Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STAGE] KOF XII, ENGLAND, AvatarOfShadow

Hello!

Haven't been back to Polycount in a very long time, not since I was in school. Have been busy working in the industry and lost the time to do these amazing challanges websites like Polycount hold. I really couldn't pass this one up though, its too exciting!

Anyways here is the stage I am picking to redo. Its from KOF XII, the UK stage.

I'll have a rough concept of its re-imagining up soon! Good luck to everyone, I can't wait to start seeing posts!

Kofxiiibritainbg.jpg

Latest Update:

2093r03.jpg

Replies

Here is my first concept piece. I think I am going to have to see how things pan out with the poly count on the characters i do and how creative I can be on removing unseen parts to really push the amount of characters back there. I am planning for a few in each bus right now and a decent amount hanging over the front railing.

2a8lt35.jpg

As far as color palette goes I am debating between something dark and scary, ala Left for Dead, or leaving the palette as is and going for a more comedic zombiefest. I would like to hide in a few easter egg jokes within the scene, as funny zombies are the best sort of zombies. I'll probably do a few passes more on the concept and then start playing with color.

UPDATE:

Here is my ref page, I have narrowed it down to some of the pieces that speak strongly to me. Still battling over the overall color and mood a little here.

2ag4zdy.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    definitely loving the red+purple theme! Alot of old fighting game backgrounds had very saturated extreme colours and this fits right in! Plus it's looking quite regal, and at the same time dark! :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it! You might want to look into the use of characters in the stage competition. It makes sense, a lot of fighting games had people in the background but, its probably better to make sure its ok to do now instead of take them out later when they're so important to the theme.
    Thanks so much for the feedback guys!

Im glad you are digging those colors, they're really growing on me now and I'm starting to see the lighting and mood more.

I just posted a question in the Q&A thread pertaining to characters in the stage. Thank so much for bringing that up, I didn't even think of that! ::fingers crossed::
    Update;

Started working on the buses as they are such a huge aspect of the scene. Here's a shot of my low poly so far, I'm going to continue getting it down as far as possible, and then begin to rip it open and smash it up a bit.

535i61.jpg
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    OOh liking the buses! good poly distribution from what I can see too.
    Here is my first blockout, still a ways to go on modeling but it at least let me setup my scene and start to play around with some lighting. I think I am going to have some of the headlights on the buses be on, to bring some light to the foreground and keep the scene overall darker. Im excited to get some textures in there because I think the blood red of the buses are going to read really well within here.

What do you guys think? Would zombies chill here? :)

2zggg9v.jpg
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never seen so many of the same bus number at any one time in London !!
    Nice concept :) Looking forward to the finished piece...
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this idea, but it's not very original, seeing as that is what London is actually like these days ;)

I'd love to see you weave something for the Olympics (2012) into that.
    Bad Spleen wrote: »
    I love this idea, but it's not very original, seeing as that is what London is actually like these days ;)

I'd love to see you weave something for the Olympics (2012) into that.

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Thanks :)
  • Onuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, zombies took over London last Tuesday, didn't you hear?
    Lowpoly Bobby Model;

aeo18p.jpg