Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sci-Fi Assassin / Cyber-Punk Character

I recently started a Games Design course in university, and we have recently been given our first character design project. I'm going to post my progress here, from concepts to final renders, and i welcome any and all crits on my work.

I decided early on that i want to do a Sci-Fi assassin style character, so i guess i will just start with my thumbnails. Some of the male thumbs are totally not sci-fi, so just ignore them...

male_concepts_1.jpg

Female_concepts_1.jpg
Concept_female_2.jpg

I am currently trying to get a feel for the character, and i will be adding detail as i go.

Replies

• Jambokk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a base concept that i am going to work over to test out some designs and idea's. I know the quality isn't amazing, but i will try to get across what i want to achieve with my mediocre painting skills.
    Body_paintover_0.jpg

This is my first paint-over of the base concept:
    Body_paintover_1.jpg
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good, I don't do Character Art - I do Environment Art. But from what I've seen in the games industry poses are something that should be left till after from what I can tell.

When modeling a character the best way to design one is to start off with a front and left T-Pose:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QgGvJiFss_k/TKtZRlwozJI/AAAAAAAAAHw/sbWtLZdXm4A/s1600/SIMON_side_t_pose.jpg

This allows you to define the character with the best amount of detail and give a silhouette to work from.

As for the concepts themselves, put as much work in it as possible! I love Cybergothic styles and I can't wait to see what you have in the future!

- Sythen.
  • Jambokk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for advice Sythen. I'm working on a T-pose at the moment.
    Here's another quick perspective test. Just trying some costume idea's out.
    Body_paintover_2.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Hey there, it looks like you're struggling with the brush you're using - as you say your painting skills are mediocre, why not try designing with a line drawing? Ignore values and lighting, and just do a line drawing with a 100% hard brush in T-Pose stance - then the design is the only thing you will have to focus on.

When you're happy with the design, you can always paint it up later for a better idea of colors and materials you will use on your model.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Pick a reference photo, trace, do your character design. It has been said "Don't prove that you can't draw" by merciful hiring managers :P. Also if you wish to dip into shading, then I forbid you to do so until you get some anatomical references! So far I can't say much about the design itself, keep going; give her some cool gadgets, pockets, tools, etc..