Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted Textures - Harsh Critiques needed

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
OnionCake polycounter lvl 6
Hey Polycounters,

I'm trying to get some handpainted textures up to snuff, and would love some harsh critiques. I'm trying hard, but lack some skill. Hopefully I can get a push in the right direction from the ridiculous talent around here.

Here we go.

Handpainted wood:
Working at 2048x1024, then deressing to 256x512 with some editing. I think the bolts are far too small, and the boards need a bit more life (wear/tear).

2048:
tilingWood_2048.jpg
512:
tilingWood_512.jpg
512 Tiled 4x:
tilingWood_512_4wayTiled.jpg

Replies

• KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Hey OnionCake!
    I am a sucker for hand painted textures and I think up close it looks great. I don't have any harsh critique because I am a beginner myself but I can point out what I noticed right away and that is that the texture does not successfully tile vertically. If this wood was being used for bridges or a walk way, where you would only tile it horizontally, then it would work pretty well. But if you did want to tile it vertically then you run into this weird look happening where there is a line running horizontally. I quickly adjusted your texture to show how it might tile both horizontal and vertical. My adjustment tiles pretty horribly but hopefully it shows you a direction to head in to get it tiling both directions if you want. Personally though I think there is nothing wrong with having a wood walk way texture that just tiles horizontally :)

example01.jpg

And here is how it would tile vertically and horizontally.

example02p.jpg

I look forward to more of your handpainted textures :D
  • OnionCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I was really only concerned with this wood tiling in the sideways. It would definitely need a few more boards going vertically to tile in both ways successfully.

So, I was trying to experiment with just starting at 512, and leaving it there. Protip: Even with handpainted textures, start large and scale down, then do the required sharpening and cleaning up. Working at 512 is super irritating, and it's ridiculously hard to get a solid line.

This definitely doesn't tile well. I need to paint out the three bigger stones, and and add in smaller pebbles/dirt. It's also completely grayscale because I was having troubles with color.

Some sort of shitty cobblestone or something:
    handpainted_cobblestoneTiled.jpg

Tiled 3x:
    handpainted_cobblestoneTiledx4.jpg

Would love feedback.
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    needs color variation for sure, But I think it looks mostly good.

The cracks are a bit sharp. You have very fine tiny details and the rest of the rocks are mostly flat. It doesn't look bad but it sort of irritates the eye. I would augment the cracks or add some more medium size form shifts on the faces of the stones.

I also think using a largish soft brush to outline the forms some more and give it a little bit more depth would also help.
  • deutschbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deutschbag polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good! I guess my critique would be the same as that of the others on the thread. The planks need color and value variation. Same with the rocks, some very subtle hue shifts do wonders.
    i'm also not a fan of the base color of the planks.

ALso with the rocks, make sure to imply some depth variation. Some rocks sticking out higher then others and so on.

The rendering itself is pretty good. There is nice think-to-thick rhythm in your cracks.

In the tiling of the rocks, there is one particularly large rock that makes the tiling a bit too obvious. Scale that one down.

Other than that, keep em coming!
  • OnionCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies! I'll definitely keep those in mind, and go back to rework the textures already uploaded. :]

Each frame is 30min, which makes this.. 2.5hours. I'm not satisfied with that time at all.

I feel like this started out really well, then sort of degraded. Oh, I guess I should also say this is a WIP. The other two were finished, other than suggestions I got from people. They'll still get edited, but this guy still needs a ton of work before I get any real finalizing.

Process:
    handpainted_cliffFace.gif

1024:
    handpainted_cliffFace_1024.jpg

Tiled 4k:
    (I wouldn't ever actually tile it this much.)
    handpainted_cliffFace_2x.jpg
  • sjuskadur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sjuskadur polycounter lvl 7
    Wood looks good, but I agree some color variation might help quite a bit. Some reds to not make it as yellow. Saturation variation might also help. When it gets into shadows make the colors more neutral and in the light make it more saturated.

With the last one, It neds quite a bit of work, there should not be a untouched surface and the shapes are not working well together along with the perspective is kind of all over the place. I would reccommend that you sculpt some of those shapes on a a flat plane (The whole texture even) Bake out the AO and then use the AO as the base for your texture, then you have the perspective all correct.

good luck