Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Ben Wilson - Environment Artist

I just finished University in Stafford, UK and have been putting together a portfolio. I am looking for some feedback and advice before I start applying for places.

http://benwilson3d.com/

Thanks guys.

Replies

• Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Hey im the guy who asked if you'd put the angel street on polycount before at gradex :p

I really like both environments, no crits here!
  • tlovemark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really dig your layout and how in-depth you get with some of your work. Explaining the process behind your shaders and then demoing them was a way nice touch.

I couldn't find a direct email or anything, though. I think that should get addressed somewhere. Maybe it was there and I couldn't find it, but then that's another issue as well.

I also think that the camera in the Angel Street video should be animated a bit. Just a slight push-in or pan would help I think.

Overall I really liked the layout and you do a great job of showcasing your work.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Nice stuff, only thing I think that might be lacking are low poly wireframes. Oh, and Contact Info, gotta have contact info right there on you main page.
  • Quillisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @skillmister: Hey! Yeah I figured I would brave the feedback for the greater good in the end! Was great meeting you.

@tlovemark and LMP: Thanks for the crits! I somehow completely overlooked my contact info. I added them into the about page and will update the banner when I get home! Will get some wireframe shots and a slow pan too.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a few crits that might help you.

Angel Street: The cyclone fence doesn't look good, almost too shiny and it distracts me from the rest of your scene, which is really good by the way. Also, I would ditch the tree, point being I personal made a million of those in 5 min on Speed Tree and any given studio would say the same thing.

Your AM project, although I think it looks cool and does show more in depth technical skill, I think your portfolio would be better off with another scene or maybe something showcasing individual assets.

Overall, I think you have a very nice easy to understand portfolio.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Great pieces, I think the sites a little over the top as far as how it's like a transformer, But other then that it's nit picky stuff...
  • NoltaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoltaN polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Quillisia, great pieces. Overall I enjoy all of the pieces, each are interesting and pleasing. Your site itself reads fairly well in my opinion although can become slightly cluttered when expanding projects.

The main thing that I noticed that should be fixed is the tiling floor on the angel scene. It has the green channel in the normal map inverted. You should take it into photoshop and fix that up. It will make the ground look much nicer. You should check to make sure none of the other maps are suffering from that issue as well.

What application are you using to bake the normals?
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Lovin the folio, the only crit i can find is the grunge material didn't look too grungy, it just looked like you were upping the saturation and changing the levels a bit on the material. But everything else was just superb, impressive stuff!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really awesome stuff, really like the environments and especially the shader stuff :) Great work.
  • Quillisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words and great crits guys

@DDuckworth: I see what you mean! I will get a better video for that.

@NoltaN: I fixed up the normal maps, looks much better now. I used xNormals for almost all of the normal maps.

@Gannon: Haha yeah it is kinda funky. Please tell me all your thoughts though, even the nit picky and minor things. I wanted to post my portfolio here to get some real objective criticism and make the thing as good as I can!

@polygonfreak: I think I will remove the fence entirely, it definitely doesn't read well; A number of people have said this now. I also removed the tree. Will replace it with a wireframe of the scene soon. I will be adding another scene for sure, however I would like to use another map I have been working on for Torn Banner. It currently isn't in a stage to show though.

Regarding the wireframes. How do I best show them? The wireframes straight from UDK look very confusing, so I was thinking of exporting the level in Max and grabbing a nicer wireframe from that?
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Mice layout and content! It's interesting to see some variations like this. :)
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Quillisia wrote: »

Our work web filter is blocking your website.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I would like to see some consistency in your render/screen shot size, especially since your using Light box. The first image of angel is a good size, I would go with that.