Home Technical Talk

most important 3ds shortcuts ?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
I guess this is a pretty lazy question but i thought i save some time.

I do alot of lowpoly modelling in 3dsmax, the problem is that it goes way to slow. I was wondering if anyone know the shortcuts for the most common commands, like extrude,cut,weld and so on.

Also i have tryed the rappatools plugin. Seems to have alot of useful shortcuts but what a mess !. tutorials ?

Anyone have a good lowpoly custom ribbon config save that i could use ?

thanks // Jimmy

Replies

• xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    for shortcuts:
    at least get the numbers 1 to 5 for the different selection modes
    and for instant undo (like, you are moving one vert, but see t hat you didnt want to do that, just immediatly, while still holding the left mouse bottun, click right)
    for everything else why dont you google the shortcut list?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    One thing I found useful was to make a custom quad menu with nothin in it, swap it with the default one, and then every time I was doing something more than a couple of times I would stick it in the quad menu. It sped things up quite a bit!

basics like the numbers for sub objects, q,w,e,r for select and transforms, ctrl-v for duplicate, h for select by name/outliner, that stuff can be read from the keylist as suggested.

Have fun!
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    how can i change the quad menu ? , that whould be really good, To bad it doesnt respond fast enought, even if its just a half second here and there its still very annoying. I have rappa tools and a maya spacebat plugin. The spacebar plugin works really well, seems strange to me that thw quad meny in max is si slow... thanks alot.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    is there a shortcut for going in and out in edit mode?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I've never noticed the quadmenu to be slow personally, but then I don't use maya so maybe I'm not used to the blazing speed of the hotbox thing. :)

To change quads, go to customize user interface, and look in the quads tab. You can set your own keys from the keyboard tab, and also dump out the current key list as a text file if you want a reference sheet.

Good luck!

p.s. you can probably set a keyboard shortcut to open the customize menu, have a look in there.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    usually the quad is a little faster than the hotbox for me. could be your computer.

shift-x is one of my favourite hotkeys. it enables/disables edge snapping in editable poly objects. Really damn handy.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    most important 3ds shortcuts ?
    The ones you make yourself. =P

Seriously, take some time set it up how it makes sense for you and save out the .kbd file and stick it some place accessible, like your dropbox that way you can always access it from wherever you are.

I have Shift-C bound to walk through mode
    ] increases step size (camera speed)
    [ decreases step size (camera speed)
    WASD for camera movement while its on.

A for angle snap toggle
    F for focus (I think default for max is z?)
    Q toggle move between local and view
    W toggle rotation between local and view
    E toggle scale between local and view
    alt-a for align
    shift-a quick align
    Alt-X Display as see-through toggle
    Ctrl-X Expert Mode Toggle (I have this teamed up with another script I wrote that toggle off the bottom bar too, it also calls up a custom floating toolbar I made, mostly for modeling)
    Ctrl-Shift-S Save incremental (scene00.max, scene01.max, scene02.max ect)

Unwrapping;
    (These are custom scripts a I wrote that flatten everything not just joined edges)
    Ctrl-1 flatten horiz
    Ctrl-2 flatten vert
    Ctrl-3 is flatten horiz and vert, for snapping points together.
    Ctrl-B break, unbound it everywhere else so it works even with KBSO is turned off.

Edit Poly;
    hitting any mode select key (1, 2, 3, ect) will toggle edit sub-object mode on/off.

There are more I can't think of them.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As Vig says, make them yourself. Cutomise - Customise User Interface - Keyboard - then assign a hotkey to a tool.

I keep my most frequently used hotkeys together, so I stay in one corner of the keyboard. Think about the easiest way to frequently switch between the regular tools.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Custom shortcuts ftw! Seriously, the defaults really aren't that great, no matter what your using max for (modeling, unwrapping, rigging, animating, etc.) its not going to have everything you want mapped out.

For me I made it a goal about a year or so ago to be able to work completely independant of the UI (in fullscreen/expert mode) while modeling. Have about 60 custom hotkeys, as well as several scripts that made to combine different actions into single hotkeys based on context too.

On that note, wish max could save hotkeys for plugins/scripts :-/
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks alot guys i will try that. What scripts can you recommend for really getting up speed in low poly and uv mapping ? , i us textools but miss alot of functions there and rappa tools (have hardly tryed it yet)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yea I'm with vig about making my own keys.

Some of my favs as defaults are 1 thur 5 (selection keys), q,w,e,r (switching between move, rotate, etc.)

Alt W (maximize viewport toggle) I use this a lot, and since I used to use Maya, I set it to space bar.

Holding Ctrl is something I use a lot, like Ctrl + Backspace, or ctrl and clicking one of the selection changes.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Is it any shortcut for to switch to editmode? , Like in blender ?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    You can bind a shortcut to put an edit'whatever' modifier, or turnto'whatever'.

Here's a couple I still use a lot.
    [ and ] Open and Close Group
    Ctrl [ and ] Group and Ungroup
    Ctrl F3 to toggle flatshade in viewport
    Alt M - Mirror Modifier
    Alt N - Noise Modifier
    Alt B - Bend Modifier

I should also set some up for Bridge, Quickslice, Insert Vert
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Xenobond wrote: »
    You can bind a shortcut to put an edit'whatever' modifier, or turnto'whatever'.

Here's a couple I still use a lot.
    [ and ] Open and Close Group
    Ctrl [ and ] Group and Ungroup
    Ctrl F3 to toggle flatshade in viewport
    Alt M - Mirror Modifier
    Alt N - Noise Modifier
    Alt B - Bend Modifier

I should also set some up for Bridge, Quickslice, Insert Vert

Okay so where can i fin the "edit poly" in the meny for changing shortcuts ?, I want to set bevel to "b" , front,side,top to "1,3,7 like blender, and add a shortcut for swift loop. i cant find any of theese.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    This thread finaly convinced me to sort out my own shortcuts and ui settings!

Question though: I added the turbosmooth modifier to my quad menu, but I'd like it to be applied with some default settings (namely isoline display and 3 iterations). I'm guessing I change this with edit maxscript, but I have no ides what I'm doing. any ideas?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw wrote: »
    Okay so where can i fin the "edit poly" in the meny for changing shortcuts ?, I want to set bevel to "b" , front,side,top to "1,3,7 like blender, and add a shortcut for swift loop. i cant find any of theese.
    You can find it by changing the category to Editable Poly.

As for swift loop its found under Group:Main UI, Category: PolyTools

You'll also want to read up on the "Keyboard Shortcut Override Toggle" (F1 Search) that trips up a lot of people.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    This thread finaly convinced me to sort out my own shortcuts and ui settings!

Question though: I added the turbosmooth modifier to my quad menu, but I'd like it to be applied with some default settings (namely isoline display and 3 iterations). I'm guessing I change this with edit maxscript, but I have no ides what I'm doing. any ideas?
    I've never found a way to change the default parameters other than for a single session, they reset once max is relaunched.

This is fairly easy to script by turning on the Maxscript Listener then doing the actions and combining it with a header.
    macroScript CustomTurbo 
    Category:" fearian Tools"
    toolTip:"Customized TurboSmooth" 
    buttonText:"Customized TurboSmooth"

(--This applies turbosmooth, turns on isoline display and sets the iterations to 3
        modPanel.addModToSelection (TurboSmooth ()) ui:on
        $.modifiers[#TurboSmooth].isolineDisplay = on 
        $.modifiers[#TurboSmooth].iterations = 3
    )

Copy the code, go MaxScript > New Script, paste it. Hit Ctrl-E and it will show up in Customize User Interface Category " ferian Tools" (Note the space before ferian so it shows up at the top of the category list.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Fantastic! That is perfect Vig, cheers!

Ok, I'm getting into this now! :P is there a neat way to move around the modifier stack in expert mode? mainly just say, switch back down the the edit poly modifier while turbosmooth or bend or whatever is active.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Okay i have change my shortcuts to this, it makes an insane difference when i work, thank you guys !

1,3,7 Front,Side,Top
    A: Attach
    Shift A Angle snap Toggle.
    C Cut
    D: Detach
    SHIFT+ E Extrude
    I : Inset
    L: Swift loop
    M Material editor
    T Targer Weld
    SHIFT + M Make planar
    SHIFT + W weld
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I pretty much migrated everything on the keyboard to the left hand side, for the letter 'G' on over... I figured out the process that worked best for me was to use "Expert mode". This way I figured out what i used the most and set that to a hot key and everything else i used a little more than "hardly ever" to my quads.

Remember you get different quad menus if you hold Ctrl+right click, Alt+right click, and shift+right click.

I added a bunch of additional primitives, lights and propitiatory tool creation to the Alt+right click quad... I use that thing 30 times a day. Good luck
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    I pretty much migrated everything on the keyboard to the left hand side, for the letter 'G' on over... I figured out the process that worked best for me was to use "Expert mode". This way I figured out what i used the most and set that to a hot key and everything else i used a little more than "hardly ever" to my quads.

Remember you get different quad menus if you hold Ctrl+right click, Alt+right click, and shift+right click.

I added a bunch of additional primitives, lights and propitiatory tool creation to the Alt+right click quad... I use that thing 30 times a day. Good luck

Oh actually i didnt know that ;) , I had trouble changing the quad menu, i dont understand how i can change the default Meny to an emty one and fill it with my own commands ? create primitives is something i use all the time So that on a menu whould be awsome., I like to work in xpert mode aswell. Something that i really miss to have on a small menu or something are the smoothing groups panel. Also the select planar option. Any ideas ?
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have it set so I can do all the basic modeling stuff (chamfer, extrude, connect/insert loop, bridge, cut etc) as shortucts with my left hand (CTRL modifier for modeling stuff, alt for aligning, shift for constraints and whatnot), and try to replicate them in Maya to make things seamless. I never use quads or panels or anything, I want everything on shortcuts...

Which reminds me: Vig, what was it you said a while back, something about always keeping the keyboard override thing on to never have to use it and still get to UV shortcuts, or am I getting it wrong? I would love to have a shortcut for Select by Element in the UV Unwrap (preferby as a modifier key instead of as a switch), and I'm guessing the override needs to be on to get access to it.
  • firehawkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, I am really sorry for reviving a thread 2 years old...

I have been searching on the internet for the last few days (many hours and hundred of pages), in hopes of finding a solution to 3dsmax configuration... I found out about draster but its not exactly what i wanted... What i'd want is something similar to game engines availlable out there... right click to rotate, wasd movement, etc...

my question is the following, Mark Dygert wrote that he made custom config to use "WASD" for camera movement... I really need that, but after searching in the customize menu for a while, i was not even able to find out where to add it... IF anyone can figure it out and write back it would be extremely appreciated! :)

Thank you and sorry again for necro-rising this old thread but its the only one i found out that talked about WASD movement for 3ds camera! :)

Have a nice day!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firehawkx wrote: »
    First, I am really sorry for reviving a thread 2 years old...

I have been searching on the internet for the last few days (many hours and hundred of pages), in hopes of finding a solution to 3dsmax configuration... I found out about draster but its not exactly what i wanted... What i'd want is something similar to game engines availlable out there... right click to rotate, wasd movement, etc...

my question is the following, Mark Dygert wrote that he made custom config to use "WASD" for camera movement... I really need that, but after searching in the customize menu for a while, i was not even able to find out where to add it... IF anyone can figure it out and write back it would be extremely appreciated! :)

Thank you and sorry again for necro-rising this old thread but its the only one i found out that talked about WASD movement for 3ds camera! :)

Have a nice day!
    In max it's a separate mode you enter into, called "Walk through Mode" the button is down in the lower right corner, it looks like two little foot prints. By default I think it uses the arrow keys, but I bound it to WASD.
    You can do that by going Main Menu > Customize > Customize UI > Keyboard tab > Group: WalkThrough

Keep in mind this is a sub-mode to max and the main mode of max will have things also bound to these keys so when you turn on WalkThrough mode you should also turn on the "Keyboard Shortcut Override" (In the main toolbar, looks like a key with an up arrow on it) so these sub-mode shortcuts override the main max shortcuts when this mode is active.

If toggling on two things to activate one mode is a bit chaotic (and I think it is) You could just unbind the main max commands that conflict so the only shortcuts that exist are the sub-mode ones. That way they will work no matter what KBSO is set to.

It wouldn't be too hard to write a script that toggles them both on, if you really wanted to get fancy it would issue a callback waiting for the mode to exit and then return the state of KBSO to whatever it was before the mode was triggered. I'm tempted to write it but short on time so I'll add it to the list of things I want to write but don't have time for =P

Also I don't use the button, instead I bound Shift-C to Toggle on Walk Through Mode.
    You find it in the Customize UI menu > Category: All commands > Walk Through Mode.
  • firehawkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW thank you so much for the detailed answer!! I really was not expecting it... especially not as fast! :)

Thanks a lot! I will definitely be using thoses settings!
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    Not sure this has been mentioned yet... but one that seems to dip under the radar is "I"... which will centre the view on your mouse cursor, and then centre your cursor too. Very handy for drawing splines when you need to go out of view.

Ctrl + L will toggle viewport lighting.

Shift + L Will hide the lights in the scene (doesn't affect lighting)

Similarly, Shift + G will hide geometry, Shift + H will hide helpers.

Oh, and in perspective mode... hit Ctrl + C to setup a camera for the view you're in. Pretty handy.

Even more handy, with a camera selected... hitting Ctrl + C will move that camera to the new view. Very handy for doing animations.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave wrote: »
    Not sure this has been mentioned yet... but one that seems to dip under the radar is "I"... which will centre the view on your mouse cursor, and then centre your cursor too. Very handy for drawing splines when you need to go out of view.

Ctrl + L will toggle viewport lighting.

Shift + L Will hide the lights in the scene (doesn't affect lighting)

Similarly, Shift + G will hide geometry, Shift + H will hide helpers.

Oh, and in perspective mode... hit Ctrl + C to setup a camera for the view you're in. Pretty handy.

Even more handy, with a camera selected... hitting Ctrl + C will move that camera to the new view. Very handy for doing animations.
    Oh yea I forgot about i, I use it all the time, its a good one.

As for ctrl+L and Shift+L those would be prefect candidates for a double tap script, where you use the same key but a single tap does one function and a quick double tap does the other.

Single tap L = toggle viewport lighting.
    Double tap L = hides the lights.
    macroscript Doubletap01
    Category:" MyTools"
    toolTip:"Double Tap 01"
    (
        fn checklastClicked = (
            local thisClicked = timeStamp()
            if lastClicked != undefined then (
                if (thisClicked - lastClicked) < 500 do (--adjust this value to shorten or lengthen wait time (in milliseconds)
                    [COLOR=DarkOrange]--insert double tap function here[/COLOR]
                )
                lastClicked = thisClicked
            )
            else (
                [COLOR=DarkOrange]--insert single tap function here[/COLOR]
            )
            OK        
        )

checklastClicked()
    )

After adding whatever you want to the double and single tap, run the script once and you can then bind it to a key in Main Menu > Customize > Customize UI > Keyboard tab.

Create as many as these scripts as you need. Don't forget that you can stack multiple macroscripts in the same .ms file so you only have to run one script the next time you need to install your scripts.

A decent way to figure out what functions you need is to turn on the "maxscript listener recorder" then do whatever it is that you wish to record and check the listener. Not all functions are reported to the listener and some functions show up as "Actionman: 2345", which there is an actual maxscript command for it, with a lot more options so it pays to dig through the maxscript help file and find the actual command.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    big ones for me modelling wise are these (not defaults)

W : select loop
    E : select ring
    X : edge constraint toggle
    shift X : normal constraint toggle

I lightly modify the default quad menu and use that for almost everything else.
    for rigging etc. I have a huge stack of macros and scripts hanging off a toolbar
  • leplatin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leplatin polycounter lvl 5

• airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13

macroscript Doubletap01
    Category:" MyTools"
    toolTip:"Double Tap 01"
    (
        fn checklastClicked = (
            local thisClicked = timeStamp()
            if lastClicked != undefined then (
                if (thisClicked - lastClicked) < 500 do (--adjust this value to shorten or lengthen wait time (in milliseconds)
                    [COLOR=DarkOrange]--insert double tap function here[/COLOR]
                )
                lastClicked = thisClicked
            )
            else (
                [COLOR=DarkOrange]--insert single tap function here[/COLOR]
            )
            OK        
        )

checklastClicked()
    )

The Double tap script....not working for me...max 2017...so did things change in the fuctions since then ?