Home General Discussion

Judge Dredd

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
The first trailer for the new movie is up. I don't have much in the way of familiarity with the source material so I'm not really entirely sure what I'm looking at here. Kind of interested to hear what the fans think of it all.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/21/full-trailer-for-the-new-judge-dredd-movie/
So, uh... does it look good?

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm. could really go either way by the looks of it.

like:
    - keeps his helmet on :)
    - use of the lawgiver's modes, looks cool
    - pretty gritty looking, interesting to see a less shiny version of the world than the last movie

things I dislike:
    - redesign of Megacity 1 into a bunch of big square towers. The halls of justice are just another square building with a neon sign??
    - the uniform redesign. I guess they're trying to imagine it as more realistic but imo they went straight into 'unremarkable' territory. lawmaster also kinda hmm..
    - the transformers/generic modern action movie whippiptywhippitywhippity sound as the lawmasters ride in
    - trailer's inception bwaaaawm..

I guess those last two sound pretty minor but I just hope it doesn't try to copy too much from other sources and has some clout of its own. I guess as a Dredd fan my reaction is cautious optimism, definitely not 'Hells yeah!!'

edit: although gotta say the gunfighty bits look nice and meaty..
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    The new Dredd looks too small for his outfit.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    It reminds me of The Raid except the Judge is doing the movie instead of a bunch of badass Kung Fu artists.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ummmm.... why is the voice acting done by clint eastwood?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm familiar with the source, I have tons of the old 2000ad comics in my room.

Its hard to say from a trailer, but it looks better than the Sylvester crap.

What is up with his bike, they basically did his bike in Batman Dark Knight, why didnt they just copy that with some adjustements.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    Ummmm.... why is the voice acting done by clint eastwood?

because he's part of the inspiration for Judge Dredd
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    the dialogue was pretty atrocious haha but some of the visuals looked cool. Im more excited for the new total recall, the art design looks more unique and stronger, but im not gonna complain about more scifi action movies being out, they are usually pretty enjoyable. except lockout....that was just horrendous
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Karl Urban looks cool as judge dredd. fuck ya! Vibe is different, but it works.

This looks fucking awesome :) Don't miss the yellow, the costume design looks good in relation to everything else, just hope they didn't show the entire movie in that trailer.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    They really gutted the scifi feel to it, I'll wager it has more to do with keeping the cost down then it did with the plot.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Man, the megacity looks like Los Angeles with a giant skyscraper every 20 blocks. It should look packed together! There's supposed to not be a lot of space, not huge open areas of one story buildings! Stallone's movie at least nailed that look down right. Hell, the whole thing practically looks current day. Dredd is SCI FI!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    It reminds me of The Raid except the Judge is doing the movie instead of a bunch of badass Kung Fu artists.

Raid Redemption? Yes I thought so as well.

And Yes he does look small.
    Calabi wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the source, I have tons of the old 2000ad comics in my room.

Its hard to say from a trailer, but it looks better than the Sylvester crap.

What is up with his bike, they basically did his bike in Batman Dark Knight, why didnt they just copy that with some adjustements.

Copy right sir. You know what fans do to people who copy shit from one place to another and make few adjustments thinking of their selves as if they made a smart move right? :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Nitewalkr- I don't understand your copyright angle, he is saying the dark knight's bike looks like the *original* lawmaster in the comics. Designed before the dark knight.

aesir: exactly! space is in short supply, there's only a finite area of build-able space inside the megacity walls so they built miles upwards into the sky (in all kinds of cool domed and angular architecture) Why remove such a cool aspect of the universe..

this is megacity one:
    mega_city_one.jpg

edit:
    was digging around, it looks like this might be a bit of very early concept art for the movie (possibly):
    judge-dredd-jock-concept-jan7.jpg

now *that* is the silhouette of a Judge! I don't mind them adding a bit of body armour to the whole ensemble as it does make sense, but the redesign looks downright plain in comparison to the source
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    I'm a long time fan of the character. I'm not against redesigning elements but how big is that fishbowl on his head ? At least the other Dredd movie did a good job with the helmet.

These fan made suits are better IMO.

judge_minty01.jpg
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I agree that everything looks small or thinned down, like the characters and city went on a diet.

It doesn't look like a hive city, which is what it should be.

I dislike the motorcycle design.

I dislike the uniform.

The story however is a good one and fits within the mythos...having a woman villain in a male dominated law-based world is something for the Tropes thread though.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    rooster wrote: »
    Nitewalkr- I don't understand your copyright angle, he is saying the dark knight's bike looks like the *original* lawmaster in the comics. Designed before the dark knight.

hmm, maybe I misunderstood his straightforward post. =\ I thought he meant that they made the bike in Batman Dark Knight, why not copy that for this movie and make adjustments. :poly122:
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    nathdevlin wrote: »
    These fan made suits are better IMO.

The production for Dredd even got to see one of those suits up close, as they invited the team at Judge Minty to show them, so they could could see what works when you do a faithful comic to reality translation of a judge's uniform.

I am disappointed by the look of Mega City One in the trailer, so I just going to have to hope Urban does Dredd justice in his actions. With so much taking place in Mama's tower, I hope I can forget about MC1 being wrong beyond those walls.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder whether they struggled getting together a decent sized budget given they're going "hard R" with a property that isn't guaranteed box-office gold.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Needs more chin. Ron Perlman chin for instance. Or Robert Z'Dar. Bruce Campbell.

Urban has too much a kissy babyface and he just can't look angry. He kind of looks like a sad toddler that got his candy stolen:
    Dredd-Karl-Urban-2.jpg
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    hmm, maybe I misunderstood his straightforward post. =\ I thought he meant that they made the bike in Batman Dark Knight, why not copy that for this movie and make adjustments. :poly122:

That is basically what I meant. I remember when they made the previous Judge Dredd movie their reason for the bike looking like it did was because they couldnt get the big fat tires to work. Batman made it work and looks most similar to his Lawmaster. Just need to add a new chassis on to the Bat bike.

I dont know about copyrights and whatever. Batman copied the fat tires from Dredd so its all even. I didnt think ideas like that were even copyrightable, change it enough its fine surely.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM"]Judge Dredd - I AM THE LAW - YouTube[/ame]

I like this Dredd.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I actually love the helmet, looks like original style , like brian bollands stuff or summink.
    geezeer playing looks a bit small though

tumblr_ld9i4dCxoQ1qcf9q6o1_500.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Frankly, I think we should all agree that stallone is the best choice of actor for the job, even if the writing for the first movie was a bit silly at times.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    aesir wrote: »
    Frankly, I think we should all agree that stallone is the best choice of actor for the job, even if the writing for the first movie was a bit silly at times.

Oh god you just made me remember Rob Schneider was in Judge Dredd... son of a bitch... I had almost forgot.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. He doesn't fill the suit very well. They should have beefed his chin up a bit. Massive fan of Dredd and 2000AD though so I always expected disappointment from this.

This is how I'd like dredd to look. Old, beat up and badass.
    judge-dredd.jpg?w=590
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I think there is so much uproar over the helmet/chin thing is because its an older design. I`d be like if they put some dalek robots in a modern movie without updating the design a little. Maybe it wouldn't be the best fan service. true fans of the IP would shurly be bummed out. I just think most aesthetics have a shelf life before they become retro,antique,nostalgic,period- etc.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unless they have this guy I don't see the point,

1186773171_36bda66c8d.jpg
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Seeing the trailer and reading all the comments make me wonder why they didn't decide on making the movie fully animated.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    konstruct wrote: »
    I think there is so much uproar over the helmet/chin thing is because its an older design. I`d be like if they put some dalek robots in a modern movie without updating the design a little. Maybe it wouldn't be the best fan service. true fans of the IP would shurly be bummed out. I just think most aesthetics have a shelf life before they become retro,antique,nostalgic,period- etc.

But the thing is. The Helmet and the chin are Dredd's main characteristic. Its what make Dredd, Dredd. He's a big guy. You have to admit that this actor just doesn't look right in the helmet. If I knew nothing about Dredd I might think it looks alright, but then I might not be interested in the movie if I wasn't a fan of Dredd. This film should cater to fans.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with Retro. Everything else in the world is trying to be retro. I wish Movies were brave enough to be more like the movies they constantly remake. Conan remake was terrible...

EDIT: actually. The Dalek design wasn't even updated, all they did was make them fly.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah I don't really agree konstruct, what makes it look wrong to me is the proportions. You can see how they got it right with Stallone- the ratio of visible chin and face to the helmet. Even the rookie who doesn't have the beefy chin looks right in it, but the new one they've thickened up the helmet and his face just looks shrunken into it.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Snader wrote: »
    Needs more chin. Ron Perlman chin for instance. Or Robert Z'Dar. Bruce Campbell.

Urban has too much a kissy babyface and he just can't look angry. He kind of looks like a sad toddler that got his candy stolen:
    Dredd-Karl-Urban-2.jpg

agreed. this sort of reminded me of space balls

gByEt.jpg

either smaller helmet to compensate for the smaller actor or needs a beefy actor like dwayne johnson
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    I wish Movies were brave enough to be more like the movies they constantly remake. Conan remake was terrible...

Except that wasn't a remake of the Schwarzenegger Conan, it was based on the original novels and followed them more closely.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    True. But it was still terrible.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Except that wasn't a remake of the Schwarzenegger Conan, it was based on the original novels and followed them more closely.
    That was how it was marketed, but it didn't really get much closer to Howard's stories than Schwarzenegger's movie did. It was also hampered by lousy writing and poor pacing. The only real positive was that if they ever have another go at it, which seems unlikely, Jason Momoa is actually a pretty good Conan.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Looks bad to me, like a fan film. Footage looks like the stock result from a DSLR, no art direction applied whatsoever, also I'm underwhelmed by the environments. Is it just me or is the the original Dredd movie not actually that bad? I kinda like it.

+1 for Perlman as Dredd next time.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I'm actually a big fan of the Stallone Dredd. It was relatively true to the comic imo.

Things right in the movie:
    Vehicle design and environments
    Costume design
    Over the top 90's macho-ness (Cartoon action)
    Lawgiver having different functions
    ABC Warrior
    Angel Family
    Max Von Sydow

Things wrong with that movie:
    Lawmasters shouldn't fly
    Stallone should have kept the helmet on
    Rob Schneider

"I...AM.....THE LAW!"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM"]Judge Dredd - I AM THE LAW - YouTube[/ame]

Actually, when I first heard about the new version. I was kinda expecting/hoping for an even more "fantastical" movie. With mutants and especially Judge Death. This new version looks like another fantasy concept were the movie makers are trying to make it more "realistic" so that the audience can relate to it. I hate it when they do that!
  • elec²ron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elec²ron polycounter lvl 12
    Loved it. They nailed the setting, dredd was badass, soundtrack was ace.

Really dont get why its flopping in the US, just a damn good action film in a gritty dystopian future.

As a long time fan i have very few complaints.

spotify:album:5YOGQJ9Fvx81q77QtE0VjP
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I don't see what the whole fuss is about. At least it was well done, and the actor kept the helmet on all the time, not to mention the supporting cast did an excellent work on carrying Dredd's coldness around with a more humane side to things.

The visuals also stood out, the entire motif of broken world and drugs being the only moment of happiness, with the movements of colorful visuals and the rest of the drape feeling (without really muting the colors BTW) made it stand out some bit when compared to it's angtsy counter-parts (even Batman used the Cyan suppression Hues with Oranges to make things pop).

I find it strange people are able to makes excuses for Transformers when it butchers everything from storyline, characters, CGI to cunty shots, yet the new Judge Dredd does something abit different while still coming ontop in the 'movie' department in terms of characters and story gets knuckled down on.

It's like having a game that is sound mechanically, yet you shit on just because they graphics don't have Tesselation and the Specular's don't support a Fresnel.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw it a few days ago in 3d and really enjoyed it. I also read that this is actually an independently produced british film, not a big budget hollywood project, which makes it even more impressive.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    well done movie with great cinematography. was kinda dumb that the whole movie existed in one building, not as interesting. very cheesy lines but i guess thats fine since its based off a comic.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I really liked it! Not a super deep movie, but it's better to just have an intentionally simple plot than to try for something deeper and fail miserably.

Dredd acted like Dredd, kept the helmet on, and there were some pretty cool action scenes. Plus using the slo-mo plot device made for some very cool looking scenes.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Saw it last week and thought it was actually really good, I've always enjoyed the Dredd comics. Although a common complaint I'm hearing is that people who aern't familiar with the comics dislike Dredd as they've felt that he's come across as a dick, don't agree with it myself but understandable if you've never heard of him before.

I've also been hearing a lot of comparisons to the indonesian action film The Raid. Fairly similar premise and setting I suppose. Both great action films though.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    "Ma-Ma is not the law.......I am the law"

saw it last week and thought it was fucking awesome. really cool lighting and sets, given it was made for like 45 mill its pretty rad!