Home Technical Talk

Maya Inset

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    This is nice! Someone on Creative Crash posted a minor bug about it losing proportions in some cases, but for what I would normally use this for this works well. Thanks for sharing it.
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated!

- Edges even
    - Works on weird shaped ngons
    - Tool exits on finish
    - Tool grouped in to one Undo

-Robot
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Trying this tomorrow with fingers crossed. A better extrude would be nice as well. Just something that works like any other modeling app other then Maya.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Only if Creative Cash was working. I can't log in.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Oh nice, hadn't noticed it had been posted here, I'm one of the people who whined about n-gons on CC.
    New version seems to work great, thanks! Been wanting a proper Inset in Maya for ages.

IronHawk, what's the extrude missing for you?

EDIT : Oh actually found a bug, seems to kill my undo queue now, can undo the Inset, but never anything before that, anyone else get a similar behavior?
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you like it =)

Fixed The undo problem-
    Maya undo queue is weird.

Version 4.1 only need to replace inset.pyc

Let me know if you have any requests for the tool

Current request list (for the next version)
    -Add to Edit Poly Dropdown menu
    -Fix Image cycle for select / deselect tool
    -Better tool history
    -Bevel option – Better maya extrude(polygon normal, even distances) + this inset
    -Tool options / attribute setup

-Robot
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I still can't log in to DL it from CC... link?
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Lamont wrote: »

Sent you a pm with a link.
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice tool! thank you! I was looking for something like this.
  • shogunato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shogunato polycounter lvl 12
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    fuck me ! this is working sweet so far dude. if it holds up over some further play. where can i donate you 20 bucks !!? !
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Cool stuff! One of them things i've missed from the start using it. Thx (:
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying this tomorrow with fingers crossed. A better extrude would be nice as well. Just something that works like any other modeling app other then Maya.

Added a split vert to the inset so you can get better extrude results - I'll add full extrude eventually
    Let me know if cc is still down, I can send latest version.
    nice tool! thank you! I was looking for something like this.
    Nice tool !
    Cool stuff! One of them things i've missed from the start using it. Thx (:
    fuck me ! this is working sweet so far dude...
    Thanks! Glad you guys like the tool.

...if it holds up over some further play. where can I donate you 20 bucks !!? !
    I added a paypal link to the last CreativeCrash download info if you feel like donating =)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Don't want to hijack your thread, just that also I found another tool for Maya that mimics Max's shell modifier, check this out and see what you think:

http://hugobozzshih007.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-mel-tools-shell-modifier.html
  • McBradd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McBradd polycounter lvl 12
    Donated.

Keep up the great work. I've been whining about this forever...
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donated

be great if you could tweak it so that it remains active until another mode / tool is entered ( with numerical input somewhere too ). currently it drops out of the tool on mouse release ( at tleast that's the behaviour i'm getting. and default selects move / translate )
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't want to hijack your thread, just that also I found another tool for Maya that mimics Max's shell modifier, check this out and see what you think:
    That's awesome, are there more things you would like added like this?
    Donated.

Keep up the great work. I've been whining about this forever...
    Thanks! Let me know if you have any requests or if you need any other tools =)
    donated

be great if you could tweak it so that it remains active until another mode / tool is entered ( with numerical input somewhere too ). currently it drops out of the tool on mouse release ( at tleast that's the behaviour i'm getting. and default selects move / translate )

Thanks! Same as above, if you have any requests let me know.

I did have the tool stay until another tool was entered but people didn't like it. I'll add a command to it so you can use whichever way you want.

Also, Is it alright to have a numerical input similar to the shell tool posted above? (At least for now) I can put that in pretty quick, but node history might take a little while.

Thanks again!

Robot
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can do without history personally. just a simple input for if you wanna get anal about applying the same inset to other faces somewhere down the line. but having the option to let the tool remain active is a must. make inset. tumble about the view. second guess yourself for a bit. tweak. carry on
  • abnoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimics 3DStudio inset

Message me / post here if you find any bugs.

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/modeling/poly-tools/c/maya-inset-tool

-Robot

RObotG fantastic script I love it! I tried it on windows is great. However I cannot figure out how to install this on Linux. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Darrell
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RObotG fantastic script I love it! I tried it on windows is great. However I cannot figure out how to install this on Linux. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Darrell

Hmm...

I'm not sure - haven't tried it yet.

Try:
    insetcmd.py here:
    ~/maya/<version>/scripts

inset.pyc here:
    ../files/lib/python2.4/site-packages/maya/

If that doesn't work let me know.
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    be great if you could tweak it so that it remains active until another mode / tool is entered ( with numerical input somewhere too ).

In the newest version you can specify exact distance and if you want the tool to exit

inset -d 1.5
    // Insets faces 1.5 units

or inset -ax 0
    //Starts tool and remains active until manually exited

Working on the other stuff still...
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    can anyone please put it on dropbox or something?
    I can't register on that site for some reason, and I really need this script, for the love of god!!! :D
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll get an alternate dl tonight, check back later / tomorrow
  • ibarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter polycounter lvl 8
    can anyone please put it on dropbox or something?
    I can't register on that site for some reason, and I really need this script, for the love of god!!! :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4593901/Maya.Inset.030711.zip
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is the behaviour for inset -ax 0 i'm getting the intended : enter the tool. it remains active after inset. but the next clickDrag creates another inset. etc ?

also. the cursor is a finger pointer now ? ( as opposed to the 4 way arrows from before )

it would be great if the effect was to : enter the tool. middle mouse drag or whatever. but the editing nature of that remains active until another mode or tool is selected. so. not creating inset after inset. but having that initial inset editable until the tool is dropped. is this possible ?

in any case man. raw as it is it's still a VERY much needed addition to maya's modelling toolset
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see someone posted dropbox let me know if you still need a dl link

is the behaviour for inset -ax 0 i'm getting the intended : enter the tool. it remains active after inset. but the next clickDrag creates another inset. etc ?

also. the cursor is a finger pointer now ? ( as opposed to the 4 way arrows from before )

it would be great if the effect was to : enter the tool. middle mouse drag or whatever. but the editing nature of that remains active until another mode or tool is selected. so. not creating inset after inset. but having that initial inset editable until the tool is dropped. is this possible ?

in any case man. raw as it is it's still a VERY much needed addition to maya's modelling toolset

Yeah, that's intended. I can switch it, or add another option. The four way pointer didn't make sense cause the up/down functionality wasn't working how I wanted it. Had a few issues with history, and some people not having pycore - so right now i'm removing pycore and still trying to get a good node connection (If anyone has any suggestions on getting history / any script examples, please let me know)

I can set the tool to only be on mmdrag I believe, and I can set it to be default like other maya tools. Editing controls will all be there when node history works correctly.

-robot
  • McBradd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McBradd polycounter lvl 12
    Ok, I'm trying to get this to work with the Maya Bonus tools installed also, and I'm getting the error
    // Warning: Failed to run file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2010/bin/plug-ins/insetCMD.py // 
    // Error:  (insetCMD) // 
    // Error: ImportError: No module named pymel.core // 
    // Warning: Failed to run file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2010/bin/plug-ins/insetCMD.py // 
    // Error:  (insetCMD) //  

Suggestions?
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's missing the pymel lib. You can install it (see pymel reference in maya docs) but i'm in the process of removing it all together so you wont need to.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    THANK GOD AND YOU FOR THIS!
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I'm trying to get this to work with the Maya Bonus tools installed also, and I'm getting the error
    Try latest version
  • Cr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cr greentooth
    It would be awesome if your amazing tool could work on Maya 2009 :)
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try latest version
    Er, now latest - I had wrong file up
    It would be awesome if your amazing tool could work on Maya 2009
    soon
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk wrote: »

v4.5:

2.jpg?1300081059
  • ibarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter polycounter lvl 8
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    someone asked about the location on linux,
    here's where I put the files:

inset.pyc to /usr/autodesk/maya2011-x64/lib/python2.6/site-packages/maya

insetCMD.py to /usr/autodesk/maya2011-x64/bin/plug-ins

&thank you very much for this very useful tool!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thanks for this!

If you could solve this you would be uber champ!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77089&highlight=bevel
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You want the chamfer from 3ds max?
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bevel_ack3.jpg

Really liking how the tools you made are working. Nice and buttery like Silo.

A chamfer functioning like Max would be sweet however what I'm looking for is just for Maya to give accurate results on corner bevels. When creating any shape similar to the ones above the verts/edges go out of alignment along the bevel and require manual tweaking to fix. Most of the time it’s not all that noticeable but it can have a butterfly effect down the line and screw up alignment.

Thanks man!

- IH
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, when I get time I can look in to it, been pretty busy lately though.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be awesome man thanks!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Awesome, can you make it appear in the channel box so I can type in floating point values.
  • sl0throp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll add in my thanks for this flagrantly missing easy functionality in Maya.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And well you're at it you can make a chamfer edge tool like max for smooth modeling. Byron's is great but crashes Maya all the time, especially when using undo or leaving history on an object.
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, can you make it appear in the channel box so I can type in floating point values.
    When Time =\
    Until then you can use -d
    I'll add in my thanks for this flagrantly missing easy functionality in Maya.
    Then don't use it
    And well you're at it you can make a chamfer edge tool like max for smooth modeling. Byron's is great but crashes Maya all the time, especially when using undo or leaving history on an object.
    Same as before, when I get time...
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second tacit math suggestion. It would be great if the base functionality was to middle mouse drag to edit the active inset rather than creating a new one each time the button is released, perhaps you could hit y or numerical enter to accept the inset and then start a new inset. I find I like to enter extrusion tools and then pan around to a different view to make sure I have extruded/inset to the right depth, wouldn't need the channel box stuff so much if this feature were in.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Noticed a potential feature while watching The Dozer DVD by Eat3D (the parts where grids of holes on the outer armor and front scoop are created by selecting and insetting rows of polygons). Unless I've missed it somewhere, a toggle like the current Maya "Keep Faces Together" would be a good addition for both the extrude and inset.

This script is an excellent time saver regardless though. Thanks for adding it to the Maya modeling tool arsenal.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    In Maya 2012 the offset option in the extrude behaves like this script (and how it always should have).

I'll say thanks again for this script because I did get alot of use out of it before 2012.