and get some more VFX work.

Seems like he didn't know how to look after himself in the real world, really sucks that nobody would help him... but then again this world is full of people from less fortunate beginnings than our dear Victor.
  • iamvictor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »

I am Victor. I want the world to know I have left the situation but with dwindling options at hand. I have a few days out until I don't know what will happen or where I will go.

Nathan